Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Stems engine error on my new m2 mac
I have been running virtual dj on my Mac book air M1 chip fine. Stems 2 working fine. I’ve upgraded to a new Mac book air with m2 chip and everytime I open the software I get “stems engine error”. It won’t do the stems whilst playing live like my m1 Mac did. Does anyone know if there’s a setting somewhere I’m missing as it’s proving to be a major waste of a lot of money and time and a pain in the butt!

Posted Sat 17 Dec 22 @ 7:43 pm
tonymsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Same issue here with a macbook pro M1. With a fresh install of macos ventura and Virtual DJ the issue can be resolved, but i noticed that if I use the migration tool to restore a backup made by time machine, the problem appears again!

Posted Sat 07 Jan 23 @ 9:48 am
mpuschPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Interested in this as well - I just migrated from M1 to M2 Mac, and am getting Stem engine error every time the program is launched.

I tried uninstalling, deleting all user settings, then re-installing, but am still getting the same error.

Seems like a fairly serious issue, may want to prioritize this one.

Posted 2 days ago @ 7:07 am
We have analyzed and explained why this happens, quite a few times allready.
In short:
It's a bug from Apple
The only way to solve this is to reformat your MAC and set it up without using Time Machine or iCloud to migrate.

A quick search in the forums should bring a quite long and technical post of WHY this is happening, and WHY it's out of our hands to fix.

Posted 2 days ago @ 7:12 am
Cool.. wish I had known this before buying this computer, and then wasting my whole day setting it up. VDJ needs an unmissable warning that it is incompatible with macOS migration - i imagine if I wasted hundreds of dollars in equipment and time, presumably others have too.

Clearly it isn't that easy to find the answer to this - when searching the error I received, all I found was this thread from a year ago (which didn't get any responses). Would you mind providing the link to the answer instead of telling me to keep searching?

Posted 2 days ago @ 7:42 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Don't shoot the messenger.
In order to be able to use the M chip to do the AI stuff that produces stems, Apple REQUIRES that you encrypt the process with some of it's own tools, and also use some encryption keys provided by the OS.

When you transfer your settings from another Mac with Time Machine/iCloud the encryption process breaks because Apple also transfers "wrong" encryption keys from the old machine to the new one, and there's no way to reset them.

So, go visit apple.com and ask them to fix their migrate tools (Time Machine and iCloud) that transfer wrong / invalid encryption keys between different systems when they shouldn't.
It's unacceptable for a company like apple to have this issue not fixed for 4 years now..

Then, once apple fixes the issue, come back and complain, and we will do our part..

Posted 2 days ago @ 8:49 am
Thanks..

I contacted apple support and complained about this, and sent them this info as well.

Hopefully someday they will do something correctly on the first try. I have a theory that they knowingly release OS updates that don't work. The apple mindset seems to be "developing exclusively for hardware that we literally designed is hard, so close is good enough!". I feel terrible for anyone who paid full price for a mac.. it's truly a disaster.

Posted yesterday @ 1:02 pm