Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: BUG: When Soundswitch is running Virtual DJ cannot connect/reconnect to the Pioneer DDJ-RZX MIDI (displays)
Hello,

I'm using the latest versions of Soundswitch (v2.4) and Virtual DJ (b6677).

f I start Soundswiitch first (v2.4) and then start Virtual DJ (b6677), then none of the 3 displays on my Pioneer DDJ-RZX will work. They remain in the disconnected/uninitialized "Rekordbox - Midi Control" mode.

However, if I make sure to start Virtual DJ first, and then start Soundswitch all is fine and the displays connect. It seems something with Soundswitch is preventing Virtual DJ to create the initial connection.

Now you may think "this is not an issue just make sure to start Virtual DJ first". In a perfect world without electrical interference and glitches - yes, you're right. Unfortunately our world is not such. Virtual DJ normally behaves fantastic when it happens, for example if you simulate an USB glitch by briefly pulling the USB connector to the DJ controller. Virtual DJ completely restores all functionality on my DDJ-RZX and the show goes on.

Sadly the bug with Soundswitch prevents the normally good Virtual DJ behavior. When an USB glitch happens, Virtual DJ cannot reconnect to the displays (MIDI) because Soundswitch is running and interferes with the beautiful controller reinitialization Virtual DJ normally does.

This problem can easily be repeated with the two pieces of software and a Pioneer DDJ-RZX. The Soundswitch USB interface not needed to see the problem.

Quickly see the problem: Start Soundswitch first. Then start Virtual DJ. The 3 displays on DDJ-RZX remain disabled forever.

See the full scope of the problem: Start Virtual DJ first. The 3 displays initialize and all is good. Start Soundswitch. All still good. Start playback. All good. Now briefly pull the USB connection to the DDJ-RZX, then plug it back in. Playback is disrupted, but continues. However the 3 displays are now defunct. Now stop Soundswitch. Pull the DDJ-RZX USB plug again, and plug it back in. Again, as expected, playback is disrupted, but continues HOWEVER now the displays come alive again since Soundswitch was not running this time.

A fix for this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Peter

Posted Fri 22 Oct 21 @ 12:53 pm
I realized that one way to work around this problem is to run SoundSwitch on another computer, which actually works great once all is set up. This solves the problem for me :)

Posted Sat 23 Oct 21 @ 2:28 pm
SoundSwitch support knew what was going on and provided a solition that solves the problem:

With the controller connected to your laptop launch SoundSwitch navigate to the Midi page and open the Midi Devices pane. Now right-click on your controller in the Midi Devices menu and select the "Ignore" option. Restart both SoundSwitch and VDJ and this should resolve the issue:

I actually had not noticed the MIDI devices pane in SoundSwitch - it's closed by default and the small arrow on the left side never got me enough attention to try to click on it. I noticed that if I start Virtual DJ first and then SoundSwitch, the DDJ-RZX does not show up on the list because it's taken by Virtual DJ. Starting SoundSwitch first, it shows up and cal be disabled by right clicking on it. Once diasbled, SoundSwitch won't take posession of it and the problem is solved!

Posted Sun 24 Oct 21 @ 12:50 pm
Dj Straftanz wrote :
SoundSwitch support knew what was going on and provided a solution to the problem:

With the controller connected to your laptop launch SoundSwitch navigate to the Midi page and open the Midi Devices pane. Now right-click on your controller in the Midi Devices menu and select the "Ignore" option. Restart both SoundSwitch and VDJ and this should resolve the issue:

I actually had not noticed the MIDI devices pane in SoundSwitch - it's closed by default and the small arrow on the left side never got me enough attention to try to click on it. I noticed that if I start Virtual DJ first and then SoundSwitch, the DDJ-RZX does not show up on the list because it's taken by Virtual DJ. Starting SoundSwitch first, it shows up and cal be disabled by right clicking on it. Once diasbled, SoundSwitch won't take posession of it and the problem is solved!

Posted Mon 25 Oct 21 @ 1:56 am
Thanks for this info. I couldn't connect my new Soundswitch Control One at the same time as my DJtoGo2 controller. This fixed the problem. Both working together perfectly now.

James

Posted Fri 10 Dec 21 @ 8:35 am
Thankyou so much for help here. Saved my gig. Thanks

Posted Wed 17 Aug 22 @ 5:21 pm
Hey @DJ Straftanz
Thank you for this - I've had the same issue & workaround as you - also did not notice that midi panel.
I'm updating my laptops now :-)
Have a good weekend

Posted Fri 26 Aug 22 @ 12:47 pm