Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Best DJ/midi controller to control 4 decks in Virtual DJ on a smaller budget?
7jevelsPRO InfinityMember since 2021
I’ve become really excited about VDJ as a means to make and edit music; I really like it’s beat-matching capabilities and multi-deck interfaces to make weird collages, for lack of a better word. I never use it with any less than 4 decks and really want to get a DJ controller to accommodate 4 decks, or 2 physical/2 virtual decks.

I recently purchased a Pioneer DDJ-SB3 which I love, but of which can’t switch between 4 decks in Virtual DJ even though it’s promoted as having that feature apparently due to some firmware limitation on Pioneer’s part (I contacted Pioneer about a firmware update and got no response).

So I’m considering returning the ddj-sb3 unless I can custom map it in some intricate ways which according to some VDJ experts wouldn’t be possible…. In the meantime I’m looking at alternatives but am worried about running into similar issues. Any verified 4-deck controllers that work seamlessly with VDJ, preferably at $350 or below?

Here’s my list so far;

Gemini G4V
Pioneer DDJ-T1
(used) Traktor Kontrol s4 controller (can be 10+ old so worried about compatibility, plus do Traktor controllers work with VDJ?)
Numark n4 (10 years old, worried about compabilitiy)
Pioneer DDJ-400 (or some other 2-deck controller) and custom-mapping it to switch between decks if it doesn’t have firmware limitation

No jog wheels/more midi controller-like;

Novation Twitch (10+ years old, worried about driver updates)
Novation Launchcontrol XL
Behringer DDM4000 5-channel Digital DJ Mixer
Akai APC40 MKII Workstation
Traktor kontrol f1

The controllers I'm most interested in so far are the Novation Twitch followed by the Traktor Kontrol s4 controller, Gemini G4V and the Akai APC40 MKII Workstation but I feel super unprepared to face any compatibility issues after my SB3 experience. Does anyone have any insight/experience?

Posted Tue 07 Dec 21 @ 3:40 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
You can swap decks with the DDJ-SB3 - using the DECK buttons on the controller - as long as you use the SB3 built in sound card in VDJ Audio Setup.

Posted Tue 07 Dec 21 @ 4:13 pm
Right-- I forgot to mention, I record each individual deck from VDJ into Ableton live using my MOTU mk4's soundcard, and then edit the tracks in Ableton (both live and post). So I can't use the SB3's soundcard, unfortunately.

Posted Tue 07 Dec 21 @ 4:14 pm
I would suggest to try find a workaround with your SB3, because there arent many true 4-channel controllers in that price range.

Actually, all you need is 2 buttons to swap Left/right Decks, and if the DECK buttons on the SB3 are locked from firmware to swap Deck/Layers , you could map 2 other buttons as ..
deck 1 leftdeck ? deck 3 leftdeck : deck 1 leftdeck

and
deck 2 rightdeck ? deck 4 rightdeck : deck 2 rightdeck

or if this is a button on the DDJ-SB3 which is present on both sides..
device_side 'left' ? deck 1 leftdeck ? deck 3 leftdeck : deck 1 leftdeck : deck 2 rightdeck ? deck 4 rightdeck : deck 2 rightdeck

Posted Tue 07 Dec 21 @ 4:25 pm
Well, the above wont work, because the SB3 has hardware layers, so even if you switch Left/Right Decks in VirtualDJ, the SB33 will still offer controls for the assigned DECK layer.

In this case, you could "cheat" and add a "Master" output (routed to SB3) in Audio setup along with Deck 1, Deck 2, etc

Posted Tue 07 Dec 21 @ 4:53 pm
Thank you! You’re right, it unfortunately didn’t work, except for (oddly) all of the buttons I custom-mapped. With the change of left/right deck those have been switching to the deck they’re controlling almost seamlessly.

The buttons that are custom mapped/do switch are-

FX1_LEVEL - effect_slider 1 1
MASTER_LEVEL - effect_slider 2 1
HEADPHONE LEVEL - effect_slider 3 1
And all of the “FX On” buttons.

Sometimes they do need the virtual “select” button to be changed to the target deck to work along with the virtual left deck button.

Thanks for the cheat tip - I’ll add an additional output to the SB3 right now and report back.

Posted Tue 07 Dec 21 @ 5:06 pm
It worked!!! The controller is now working perfectly. Could not be happier, mixing with it feels so seamless. Thank you!!

Posted Tue 07 Dec 21 @ 5:14 pm
If the additional Master output creates any trouble (cant think of any atm), you could change that with "booth" or "sampler" oe even with a later -unused Deck. As long as it's "occupied" it should work.
PS. I just tried "Deck 5" (i manually typed that in outputs because i was using a 4 decks skin) and worked fine

Posted Tue 07 Dec 21 @ 5:26 pm