Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Automix with fade and configurable silence between songs
genePRO InfinityMember since 2022
I am trying to use automix do the following:
1) play songs in a list
2) fade the currently playing song after some (configurable) amount of time. If the song is shorter than the desired play duration the entire song should play. And being able to configure the actual length of the fade would be a big plus.
3) have silence after the fade for a configurable amount of time
4) play the next song in the list starting with normal volume.

I can seem to get the automixMaxLength parameter to work (but it doesn't seem exact), and I've tried using various combinations of the other automix settings but I can't seem to get this to work reliably.

I've tried setting the automixMode to "force fade" and "radio" and using negative numbers for the "fadeLength", but it seems to work for some tracks and then doesn't seem to work at all on others.

Maybe I just don't understand how the fields are related... any suggestions are appreciated.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 4:06 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
A particular set of requirements, what purpose?
my first thought is avoid automix, it does its job but once you start laying in conditions it can be annoying, it works its own way despite what's wanted.

I'd need a bit of background before I could write something to suit.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 4:57 am
The application is creating a DJ mix for a ballroom dance that can run unattended (or mostly unattended) since I am one of the dancers and trying to run back to the system to load and start the next song is a pain.
I'd like to have songs that are say under 3 min play in their entirety, but anything longer than that to start to fade to silence at the 3 min mark (fade out maybe 8 seconds or so) at which point the dancers will find new partners (this takes maybe another 8 seconds, so that means 8 seconds of silence) and then the next track should start at full volume (no intro).

And yes, the more I mess with automix the less consistent it seems to behave.

Oh, and one last thing, if possible, to have the songs in the list be able to be played back with preset tempo changes (not asking for a lot, am I? :-) )

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 5:11 am
Ah dance class, I've made stuff like this before.

Can you give more info on this bit, what are you imagining, don't worry about the reality just explain how you think it should go
user25646118 wrote :
...have the songs in the list be able to be played back with preset tempo changes...

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 12:22 pm
I adjust the tempo of some songs to make them more danceable - some faster, some slower. That's actually the reason I chose VDJ; it does that while doing the best job I've found of maintaining pitch of any software I've tried.
So in creating a playlist I'd like to be able to specify a tempo change for individual songs and have that be the tempo the track is played at. And just for ease of use once a track has played the tempo should go back to zero tempo change.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 1:04 pm
willing to use a tag for this?

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 2:06 pm
So what you're suggesting is setting a tag field to the desired playback tempo (or tempo change, whichever) that would then set the actual playback tempo?

That would be great; ideally I want to only set it once for the track and then any time I play it have it played at the desired tempo.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 2:27 pm
ok tell me the tag you want to devote to this job.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 3:19 pm
To be honest, I haven't really dealt with tags much. There are 2 listed - User 1 and User 2 - would either of those be a good choice? Or are those intended for some other purpose?

Are other tags possible/recommended?

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 3:35 pm
user1 is fine, pitches will be based on 100, so for a desired +4% would be 104 in the tag.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 3:41 pm
Sounds great.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 7:49 pm
Check your pms.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 9:50 pm
sorry typo [ one '?' in place of a ':' ], re-sent script.

these dance school things, always similar but always different enough to warrant starting from new, but every time I get an fixed implicit from a custom button

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 3:45 am
Thanks, this is great. It did sort of work but I did run into some inconsistencies so will try the new script. Very cool in any case... one thing I may have misspoken about; I try to keep some headroom on the volume slider (usually set to about 70%) and when I said "playback of next song at full volume I meant there was no ramping like in a mix. Would it be easy enough to have playback start at say 70%?

I have a gig this weekend, and will be able to try it out - and will definitely support the beer fund :-)

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 2:15 pm
surely that's a job for master volume?
anything other than deck fader 100% messes with the fade down time,
at the top you set a variable to 8 for 8 seconds fade duration, inside the script that number is manipulated, so the fade down runs, 100 steps, 1% volume per step 80ms per step

likewise the fade at mechanism, say you set fadeat variable to 180s, well it does checks,
is full song length + fade duration > fade at time ? yes. fade at fadeat time : no, fade at song length - fade duration

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 3:09 pm
Understood. Will have time tonight to try everything... thanks.

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 3:57 pm
again, one more tiny error,

between
wait 8000ms play
needs an &
wait 8000ms & play

I don't know how I missed that.
updated the copy paste version link in pm

edit, link not in pm as I can't send any more pms today lol

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 5:15 pm
Sent pm with feedback - running into an issue when the track length is between start to fade and start to fade + fade time.

Posted Fri 20 Jan 23 @ 1:09 pm
found it, new thing sent

Posted Fri 20 Jan 23 @ 3:54 pm