Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Video Discussion

Topic: Add to search dB / Search not working as expected
Until now, when I search for a song and I am searching in a chosen sub-directory, I get search results only from within that directory and from nowhere else, just as you would expect. Likewise, if I search from within the root directory, everything appears.

If I was in a sub-directory and searched for a song which was not in that particular sub-directory, it wouldn't appear. It's all worked perfectly ... until this week.

Enter karaoke!

I decided to take up karaoke again recently. I got my old karaoke collection and added it to the hard drive, then I used the "Batch > Add to search dB" function from *within* the Karaoke sub-directory. This would then ensure that I didn't get karaoke files appearing when I was searching for traditional music files from within my Music sub-folder, only that's not what's happening now.

I now get search results of all my karaoke collection when I am searching from within my Music sub-directory.

I would like to be able to see only search results of karaoke files when I am within the Karaoke sub-directory and see only music files when searching in the Music sub-directory.

This has always worked perfectly until now. What have I done wrong? How can I achieve this please? I can't see anything specifically about this in the manual.

I'm sure I will need to delete the database and start again from scratch.

Thanks - John

Posted Wed 09 Nov 22 @ 10:55 pm
If the cdg file disapears for any reason the music becomes mp3 only and will not show up as karaoke , if you have karaoke videos , use the tag editor to flag them as karaoke , this has happened to me , especially if you are copying files back and forth and the cdg ( graphics file ), wanders away into obscurity.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 2:58 am
Thanks Brian.

Will watch out for that.

Still trying to figure it all out but getting there very slowly.

Cheers!

Posted Wed 30 Nov 22 @ 2:58 am
It's still not working.

I decided to delete the database and started again from scratch.

I also spoke with a DJ friend earlier today and he has the same problem.

I want to select either the MUSIC or KARAOKE folders individually and only get search results from the respective folder. It doesn't matter where I search from, ALL files appear.

What have we missed?

Posted Thu 01 Dec 22 @ 12:07 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013

Posted Thu 01 Dec 22 @ 1:16 am
Thanks LOCODOG.

I think I'm there!

I tried the suggestions in that thread and still couldn't achieve the kind of selective search I am looking for.

For instance, setting "searchInDB" to NO seemed to get me to a half way point and restricted files from other directories appearing. But even then, when searching within each MAIN folder, the song would only appear if I was in the correct sub-directory. All other sub-folders were ignorred. I changed the search options, ticking "Search all local files" and, as you would expect, it was back to square one.

Then I discovered something. In BROWSER OPTIONS at the bottom left of the screen, I found that I could "Show only ...." music files, video files and karaoke files. This has achieved my goal. Phew!

It's only taken me several weeks to find this, but then I rarely use VDJ outside of doing discos - and I've been using it for 13 years!

VDJ is a truly spectacular piece of programming, but there is a LOT to learn. I am only glad that the default setting ensures that the most popular settings are already pre-set.

Now to work out why the MATH Engine is putting everything into STEMS mode when it's actually switched OFF. lol.

Seriously, thanks again for your help. I'm sure I wouldn't have got this far by myself.

Cheers all!

Posted Thu 01 Dec 22 @ 1:47 pm