Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: rane one, skin question
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I want to add a armed visual for the 6 fx slots with the rane 1 [for default:pro]
I added a visual to the fxdrop define [at the very end of the define] [and added the placeholder, condition1]
also added similar to fxdropshort [different width]

<visual source="[CONDITION1]">
<pos x="-1" y="+0"/>
<size width="133" height="26"/>
<on color="#00000000" border="#808080" border_size="1"/>
</visual>

then where fxdrop is called I append the panel with
condition1="var '$fx1' on ? true : false"/>

so far so good this end, but the rane1 user is reporting the visual only shows when the paddle is down
He toggled a var [$fx1] from a custom button as a test but got the same result.

what's happening here? some sort of controller var issue I'm missing or something?

Posted Thu 27 Jan 22 @ 10:16 pm

Posted Thu 27 Jan 22 @ 10:48 pm
I think you need to define the visual type as well
eg

<visual type="onoff" source="[CONDITION1]">
<pos x="-1" y="+0"/>
<size width="133" height="26"/>
<on color="#00000000" border="#808080" border_size="1"/>
<off color="#00000000" border="black" border_size="1"/>
</visual>

Also the condition1 can be simply
get_var '$fx1'

(since $fx1 is either on or off - 0 or 1)

Posted Thu 27 Jan 22 @ 11:03 pm
Thanks I'll give that a try,
weird that it works this end without a type.

Posted Thu 27 Jan 22 @ 11:31 pm
Seems that wasn't the fix, I didn't include a off state but it seems so odd that the paddle makes a difference. [visual doesn't work until a paddle is down, but then it works on both decks]
It's like there's something that isn't apparent from reading the mapping.
he using default mapping, and that's forcing 6fx

arm button appear to be a switch [given that it uses down, instead of querying the var, & led is HW controlled]
down ? set '$fx1' on & var 'fxon' ? effect_active 1 on : nothing : set '$fx1' off & var 'fxon' ? effect_active 1 off : nothing

and I understand fx_on, is button armed ? yes fx on : no leave fx in state it was
I just can't see how it would make a difference with HW connected.

*edit* arm button has me asking a question, are they defined to deck all?, it's the only way I can see it working with the local var.

Posted Fri 28 Jan 22 @ 2:42 am
I haven't done Rane One.
But I have done Rane Seventy Two mixer which is similar.
So, I will give you info related to the Seventy Two assuming that more or less One behaves in a similar fashion.
In Seventy Two, the "ARM" buttons are hardware controlled. And so are their leds as well.
When you press an "ARM" button nothing really happens.
All the "magic" stuff happens when you "press" the FX PADDLE (which is also a toggle)
So, when the FX PADDLE gets activated the device sends out the MIDI notes for the "ARM" buttons that are active on the device, followed by the MIDI message of the paddle itself.
In simple terms, the "ARM" buttons could be treated as "FX ON" buttons since they update their MIDI status only while the PADDLE is active.
The "ARM" buttons could be easily remapped to just "effect_active X" if it wasn't for the "FX unit 1", "FX Unit2" difference between how VirtualDJ and Serato deal with effects.
In fact, on Seventy Two the "ARM" buttons are defined as "FX ACTIVATE" buttons and the FX PADDLE while it's defined, its not used at all on the mapper.

Without getting deeper to this, it's impossible to know which FX slots are "ARMED" to be triggered by the paddles since the unit does not provide this information "on time"
If that's what you're after, then it's a device limitation that you can't bypass.
The device does not send any messages when paddles are off. So you can "arm" or "disarm" any effect slots as many times as you like, and that info will never reach VirtualDJ. It will get sent when the paddles get used.

Posted Fri 28 Jan 22 @ 3:28 pm
Thanks, that explains what I'm seeing perfectly. What a janky work around by rane to cater to serato not being able to hold a variable [or maybe designed to be janky for us]

Posted Fri 28 Jan 22 @ 3:55 pm