Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Stems 1.0 - Is there any plans to improve the quality?
Dear team,

I tried serato 3.0 and virtual DJ. I like how serato 3 does the realtime seperation without any needs for dedicated gpu or massive hardware. Virtual DJ has really a better quality if you precompute the song or have the appropriate hardware - but If you have not serato sounds better in terms of stems.
Are there any plans to optimize the realtime stem seperation on laptops without dedicated gpu? I often like to mix songs and my guests wish songs I have never played before, are streamed and therefor are not precomputed. In serato I am able to do this very quickly with my CPUs - the song is analyized in about 10 seconds and I can use the stem seperation and cue it on my headphones. In virtual DJ I need to use the old Stems 1.0 with lower quality or ned to wait a loooooong time.
So are there any effort to improve the quick stem seperations in virtual DJ or ist the further development completly based on stems 2.0 and dedicated GPU laptops?

Thank you in advance

Posted Sat 07 Jan 23 @ 7:15 pm
docb-djPRO InfinityMember since 2019
My 2cents:

As a long time user of Serato (and ScratchLive before that), VDJ's 1.0 stems are only slightly less quality than Serato. Ever since VDJ came out with their stems, Serato has been bugged to implement stems. I was ready to go back to Serato when they introduced stems. Sadly for Serato I found their stems to be effectively equal to VDJ Stems 1.0. Sure a stem in isolation compare might sound better in Serato (though I found this only slightly true for vocals). In the mix I found it hard to tell between Serato and VDJ 1.0 stems.

VDJ stems 2.0 vs Serato is a easy choice. VDJ all the way. Yes the hardware requirements are high but well worth it (IMHO)

Serato has a massive negative against it in that adding additional controllers is hard. VDJ has their huge mapping of supported controllers and then a huge list of user added controllers & configs. VDJ also much better documentation and forum support than Serato. Dedicated support for both is as one would expect: Great.

Posted Sat 07 Jan 23 @ 10:24 pm
Not really possible.
The huge improvements in STEMS 2.0, that puts VDJ past what Serato can do, is only possible because of the added resource use
Now that doesn't need to be from a GPU. You can calculate STEMS 2.0 on CPUs too - I just did a few hours ago. It's just a lot slower

Posted Sun 08 Jan 23 @ 12:31 pm
"In serato I am able to do this very quickly with my CPUs - the song is analyized in about 10 seconds and I can use the stem seperation and cue it on my headphones. In virtual DJ I need to use the old Stems 1.0 with lower quality or ned to wait a loooooong time."

Thats right!
My i7 does it with Serato without batting an eyelid...

With VDJ, the processor doesn't make it (or ned to wait a loooooong time)!!!

"VDJ's 1.0 stems are only slightly less quality than Serato" -----> :-) smile

Posted Sun 08 Jan 23 @ 9:46 pm
I dont understand, why vdj have to make stems 1 better, now there is stems 2,
in a few years nobody talk about stems 1, because every hardware will analyses stems 2 in seconds.
Now u have to get a pc with a fast gpu like rtx 3060 with a high tdp or wait two months to buy the new generation rtx 40.
As a pro-dj you earn enough money to buy new hardware and go with the time.
On the other side dj was never a cheap hobby, in the early years i spend all my money for new records.

Posted Mon 09 Jan 23 @ 10:08 am
Sure there are always newer latops and hardware and everything will get faster, but also there are always new and more efficient programs to get more out of less.
The demixing of audio has a lot of momentum right now and there are many good algorithms to get stems out of a mix https://www.aicrowd.com/challenges/music-demixing-challenge-ismir-2021/leaderboards

And I do have systems without such dedicated gpus and ask me if virtual DJ is interrested to optimize technique based on cpu only or much less hardwarepower so I can get better quality with older systems. Sure the 2.0 stems are and will be always better but with much more power.

Posted Mon 09 Jan 23 @ 3:06 pm
Again u want stems 2 but wont buy the hardware so u only get stems 1
if is set correctly is work well but not perfect.
Stems 2 also not the perfect, because its separate live on demand the vocals and so on,
if u have the right hardware.
No company while work on a old build to make it better, if they have a better new version.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 23 @ 9:31 am