Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Songs being removed from my playlist - Page: 1
This afternoon, I opened my VirtualDJ to go through some songs I had been carefully curating for the past three months for a gig next week. When I went to the playlist and started scrolling through my songs, more than half of my songs had been removed from the playlist, they were still on my computer and I know that I didn't remove them. I have no backups and I am pretty stressed. What do I do?

Posted Sun 13 Mar 22 @ 4:28 pm
Yestedayi had the same problem, songs dissapear from my virtual folders, when i close vdj and startup again they are back?. Please helppp

Posted Sun 13 Mar 22 @ 4:44 pm
edmulder wrote :
Yestedayi had the same problem, songs dissapear from my virtual folders, when i close vdj and startup again they are back?. Please helppp

external drive that got disconnected ? (or turned "off" by power saving feature)

Posted Sun 13 Mar 22 @ 7:51 pm
no both not??

Posted Mon 14 Mar 22 @ 11:38 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Quick filter active perhaps?

Posted Mon 14 Mar 22 @ 12:00 pm
no also not???

Posted Mon 14 Mar 22 @ 12:23 pm
They are still not back and it isn't Quick Filter

Posted Tue 15 Mar 22 @ 4:19 pm
Same issue here just happened to me.

Been trying to make a playlist, add 80 songs to it. A few minutes later the playlist is down to 40. I re-added songs and a few minutes later back down at 38 this time.

Posted Fri 08 Apr 22 @ 6:27 pm
dmuziiPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I, too, am having the same issue. Seems to have happened after this last update.

I have a macbook pro on OS Monterey 12.2.1. VDJ release v8.5-arm 6878.

Posted Sat 09 Apr 22 @ 10:19 pm
Been investigating more, with not much to share. I did talk with Support and they stated they are unaware of this issue. Never had it until the new release however now even reverting back to old releases still have the same behavior.

It does tend to happen more when editing a playlist, I'll add a few songs and 20 will get deleted. If I don't make changed to the playlist, it seems to be ok.

I'm about to write some code to identify what is causing it to change. Is it the pfiles that are updating it? Is it virtual DJ bug? Not sure

Posted Sun 10 Apr 22 @ 2:30 am
Been having pretty good luck. I did a complete uninstall of VDJ, deleted all the folders on both my external HDD and Internal, deleted my Itunes Music Library database and then emptied the recycle bin then restarted the computer.

Downloaded build 6732, and installed it with my external drive unplugged. After it launched, I went into settings and removed the values from iTunesDatabase file,and Serato Folder.

Launched VDJ, and closed it. Plugged in my hard drive, and reopened VDJ.

Created two playlists both over 200 songs, tried removing songs from them, adding more, removing more. Neither playlist has deleted files and both are still holding strong.

I suspect that iTunes is changing the playlist when files are added as there are background processes that always run even when it is closed(I'm using a mac with Monterey 12.3.1 installed). Doing it this way I have encountered no errors. Could also be a bug in later versions of VDJ.

If things change with my playlist and stuff gets deleted, or I find more information out I will post again.

Posted Sun 10 Apr 22 @ 3:35 am
Just was making a new play list and this happened again, so it did not fix the issue. I've tracked it down to virtual DJ is doing something I just don't know what.

Posted Mon 11 Apr 22 @ 8:10 pm
dje558ControlleristMember since 2014
Hi Everyone, I saw this problem 2 weeks ago i did mail support but with no response,

So basically what happens with a song you remove or delete of your playlist VDJ sends it to your recycle bin so you can restore your songs from there if you dont clear your bin, this bug happened from the last update but having no joy from Support.

Hope this helps

I lost about 400 songs like this

Posted Sat 15 Jun 24 @ 8:08 am
I am also puzzled with what VDJ is doing behind the scenes with `.vdjfolder` files.

1. create a new MyList and observe a new empty `.vdjfolder` file created in a subfolder as expected
2. add tracks to that newly-created list and observe the `.vdjfolder` file being moved to another location somehow influenced by the path of the tracks being added.

VDJ creates a whole new `VirtualDJ` folder at another drive letter (this is windows) like it's another VDJ "home" and stars writing `Cache` and `MyLists` and `dababase.xml` files at that new location.

Very disturbing as this behavior is unexpected - VDJ should not be writing files in different locations.

And yes - this just started happening in June, and the only response from VDJ support has been that they don't support folder to drive letter mapping when I'm just trying to understand all this sporadic file movement by VDJ.

Posted Mon 17 Jun 24 @ 10:47 pm
For problem 1, how are you "removing" the files from the playlist?

"Remove from this List" is the Context menu option that removes files from the list. Anything in the File operations context submenu is an actual file operation at the OS level that would delete stuff. Filter Folders generate the list on click so only OS level operations would apply there.

For Problem 2, that sounds like expected behaviour for Hotplug ability of Lists (enabled by default for newly created lists) - the database and Lists are distributed across all drives, with each Drive database covering the files that are on it. VirtualDJ takes care of merging the database and Lists on all drives to form the whole picture, not only on startup, but while running as Drives are connected/disconnected, allowing for on-demand usage of parts of your collection as needed (separating the parts of the collection among different drives).
I think the case you are describing sounds like this: if it happens that all of the songs are on external drives and Hotplug is enabled, the entire representation of that list is probably moved to that drive.

Take a look at the MyLists section of the Folders List part of the User Manual

Question: Is VirtualDJ showing all of the songs you expect in the Lists you have made?

Note: this is all assuming that you are using a VirtualDJ 2024 version (b8000 and up I think)

Posted Tue 18 Jun 24 @ 12:20 am
@DJ VINYLTOUCH thank you for responding, and I think you're spot on with the HotPlug feature of the lists which I forgot is enabled by default.
Yes: 2024 b8184

Those were Step 1 and Step 2 in my post above, and that's exactly what you described - the list is created on the main drive in Step 1 and moved when tracks are added in Step 2 to where ALL the tracks in the list reside.

Okay this makes sense.

So, VDJ would merge the database and lists across all drives, and I'm assuming it would also do that during DB backup. What happens on restore? I'm assuming if all the drives are present, VDJ would distribute the lists and the database as you've described. And if a drive is missing, the restore would place the lists that should be on the missing drive on the main drive?
And what would happen if the restore process finds those tracks on the main drive as well?
Something to test...

Again, thanks for the explanation - much appreciated!

Posted Tue 18 Jun 24 @ 1:37 am
Honestly, that's a good question...I don't have an answer off the top of my head for that, especially when it comes to playlists that are split betweem the internal and one or more external drives (I normally keep all my music on an external and clone that + the VirtualDJ folder with an external tool because there was a bug that caused a failure to replicate sub Virtual Folders and their contents when I tried it it last (I think it's been reported fixed now...can't fully remember)). It's also not immediately obvious to me what would happen from the Database Backup page of the User Manual, so I'll have to read more/experiment to learn what happens...maybe the Devs/Mods could chime in here.

Posted Tue 18 Jun 24 @ 4:58 am
Watching this post, my VDj has been doing the same thing - My question is... why did VDJ try to fix what wasn't broken to begin with?

HotPlug is useless to most DJs and splitting a list/files across different locations sounds like a it's making the CPU do alot more hard work than it needs to..

This has caused me no end of issue - Turning up to a wedding or corporate event to realise the lists your carefully curated over days/weeks for the client are not saved... (if I have a heart attack VDJ, I'm blaming it on you..) I'm exporting each and every list as a m3u backup at the moment until they fix this monumental issue..

Posted Fri 21 Jun 24 @ 10:32 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Not sure I understand, if you create a list with songs that are on the external, then you better bring the external to the wedding too, otherwise you wouldn't have the songs anyway?

Posted Fri 21 Jun 24 @ 10:48 am
Just to add to what @Adion already said

user12960096 wrote :
HotPlug is useless to most DJs and splitting a list/files across different locations sounds like a it's making the CPU do alot more hard work than it needs to.. .
This has caused me no end of issue - Turning up to a wedding or corporate event to realise the lists your carefully curated over days/weeks for the client are not saved... (if I have a heart attack VDJ, I'm blaming it on you..) I'm exporting each and every list as a m3u backup at the moment until they fix this monumental issue..

This sounds like you don't understand the feature/how to work with it. HotPlug assign list/part of lists to the drives that host those songs in the list, allowing you to connect/disconnect the drive at any point after startup and have VirtualDJ's view of the collection update at that point to add/remove songs. If you do use this festure, it is up to you to make sure that you connect the drives that host the music. It's probably one of the best collection organization features introduced to date - you only see what you have connected...by its description alone you can see that you can't just lose songs, unless you are saying you have connected all of the drves you know have the songs on it and it still doesn't show the songs/lists (I did see this sporadically and reported it - it was fixed in b8195, which unfortunately, hasn't been released on the stable channel yet).

Even in the non-hotplug sense (and Hot plug can be disabled per list as well), if you tried to use a song from a list that VirtualDJ couldn't find, it would report the track as missing.

Posted Fri 21 Jun 24 @ 12:02 pm
95%