Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Word wrap on a text box
Hopefully someone on here can stop me going round in circles, have created a very simple remote screen that just displays the track, artist and comments fields stacked for deck A and deck B. Is there a way to get the comments field to automatically word wrap across multiple lines if the text is to big for the width of the field. I can get text to display across multiple lines on the remote display, but only if it is split into multiple lines when entered in the comments field. Hoping there is some format command or something I can add to the xml file that will do it automatically. Any help appreciated, very new to playing about with xml files so apologies if it something really obvious I’ve missed along the way!!

Posted Fri 28 Jan 22 @ 3:29 am
try this

<textzone>
<text multiline="yes" />
</textzone>

Posted Fri 28 Jan 22 @ 11:05 am
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. Doesn't seem to do what I want it to do, have tried adding in in various places within the line that formats the text for box on the remote screen but still just displaying the text as a single line that rolls off the screen. Have attached the lines from the XML file below:-

<textzone>
<pos x="50" y="+60"/>
<size width="500" height="300"/>
<text valign="top" color="textdark" action="get_text '`get_loaded_song &quot;comment&quot;`'"/>
</textzone>

Posted Fri 28 Jan 22 @ 11:45 am

<textzone>
<pos x="50" y="+60"/>
<size width="500" height="300"/>
<text valign="top" color="textdark" multiline="yes" action="get_loaded_song &apos;comment&apos;"/>
</textzone>

Posted Fri 28 Jan 22 @ 4:49 pm
thanks for the suggestions, but its still not doing what I need it to, just seems to ignore the multiline="yes" command.
I have stripped the instructions back to as simple as possible so in theory nothing spurious elsewhere should cause any issues with the formatting command on the last box. I've posted the whole script below, it just refuses to split the comments box over multiple lines if the text is too long to fit on one line. It will happily display across multiple lines to fill the space of the box if the comments field on the tabs page is formatted with line breaks to split the text onto multiple line, but that's a right pain to do as that field doesn't accept line breaks when you enter details into it, so it has to be done outside of VDJ and then pasted in and even that doesn't always work. Sure its something really simple missing from the script, but no idea what!

<skin name="My Skin" nbdecks="2" width="1024" height="600">
<font name="Arial" size="30" weight="bold"/>
<group name="D1_INFOLines3">
<deck deck="left">
<textzone>
<pos x="30" y="0"/>
<size width="930" height="32"/>
<text action="get_title"/>
</textzone>
<textzone>
<pos x="30" y="+30"/>
<text valign="top" action="get_artist"/>
</textzone>
<textzone>
<pos x="30" y="+60"/>
<size width="930" height="200"/>
<text valign="top" multiline="yes" action="get_comment"/>
</textzone>
</deck>
</group>

<group name="D2_INFOLines3">
<deck deck="right">
<textzone>
<pos x="30" y="300"/>
</textzone>
<textzone>
<pos x="30" y="330"/>
<text action="get_artist"/>
</textzone>
<textzone>
<pos x="30" y="360"/>
<text scroll="auto" valign="top" multiline="yes" action="get_comment"/>
</textzone>
</deck>
</group>

</skin>

Posted Sat 29 Jan 22 @ 12:27 pm
thanks for the suggestions, but its still not doing what I need it to, just seems to ignore the multiline="yes" command.
I have stripped the instructions back to as simple as possible so in theory nothing spurious elsewhere should cause any issues with the formatting command on the last box. I've posted the whole script below, it just refuses to split the comments text over multiple lines if the text is too long to fit on one line. It will happily display across multiple lines to fill the space of the box if the comments field on the tabs page is formatted with line breaks to split the text onto multiple line, but that's a right pain to do as that field doesn't accept line breaks when you enter details into it, so it has to be done outside of VDJ and then pasted in and even that doesn't always work. Sure its something really simple missing from the script, but no idea what. It's so close to what I want it to do, just need to resolve this one issue!

<skin name="My Skin" nbdecks="2" width="1024" height="600">
<font name="Arial" size="30" weight="bold"/>
<group name="D1_INFOLines3">
<deck deck="left">
<textzone>
<pos x="30" y="0"/>
</textzone>
<textzone>
<pos x="30" y="+30"/>
<text valign="top" action="get_artist"/>
</textzone>
<textzone>
<pos x="30" y="+60"/>
<text valign="top" multiline="yes" action="get_comment"/>
</textzone>
</deck>
</group>

<group name="D2_INFOLines3">
<deck deck="right">
<textzone>
<pos x="30" y="300"/>
</textzone>
<textzone>
<pos x="30" y="330"/>
<text action="get_artist"/>
</textzone>
<textzone>
<pos x="30" y="360"/>
<text scroll="auto" valign="top" multiline="yes" action="get_comment"/>
</textzone>
</deck>
</group>

</skin>

Posted Sat 29 Jan 22 @ 12:28 pm
Hmmm. You said a REMOTE skin. I missed that.
Remote does not support multiline text.
Maybe it will get added on a future update!

Posted Sat 29 Jan 22 @ 12:43 pm