Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: "Banning" artists temporarily?
Hi all,

Looking for a way to keep a list of artists that I can prevent from coming up in crates or search results for a short time.

One of the regular gigs I do is for a place that has several artists that have been "cancelled" lately, including R. Kelly, Kanye, Lizzo, Tory Lanez and now Ne-Yo and the list of artists is growing and it's becoming tricky to keep track of mentally.

Without getting into the politics or ethics of "canceling artists," let's just put it this way, I have a list of artists that I can not play at some gigs, but but at other gigs they are fine to play, so I don't want to remove them from my library entirely.

Ne-Yo is a tough one because he sings the hook in so many songs that you don't even think about as being his, like a couple of the big Pitbull records, Calvin Harris, Keri Hilson, etc.

Wondering if there's a way to temporarily remove songs containing these artists from showing up at all in VDJ so they can't accidentally be played and then restoring them to their virtual folders later.

I know filter folders can do this but I can't spend an entire gig in a filter folder, the musical gamut I need to play is too wide. Hoping for a way to do this systemwide.

Now that I'm typing it out, maybe the solution is to search for songs containing these artists beforehand and change their color so I can clearly see "don't play this".

Curious to hear other possible approaches to this. Cheers.

Posted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 5:24 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
you could have a colorfilter for containing the name.

Posted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 5:34 am
locodog wrote :
you could have a colorfilter for containing the name.

This is what I absolutely love about VDJ. As soon as I think I've got a handle on everything this program does, someone turns me on to something that I never knew about. Thanks, Locodog!

Posted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 5:46 am
DJMBR01PRO InfinityMember since 2015
How do I block VDJ users that block Ne-Yo?

Posted Wed 16 Aug 23 @ 1:04 pm
Funny that because you're the person who gets most of their posts deleted. Oh the irony.....

Posted Wed 16 Aug 23 @ 1:34 pm
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
DJMBR01 wrote :
How do I block VDJ users that block Ne-Yo?

:D

Posted Wed 16 Aug 23 @ 3:12 pm
bet he looks so cute djing.

Posted Sat 19 Aug 23 @ 5:28 pm
I didn't know Lizzo was cancelled!! Anyway I ignore all that, so far no complaints!

Posted Mon 30 Oct 23 @ 12:34 pm