Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Are pre-calculated STEMS (2.0) possible with streaming?
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
Hello all,
The new stems 2.0 might be a good excuse to upgrade my laptop :). However, I am not sure pre-calculated stems (by dropping them into the "Stems" folder) would work with streamed song... which means I would need a laptop with a GPU that is powerful enough for real-time stem separation. I understand that a RTX 3060 would be ok for (almost) real-time stems. Any comment/thoughts/... would be welcome, so I don't buy the wrong laptop :).

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 11:49 am
It only works with services that allow cache files, so it's a no for Deezer, Tidal etc.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 11:54 am
Thanks for your quick answer... sad, but understandable.
Now a practical question... if a graphic card analyses stems on a 15x speed, it would mean that a 4-minute song would be processed for real-time-stem separation in 240/15 seconds = 16 seconds. This seems reaonsable to me, as the song is (usually) not loaded to the deck in the last seconds. So, I assume that this is feasible in practice... but again, any opinions are welcome :).

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 12:02 pm
Sepatro wrote :
Thanks for your quick answer... sad, but understandable.
Now a practical question... if a graphic card analyses stems on a 15x speed, it would mean that a 4-minute song would be processed for real-time-stem separation in 240/15 seconds = 16 seconds. This seems reaonsable to me, as the song is (usually) not loaded to the deck in the last seconds. So, I assume that this is feasible in practice... but again, any opinions are welcome :).

Yes

But even better: IT will start separating around your current position.
So it will be ready to use almost instantly with a 15x separation speed, and will continue working as long as you don't plan to jump anywhere else in the track.
The idea is, that if you don't plan to jump (going back to your current cue is fine, of course), then you are ready to go as soon as the little tick is shown on the stems pad page

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 12:06 pm
It actually analyzes the positions around your cue points in priority, so even if you jump to a cue point before the song is fully analyzed, it should still be seamless.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 12:25 pm
Thanks gentlemen for this interesting info, really valuable. I am however now using a laptop with a GTX1050, and the stems processing in real time does not seem to work at all... is this normal?

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 2:42 pm