Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: AMD Laptops and Stems 2.0 - Page: 1
I looking for thoughts and experiences with AMD CPUs working with VDJ 2023 with stems 2.0. Ive been a longtime Intel Core user looking to upgrade to a stems 2.0 capable lappy. AMD seems to be a lot cheaper. What are yall thoughts? Im still using a Vestax VCI-400.

Posted Wed 14 Dec 22 @ 1:31 am
just like with apple... there is no amount of money that would make me use AMD professionally. those are my final thoughts on that.

Posted Wed 14 Dec 22 @ 3:56 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
AMD CPU's are fine, but for realtime stems 2.0 neither AMD or Intel CPU's are fast enough, and you'd still need a fast discrete GPU as well. (Which can be intel, amd or nvidia)

Posted Wed 14 Dec 22 @ 5:45 am
Adion wrote :
AMD CPU's are fine, but for realtime stems 2.0 neither AMD or Intel CPU's are fast enough, and you'd still need a fast discrete GPU as well. (Which can be intel, amd or nvidia)

Is there a list of gpus the are compatible because Ive only heard of the nvidia gtx cards which intel and AMD gpus are compatible?

Posted Wed 14 Dec 22 @ 6:15 am
The RX 6000 series from AMD should be pretty fast, and the Intel ARC gpu's seem to be ok too.
Not sure what's available in laptops currently, I think Nvidia's RTX is still the most common available in laptops.

Posted Wed 14 Dec 22 @ 6:35 am
how about intel Iris?

Posted Wed 14 Dec 22 @ 6:46 am
Iris is integrated in the CPU, not discrete.
I think the fastest ones get about 2x speed, so not really comfortable for real-time use.

Posted Wed 14 Dec 22 @ 7:14 am
There was a previous post with a GPU stems 2.0 chart that gave the speed of each GPU card but I can't find it. Can someone post a link to it?

Posted Fri 16 Dec 22 @ 12:06 am
Here you go

Posted Fri 16 Dec 22 @ 12:36 am
any thought on nvidia quadro m or quadro rtx. Which Radeon RX series. Better yet how about a chart with this information stated.

Posted Fri 16 Dec 22 @ 12:56 am
Not trying to be that guy But if you're buying a laptop for stems performance get the 14 or 16 inch MacBook Pro It just works so well

Posted Fri 16 Dec 22 @ 4:25 am
djjohnnyrox wrote :
Not trying to be that guy But if you're buying a laptop for stems performance get the 14 or 16 inch MacBook Pro It just works so well
Nah Im good...

Posted Fri 16 Dec 22 @ 4:30 am
djjohnnyrox wrote :

It would need to be M1, M1pro or M2 based to work well with stems 2.0 real-time separation
(they may all be that now - not sure)
And even with that the will be quite a lot slower than newer Nvidia RTX GPUs
So a decent Windows based gaming laptop is still the best choice IMO

Posted Fri 16 Dec 22 @ 7:54 am
M1 Pro at 18x is not that far off from most laptops with RTX 3000 series I think, so if mac is your thing that should certainly be considered.

For nVidia Quadro I can't say. You can look up the chip model they use, and then compare the processing power with one of the more common RTX's to get an idea of what they might be up to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

For AMD, the Radeon RX 5000/6000 (XT) series seem to be between 10x and 20x, so these would work too.
The slowest AMD that might still be acceptable for real-time use seems to be the Radeon RX 560X at around 5x

Posted Fri 16 Dec 22 @ 8:14 am
etjnyPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I have a full size PC for my man cave with a Pioneer DDJ 1000 SRT controller. It's an I7 8th gen, 1TB SSD boot drive, 8TB Regular hd running on Windows 11. Had only onboard video which was ok for Stems 1.0 but obviously not for 2.0. Didn't want to spend the crazy $ for an Nvidia GPU and did ask the question if AMD GPUs were supported but got mixed replies. Took the plunge on black friday and got an MSI 6650XT for around $250. It's comparable to a 3060 Nvidia in speed. Happy to report after my upgrade, VDJ told me I was Stems 2.0 compatible and it's been rock solid so far. Shader video looks great and stems 2.0 is amazing!

Posted Sat 17 Dec 22 @ 10:31 pm
I have a GTX1050Ti GPU card in my desktop PC which is supposedly compatible but it will run for 10 seconds or so before throwing a "Stems engine error"?

So I handed the task to the CPU which is a i7-7700k @ 5GHz & that will run at 1.5X ie. not quite good enough for reliable real time separation.

For comparison the CPU in my laptop (i7-8550U) runs slower than real-time.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 22 @ 12:56 pm
The 1050Ti seems to be a weak point, I just got a new laptop with the mobile version of that card and it won't work either.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 22 @ 3:01 pm
docb-djPRO InfinityMember since 2019
Could atomix chime in on how other discrete GPU chips perform?

Specifically I'm looking at a laptop (Lenovo) with a GeForce MX550 GPU. Would stems 2.0 work at similar speed to RTX Nvidia?

Posted Thu 22 Dec 22 @ 12:24 am
I gathered this list wondering what on the list works and what doesn't.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 23 @ 12:57 pm
There are so many laptops out there with the RTX3050Ti out there but as that chart shows the performance isn't great at all.

Well not for stems anyway as they won't run.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 23 @ 1:32 pm
95%