Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Disconnecting/Reconnecting CDJs causes sudden Pitch change
adamPRO SubscriberMember since 2022
Connected via 3 USB cables - to 2 CDJs and Mixer (all industry standard Pioneer; models vary depending on venue).

If I'm having issues with the CDJs and need to switch them off (they are only working as MIDI controllers), switching back on and reconnecting will cause a sudden pitch jump when I reconnect.
This is despite all takeover settings changed to Pickup mode.

Invariably causes a noticeable change in pitch and I have to correct it/guess where the pitch slider should have been, hoping that the audience haven't noticed too much.

Posted Sun 16 Apr 23 @ 3:10 am
Bump

Posted Sun 23 Apr 23 @ 11:30 am
Thats is to be expected, I would say

VDJ will ask the controller where the knobs and sliders are currently placed, when it is connected. And if the controller replies (not all controllers support this), VDJ will adjust accordingly as it's start position

The is not related to take-over mode, which is for when the controller is in use

Posted Sun 23 Apr 23 @ 7:39 pm
Thanks, K, I can appreciate this. Only thing is if it asks where the tempo is and a track is currently playing, it often results in a 10-15BPM change... Involving quick thinking/compensation and quite a number of glances from the crowd.

Devs, I can appreciate VirtualDJ asking the CDJ where the "Pitch" (tempo) slider currently is, especially if that channel/deck is empty. But... Increasing/dropping the master track's bpm while in the middle of a set - that's surely not desired in any live or professional situation!

Is it possible to please have a fix?

Posted Sun 18 Jun 23 @ 10:34 am
user25889780 wrote :
Thanks, K, I can appreciate this. Only thing is if it asks where the tempo is and a track is currently playing, it often results in a 10-15BPM change... Involving quick thinking/compensation and quite a number of glances from the crowd.

Devs, I can appreciate VirtualDJ asking the CDJ where the "Pitch" (tempo) slider currently is, especially if that channel/deck is empty. But... Increasing/dropping the master track's bpm while in the middle of a set - that's surely not desired in any live or professional situation!
Is it possible to please have a fix?

A fix? There is no bug
You are really not suppose to connect a controller for the deck that is currently plying and while the deck is mixed in. Isn't that common sense?
I usually connect my controllers before I even open VDJ

Posted Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 7:45 am
If I'm having issues with the CDJs and need to switch them off (they are only working as MIDI controllers), switching back on and reconnecting will cause a sudden pitch jump when I reconnect.

For context, they are only working as MIDI controllers, the audio is direct into the mixer via a third USB cable into the Pioneer mixers. This is not disconnected, only CDJs are switched off (reset) while mixer remains on, playing track from VDJ via the 3rd USB cable.

Posted Sun 25 Jun 23 @ 4:55 am
Hi Klaus,

Thank you for your input. I understand that typically one would connect controllers before starting a set, and I do appreciate your long-standing experience with VirtualDJ. However, my concern isn't about standard DJ practices but about ensuring that the software handles unexpected situations as smoothly as possible.

Here's an example video from last night to show you what I'm experiencing. https://photos.app.goo.gl/jPvpdKePwon3GKn58
As you can hear, it led to a noticeable disruption during the performance. In fact, a dude a few tables away even yelled out; I'm not sure if it's audible in the video.

The reality of live performances is that hardware issues can and do happen. It's a reality that we have to navigate. I think it's in the best interest of everyone, from beginners to professionals who do work in various venues with different equipment setups, for VirtualDJ to manage such scenarios in a way that doesn't disrupt the performance.

My settings are available in another thread, linked here (https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/255070/VirtualDJ_Technical_Support/Stop_Automix_playlist_coming_up.html) for your reference.

Could we possibly explore solutions within the VirtualDJ software that would prevent sudden pitch changes during a hardware reset?

Best regards,
Adam

Posted Sun 29 Oct 23 @ 3:15 am
Adam, I totally get what you are asking. Let’s wait for the devs’ assessment on whether or not this is possible.

Until then, couldn’t you work around it by instant doubling to another deck before resetting the faulty CDJ?

Posted Sun 29 Oct 23 @ 6:20 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
swap_deck would bounce the playing deck to the other side, reconnect and swap_deck again to return to normal

you could maybe do it with a variable condition on pitch triggered by oninint, depends on the sequence of script oninit v HW oninit, you might have to have the 1 & 0 swapped round

oninint
( WHATEVER YOU HAVE ) & set ignorePitchInint 1 & repeat_start rsiPtchRst 2000ms -1 & set ignorePitchInint 0 & repeat_stop rsiPtchRst
pitch slider
var ignorePitchInint 1 ? nothing : pitch

I can think of 3 other possible ways, script is the in between of thing happening on HW and thing happening in vdj, the issue is the HW will send the slider value when it's connected because 99% of the time that's desired, so your options are; stop the script from acting [ignorePitchInint method], let the script act but somewhere that is harmless [first method] or, be aware that the script is going to do that, let the script happen and have something undo the change [didn't include because you could get a ~30ms fluctuation in pitch, but the floor wouldn't care or probably wouldn't hear it]

Or on the meatware level, don't panic and have a procedure; I'm about to reconnect a device, put the slider in the about the right place.

Posted Sun 29 Oct 23 @ 7:43 am