Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Can you create stems to a separate hard drive?
Can I have a separate hard drive just for stems? When I make a stem file can it automatically be stored on the separate drive.

Posted Mon 21 Nov 22 @ 10:34 am
Don't think this has been implemented, currently they have to be stored in the source folder which can be an issue due to their file size.

I asked about this when the stems feature originally came out but never heard anything back.

Posted Mon 21 Nov 22 @ 10:48 am
thank you. I would like to do probably what you have thought about. Store them separately from my music folders for nights when I dont need them and to keep my main drive from filling up.

Posted Mon 21 Nov 22 @ 12:19 pm
Yeah that was my thought too initially but now I've bought a machine that should create them instantly hopefully.

Posted Mon 21 Nov 22 @ 12:35 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Yeah that was my thought too initially but now I've bought a machine that should create them instantly hopefully.

Curious: A machine? can you explain?

Posted Tue 22 Nov 22 @ 4:53 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
machine as in laptop/pc

Posted Tue 22 Nov 22 @ 5:06 pm
Can we get this implemented? Would be easier for syncing folders if the stem files could be kept separately in another directory or drive.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 10:01 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Can we get this implemented? Would be easier for syncing folders if the stem files could be kept separately in another directory or drive.

2nd this request

Posted Thu 24 Nov 22 @ 12:58 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Imagine you have the same filename in 2 different folders but the filesize is different (not the same quality or encoder, ...), do you overwrite stems on the external hard drive? It would mean to rename the stems name to keep both versions (or use an unique external reference ID for the name, sort of index in the database) or create the same folders tree.

Posted Thu 24 Nov 22 @ 8:27 am
I am pretty sure the stems files have a .vdjstem file extension so it should be seen as a separate file completely.

Posted Thu 24 Nov 22 @ 12:29 pm
Perhaps a link in options to the stem folder

Posted Thu 24 Nov 22 @ 12:44 pm
What DJCEL meant is what happens if you have two different files with the same filename and you try to prepare stems.
The files would normally be in different folders for this to be possible. But when you try to generate stems out of them on the same folder, there will be an issue.

Anyway, time will tell.

Posted Thu 24 Nov 22 @ 1:08 pm
That makes sense, and just shows i didn't read DJCEL comment properly.

Posted Thu 24 Nov 22 @ 2:10 pm