Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: One-Touch Record/Record oninit
adamPRO SubscriberMember since 2022
I generally record all my sets by default, but after moving to VirtualDJ I can't find how to get it to automatically record - I have to click into options and type some placeholder value every time I start a set. Can be a bit tricky when you want to hit the ground running in a busy club.

-Can we put a Date+Time variable in the Record/Filename section of settings?, or:
-Can we put something like this in oninit:
set_var $datetime = countdown '0000/01/01 00:00' &
set recordFile 'D:\VirtualDJ Recordings\record"$datetime.mp3"'

Posted Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 3:01 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You can enable recordAutoStart
recordOverwrite can be set to change the filename automatically adding (1), (2) etc...
You can use "%date", "%time" and "%venue" in the filename, which will automatically be replaced.
("%venue" can be set using "karaoke_venue_name" but probably not very useful when autoStart is on since recording would have started before changing the name)

Posted Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 3:25 pm
Fantastic! Thank you - this is excellent.

Posted Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 9:01 pm
%time is not cool. It add an colon and windows can not handle colon in the filename.

Posted Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 9:06 pm
DennYo Beats wrote :
%time is not cool. It add an colon and windows can not handle colon in the filename.

Beat me to it. Maybe we can use something along the lines of %date %HH %MM.
Does anyone know where we can find a list of these extra variables?

Posted Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 9:22 pm
What I posted is the list. Will fix time.

Posted Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 9:29 pm
@Adion Thank You :)

Posted Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 9:33 pm
Just wanted to say, this is fantastic and has made a huge difference to my work flow. I often need to refer back to my set (or listen to it) and it has made my life so much easier! I don't have to manually set the recording file name etc when I set up and go; it's all automated.
My current setup is:
DJ XYZ - %date %time.mp3
This is automatically imported into MediaMonkey, and it tags the mp3 based on the title of the file.

What would be the icing on the cake, is adding the venue. I've added set_var_dialog 'Venue' to ONINIT, is there a way I can set the filename to:
DJ XYZ - %Venue %day %date %time.mp3?

Also, being able to record as 256 m4a would be great - at least I could save a little more disk space, but not a huge thing. I'm just stoked about all of the above thus far (Rekordbox would only record WAV and was really inflexible).

Posted Mon 13 Mar 23 @ 1:46 am
As mentioned, %venue is already supported.
It doesn't use a variable called venue, but the venue as set by karaoke_venue_name
You can simply use it instead of set_var_dialog

Posted Mon 13 Mar 23 @ 10:17 am
Thank you - I've set ON_INIT to set_var_dialog 'karaoke_venue_name',
but recorded file is
DJ Xyz - %karaoke_venue_name 2023-03-19- 12_56 AM .mp3
This happens even though recording doesn't start until a few min later when I play audio.
The other thing is that even though set_var_dialog pops up, typing into the prompt types into the main window in background - I need to click the foreground prompt window again to type into it.

Posted Sat 18 Mar 23 @ 2:06 pm
As mentioned, to use you need %venue in your filename, not %karaoke_venue_name

Posted Sat 18 Mar 23 @ 2:46 pm
Thank you - this is excellent.

(For those reading in future) I replaced set_var_dialog 'venue' with simply karaoke_venue_name and it works a treat.

Appreciate all your help!

Posted Sun 19 Mar 23 @ 2:34 am