Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Controlling pitch fader question…

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

dJdAbPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Okay, here’s an oddball question… when selecting line-in how can you still control the software pitch? The software reacts in such a way that the pitch doesn’t move via message but instead only shows ghost movements on screen. There must be a bypass code engaged automatically. This concerns Rane One usage w/ tonearm mod and wax ;o)

Btw, selecting line-in disengages other controls as well. I’d like to work around that.

Thanks in advance, Sean / Dab

Posted Sun 26 Sep 21 @ 8:32 pm
Well, you can't increase the tempo of a line input unless you find a way to travel to the future... :P

Joke aside, a line input is a "live" input.
This input is not cached, and it's played straight ahead (in order to have the minimum latency possible)
This means that you have limited operations functionality over the signal. More or less, the same operation set you can find on any stand alone MIXER. (not player)
That's why PITCH (and other functions) are disabled when you use an input line on a player.
The "ghost" slider appears because your controller still sends MIDI data and VirtualDJ needs that information so that it knows the position of your physical pitch slider when you decide to return from line input back to normal (file playback) operation.

You mention Rane One controller.
I don't know what you're trying to achieve, but perhaps what you're trying to do is out of the capabilities of the controller ?
In any case, please provide a better explanation of what you're trying to do and we can then see if there's a solution or not based on the device capabilities.

Posted Sun 26 Sep 21 @ 8:44 pm
I think you misunderstand or I didn’t word it correctly. Basically, I’ve successfully added tonearms w/ needles to my Rane One. Now I want to play 45s. But once you select line-in, software no longer sends platter speed data. It just defaults to last pitch used. The Rane one needs to receive that data from VDJ to let the platter know to speed up or slow down when you adjust pitch slider. The screen messages confirm it’s getting pitch slider position, it just needs to pass back to Rane One.

Posted Sun 26 Sep 21 @ 8:58 pm
dJdAb wrote :
The Rane one needs to receive that data from VDJ to let the platter know to speed up or slow down when you adjust pitch slider

I think you've got things reversed. If you're playing actual vinyl (audio) records on the Rane One platters then the pitch sliders on the Rane One control the speed. That data would ordinarily be sent to VDJ so VDJ knows how fast or slow to play the digital file - but it's not required if you're playing vinyl through the line inputs.

Posted Sun 26 Sep 21 @ 9:24 pm
As I said, once you turn the LINE input switch on, the software does not use "pitch" values for that deck anymore since they don't make sense. So, it can't send any "speed" updates on the motor.

To explain it better, the motor does not get it's speed from the "pitch slider"
It takes it's speed from the pitch that the deck is running at. In other words, if pitch slider is at -4% position but you press sync on a deck and the software runs the deck at +3% pitch, the motors will run with +3% speed.
A software deck that's switched as "LINE" input does not have any running pitch. Therefore while in "LINE" mode, VirtualDJ doesn't send any data for the platter speed (they are invalid)

I can possibly give you a way to bypass all these, but it won't be an easy nor a robust fix.

You will need to remap both the pitch slider key, and the motor speed key
For the pitch you will have to do something like this:
not linein ? pitch : set 'MyPitch'

The hard part will be the MOTOR_SPEED_NORMAL key
not linein ? get_ns7_platter speed 1000 : get_var 'MyPitch' & ......

As you can see I have left some dots on the code above.
The dots are the difficult part. You have to do the necessary maths to transform the var "MyPitch" that takes values from 0.0 to 1.0 to something that the platters understand.
For starters you can try to multiply the value by 100 or 1000. So the dots will become
param_multiply 100

Then you need to check if the platter has the "normal" speed when the pitch slider sits in it's center.
Depending on your findings you may need to change the multiply number.
Finally keep in mind that once you find out how to set it, your "custom/hacked" pitch slider won't have the same "pitch range" as the software.
Actually it will control the speed of the platter from it's lowest possible value (something like 1 RPM) to it's maximum value.
So, if you want to be able to practically use it you'll have to mess more with your maths.

Posted Sun 26 Sep 21 @ 9:25 pm
@Groovin:
The Rane Twelves MKII would work as you suggest. But not Rane One or Twelve MKI.
The reason is that they are designed as controllers. The rotation speed of the platter is controlled by the software, not by the device firmware.
Twelve MKII is an exception, and that's ONLY in DVS mode. In USB mode the software is still responsible to control the rotation speed of the platter.

The reason is simple (see my example above)
The software deck might be running at different speed from the one that pitch slider sits on (like when you press the sync button).

Also, all these units were never meant to play "real" vinyls. Their rotation speed is similar to a traditional turntable, but that's all. So basically we are hacking these devices beyond the scope they were designed.

PS: At least on Twelves (both models) that are separate devices with "deck select" buttons, if you don't select any deck the firmware controls the platter speed via the pitch slider (demo mode).
But as soon as you select a deck, then it's all up to the software.
So, in theory it's easier to "hack" the Twelves to play real vinyl. Just don't assign them at any software deck.. :P

Posted Sun 26 Sep 21 @ 9:31 pm
I have done a redundant work around, using line 3/4 ins but now I’ll have to replicate all controls needed for decks 3/4. Was just hoping for an easier method. I’ll read the rest of the comments and thanks for any assistance.

Posted Sun 26 Sep 21 @ 9:35 pm
Btw, I was actually surprised to find that selection of 33 via 45rpm via interface options tab is super accurate and almost spot on. I was able to map that (parameter -/+ buttons). One problem, global not deck specific, from what I gather… I’ll tinker more for sure.

Posted Sun 26 Sep 21 @ 9:39 pm

Posted Sun 26 Sep 21 @ 9:52 pm

Posted Sun 26 Sep 21 @ 9:55 pm
The thought had occurred to me to simply replicate pitch send / receive on decks 1/2 to 3/4 so when decks 1/2 are in line-in mode, 3/4 internal decks sends all related pitch and platter data. Maybe unload deck 1/2 to clear song from deck, etc. Some muting could be implemented too.

Posted Mon 27 Sep 21 @ 1:40 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)