Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Announcements using ID3 tags, is this possible?
Hi, everyone.

I'm a ballroom dance instructor, and for the past 10+ years I've been using MediaMonkey when I DJ our dance parties. I use a plug-in with MM that can announce the song's Title, Artist, Album, etc. by reading the corresponding ID3 tag. This saves me from having to get on the mic and tell everyone what's coming up next since I'm usually dancing.

I want to switch to something like VirtualDJ, but I will need this functionality. Is there a feature, or a plug-in, that can announce an ID3 tag prior to the song playing?

Posted Thu 14 Oct 21 @ 8:47 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
when you say it's announced? do you mean audibly? a text on video output?

Posted Thu 14 Oct 21 @ 8:50 pm
Audibly announced. For example, when I currently DJ a dance using MediaMonkey, the script will read the Genre tag of the file, announce it through the speakers, pause for 3 seconds and then play the file.
The Genre can be any type of dance, such as Waltz, Tango, Swing, etc.

Posted Sat 16 Oct 21 @ 6:14 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014

Posted Sat 16 Oct 21 @ 6:28 am
It would need to be automatic, though, and it would need to pull the data from the ID3 tag. When I looked into VSTs I didn't see a way for them to pull the text to speak from any data in the ID3 tag, unless I'm not looking in the right places.

I'd need this functionality:
1. I queue a song
2. When it's time for the song to play the Genre field of the ID3 tag is spoken aloud
3. There's a short pause
4. The song plays.
5. The next song goes through the same process.

The MediaMonkey plugin I currently use uses the Windows text-to-speech engine and voices.

Posted Sun 17 Oct 21 @ 7:47 am

Posted Sun 17 Oct 21 @ 8:25 am
Easier would be to record a sample announcing each dance type and tag the track, after that there's nothing new required.

Song loads, rsi pauses track, checks tag, plays sample for dance type associated with tag, plays song.

Posted Sun 17 Oct 21 @ 9:13 am
That's why I initially proposed to create a scratchbank
a sample associated with tag is a simple solution

Posted Sun 17 Oct 21 @ 9:20 am
I like these ideas. I've recorded the samples I want to use for the announcements and I've found how to add them to either the scratchbank or samples.

I've been reading up on VDJscript, but I see a problem. In the "Verbs" section of VDJPedia, it says all the "get" verbs associated with reading the tags (get_album, get_genre, etc.) have been deprecated. So how can I get the tag info to perform actions based on those tags?

Posted Tue 19 Oct 21 @ 2:01 am
something like this

param_equal `get_loaded_song "FIELD"` "YOUR_STRING" ? TRUE : FALSE

field being user 1, genre or comment or whatever you designated

Posted Tue 19 Oct 21 @ 3:06 am