Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: VDJ freezes on powerful brand new laptop, but does not crash
djmtyxControlleristMember since 2019
Hi all, I have a brand new powerful Laptop, which analyses the stems lightning fast. Nevertheless, the skin of VDJ totally freezes after one hour of use or so. It´s not crashing so no crash report will be sent. Music is playing and I even can stop and start songs on both decks it via the S3 Controller. But I can do nothing on the surface of VDJ, it´s totally freezed. Other components of the computer are accessable and working fine if opened.

Who can help, what can I do to prevent VDJ from freezing ? Thank you so much.    

Technical details: Gaming Laptop with Intel Core i9 13900H, 2000 GB SSD, 64 GB RAM and NVIDIA RTX 4060 Graphic Card. Windows 11 is clean and new activated. The latest version of Virtual DJ was installed only once. 

All drivers, firmware and bios are up to date. Cooling is working perfectly, I use no custom skins etc., no Video at all, no external plugins, just VDJ. And I have no external USB-drive. I use Traktor Kontrol S3 as controller.

Posted Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 2:57 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Brand new laptop? Without even considering anything else, I'd say format it and make a clean OS install, not a factory reset, a full clean install.

Posted Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 3:02 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
At the time VDJ freezes, can you check Task manager to see CPU % and GPU % usage of VirtualDJ (or other App that might spike) ?
Freeze happens while a new Track is loaded / analyzed / Stems computing ?

Have you tried to reproduce without the S3 connected, so put some large Playlist in automix and let it run ?

Posted Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 3:20 pm
locodog wrote :
Brand new laptop? Without even considering anything else, I'd say format it and make a clean OS install, not a factory reset, a full clean install.

Windows 11 was installed totally clean with the ISO-file from the Windows creation tool.

Posted Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 3:28 pm
djdad wrote :
At the time VDJ freezes, can you check Task manager to see CPU % and GPU % usage of VirtualDJ (or other App that might spike) ?
Freeze happens while a new Track is loaded / analyzed / Stems computing ?

Have you tried to reproduce without the S3 connected, so put some large Playlist in automix and let it run ?

It just happened just during mixing 2 loaded songs that had been analyzed (including stems) before. CPU use was 0.6 %. GPU 0 %. I´ll check without S3 and report it. But start/stop with S3 was still working on both decks, I just couldn´t touch/see/move anythig on VDJ because it was freezed. No reaction there though it was reacting to the S3.

Posted Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 3:35 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posted Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 4:53 pm

Posted Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 7:10 pm
djdad wrote :
and the VU meter leds on the S3 were still working/updated properly or frozen while music was still playing ?

Was the EXT button enabled (Nr. 11 https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/ni/s3/layout/mixer.html ) ?

Hi DJ Dad and thanks for yor patience. Today I could reproduce the problem. VDJ Screen freezes totally, no way to do there anything,. But on Traktor S3 I can still play/cue/start/stop etc. songs on both decks, and the VU-meters LEDs on Traktor keep on working properly.

Posted Sun 13 Aug 23 @ 4:25 pm

Posted Sun 13 Aug 23 @ 7:47 pm
(medium english sorry)

First idea to explore:
Remove your laptop battery and do some test.
Windows health checking battery is a painly slowwwwwww .... process.
It fixes my problem with my previous laptop.

Second idea:
You can use free ccleaner.com to manage what start at the computer startup.
in the section Tools, Startup ... make sure to disable a lot of crap in the 4 top tab (Windows, Scheduled task,context menu,windows services) If you dont what it is leave it on but the rest, kill it from the startup.

Third ideas:
An up to date Video card driver is a HUGE thing for virtual DJ AND the resolution that match is super hyper important. If youre screen resolution dont match resolution available in the virtual dj template, the computer ressource is always rezizing constantly the template ... its a ressorce killer. First push your laptop resolution to the max settings, vdj will match it. Seconf, you have to manually update the videocard driver. Windows automatic update wont find a better one. You go to device manager, find video card and spread it to see your laptop videocard model. Then go to AMD or intel to find the latest driver. Use your old video card driver number showned in device manager into google to redirect you to the newer version, often the first google result.

other ideas,: use ccleaner to remove bloatware hidden in windows if not fresh install, make sure all update are done before a live event, ESET essential security work flawless with VDJ vs Norton is a killer for VDJ. An SSD drive resurect old computers, check if yourturtable have a firmware update and/or driver update, check if your laptop motherboard have a bios update, change your cable beetween table and laptop usb port maybe loose or damaged,

I have big confidence in videocard updated & matching screen resolution or battery removed.

Virtual DJ is a great peace of software, there are so much users that if there is a bug from there side, its probably already fixed.

Posted Tue 12 Mar 24 @ 4:28 pm