Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VirtualDJ - Enhancing User Experience: Addressing Key Pain Points
nullcaseControlleristMember since 2022
As a dedicated VirtualDJ user, this past year I spent over 1000 hours exploring your software. I'd like to share some constructive feedback and address a few pain points that I believe need attention:

Inconsistent Auto Sync: The auto sync feature inconsistently judges the beat location, resulting in mix discrepancies. Improving its accuracy would streamline the process of adding songs to my library.

Inaccurate Key Analysis: The key analysis software often fails to accurately recognize a song's key. This issue has led me to stop using it altogether. Enhancing the accuracy of key analysis would greatly benefit DJs relying on this feature.

Off-Phrase Beatgrid: The beatgrid fails to accurately identify phrase starts, requiring manual adjustments for each track. Streamlining this process would save time and ensure smoother mixing.

Mismatched Loudness with Autogain: Autogain frequently leads to songs with mismatched loudness levels, disrupting set flow. A refined algorithm accounting for different genres and mastering styles would improve track volume consistency.

Tedious Handling of Tracks with Variable BPM: Manually specifying BPM for tracks with variable BPM is a tedious process. Simplifying it or implementing automatic detection would enhance the user experience for DJs working with tracks of varying tempos.

Half of my time is spent on these five pain points. Addressing these would significantly enhance the overall user experience. We invest considerable time perfecting our sets, and it would be beneficial for VirtualDJ to provide more accurate and efficient automation.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Posted Mon 29 May 23 @ 11:00 am
The only thing I agree on is analysis of tracks with variable BPM. I've long requested improvements in that area.

Everything else either works fine for me (such as keys) or I don't have an issue with because I can DJ without them (auto sync, track levels , beatgrid).

Posted Mon 29 May 23 @ 12:00 pm
a whole thousand hours? that's cute. i've been using it every night at the club since 2006 through all it's iterations and changes and shockingly enough none of what you listed has been an issue in any way at all.

Inconsistent Auto Sync: i use my ears instead and will continue to do so till deaf or the tinnitus wins

Inaccurate Key Analysis: same answer. if it sounds right -it is and the customers arent' going to care as long as they can keep dancing

Off-Phrase Beatgrid: almost the same answer - if it's off, i give it a nudge. been doing this a whole minute and i don't even think about it.

Mismatched Loudness with Autogain: are your fingers broken that you can't reach out and adjust your audio? nothing is ever going to be as accurate as your own ears

Tedious Handling of Tracks with Variable BPM: easy fix - know your music. plain and simple. not every track is going to be a perfectly studio computer constructed file. use. your. ears.

but that's just my two cents. you do you.

Posted Mon 29 May 23 @ 12:52 pm
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
wildcountryclub wrote :
a whole thousand hours? that's cute. i've been using it every night at the club since 2006 through all it's iterations and changes and shockingly enough none of what you listed has been an issue in any way at all.

Inconsistent Auto Sync: i use my ears instead and will continue to do so till deaf or the tinnitus wins

Inaccurate Key Analysis: same answer. if it sounds right -it is and the customers arent' going to care as long as they can keep dancing

Off-Phrase Beatgrid: almost the same answer - if it's off, i give it a nudge. been doing this a whole minute and i don't even think about it.

Mismatched Loudness with Autogain: are your fingers broken that you can't reach out and adjust your audio? nothing is ever going to be as accurate as your own ears

Tedious Handling of Tracks with Variable BPM: easy fix - know your music. plain and simple. not every track is going to be a perfectly studio computer constructed file. use. your. ears.

but that's just my two cents. you do you.

Sounds like old woman's talk. Give me the typewriter, I don't need all those word processing features :D

Posted Mon 29 May 23 @ 4:12 pm
wrong gender but not wrong about older

i never even touched an electric typewriter till a school typing class in the late 80's, word processor around the same time, rarely had access to computers till college, and dj'ing with a computer wasn't even a thing when i started - but have always been an early adopter if at all possible.
far too many these days rely on software like a crutch to lean on because they ignored basic skill-sets that they never learned and never took the initiative to learn. and yes, i'm guilty of that sometimes too, but when there's a few hundred people on the dance floor i just don't have time to look at a screen and stare at a beatgrid to mix with when i can hear it in the headphones

the software changes and evolves - so do we -but some things just should be learned so they aren't forced to learn the hard way.

Posted Mon 29 May 23 @ 6:27 pm
wildcountryclub wrote :
wrong gender but not wrong about older

i never even touched an electric typewriter till a school typing class in the late 80's, word processor around the same time, rarely had access to computers till college, and dj'ing with a computer wasn't even a thing when i started - but have always been an early adopter if at all possible.
far too many these days rely on software like a crutch to lean on because they ignored basic skill-sets that they never learned and never took the initiative to learn. and yes, i'm guilty of that sometimes too, but when there's a few hundred people on the dance floor i just don't have time to look at a screen and stare at a beatgrid to mix with when i can hear it in the headphones

the software changes and evolves - so do we -but some things just should be learned so they aren't forced to learn the hard way.

incredible

Posted Mon 29 May 23 @ 11:19 pm
I'll put it in a nicer way.... if the software did it all then you wouldn't be a dj you would be at home while the computer did your job. Hone your skills and you control the music, don't rely on the computer to do it all

Posted Tue 30 May 23 @ 1:36 am
djjohnnyrox wrote :
I'll put it in a nicer way.... if the software did it all then you wouldn't be a dj you would be at home while the computer did your job. Hone your skills and you control the music, don't rely on the computer to do it all

Posted Tue 30 May 23 @ 1:47 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It would help if you have some specific examples of songs for each of the points you mention.

Posted Tue 30 May 23 @ 6:40 am
Adion wrote :
It would help if you have some specific examples of songs for each of the points you mention.

Here's an example for Key Analysis which includes 1253 songs across many genres and styles. The "Key" column is VirtualDJ's key analysis. The comment section lists the songs actual key.

https://ufile.io/2baa2po1

What is the best way for me to share some of the other ones?

Posted Tue 30 May 23 @ 7:55 am
gvastePRO InfinityMember since 2019
djjohnnyrox wrote :

yeah, skills are good but if you already have the skills and want to speed up your performance and be a lot more efficient automating stuff, the software needs to works well in that case.

if you want to play your music using vinyls and beatmatch by ear go ahead and be happy, i want to use that time for being focused on other stuff during the performance.

virtualdj has being a powerful companion on my dj carreer and as a technology enthusiast i feel that some stuff needs to be polished to provide a better user experience, if you are comfortable right now, good for you.

Posted Tue 30 May 23 @ 1:35 pm
I see it both ways. I'm 56 and "old school" so I leared to mix on belt drive decks then SL-1200

I get there are people who want do do everything manually however if the software offers automation it should work accurately. Depending on the gig sometimes I will mix the old fashioned way, but other times I want to hit the sync button and be able to mix perfectly without even putting my headphones on.

In all honesty VDJ does this pretty well 99 percent of the time.

Posted Tue 30 May 23 @ 1:46 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
nullcase wrote :
Adion wrote :

Here's an example for Key Analysis which includes 1253 songs across many genres and styles. The "Key" column is VirtualDJ's key analysis. The comment section lists the songs actual key.

https://ufile.io/2baa2po1

What is the best way for me to share some of the other ones?

Thanks, just a (small) list of track names would be fine.

Posted Tue 30 May 23 @ 2:24 pm
nullcase wrote :
The comment section lists the songs actual key

The "actual key" according to who (or what)?

Posted Tue 30 May 23 @ 5:19 pm
gvaste wrote :
i want to use that time for being focused on other stuff during the performance.

I couldn't agree with this more.

Posted Thu 01 Jun 23 @ 6:41 am
Indeed. VDJ is all about technology, and suggestions on what to improve are mostly welcome.

It is unsafe to completely rely on always finding the right key or setting the beatgrid right, yet the better VDJ does that, the more time we can spend on creativity.

It's not because I can still read a paper map that I don't like to rely on my GPS.

Hence, no reason for the hostile reaction of Mme Wildcountryclub.

Posted Thu 01 Jun 23 @ 5:31 pm
nothing hostile about it - just opinion. you can ignore it or not and it won't bother me either way.

Posted Thu 01 Jun 23 @ 6:23 pm
wildcountryclub wrote :
nothing hostile about it - just opinion. you can ignore it or not and it won't bother me either way.

Ok, it just sounded that way... I apologise:)

Posted Fri 02 Jun 23 @ 4:12 pm