Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Roland dj-808 is heavily marketed towards Serato. Any experiences with VDJ?
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
Hello, I do not use a controller today, but I am considering buying one. The Roland dj-808 looks very promising because it has these built-in drum computers. However, it is always sold with Serato, even the Serato logo is printed on the controller. Now, I know it should run with VDJ, it is on the list of compatible controllers, but I would like to know if there is a "catch", a drawback, maybe not all functions are working with VDJ? Any experiences?

Posted Sat 04 Sep 21 @ 8:43 am
Yes, most of the none Pioneer controllers are marketed that way - with a Serato stamp on them
That doesn't mean they work better with Serato though
If there is an official VDJ support for them, they should indeed work just as well with VDJ - and of course with many more features in VDJ, since Serato is generally a pretty limited software when it comes to feature set

Posted Sat 04 Sep 21 @ 12:10 pm
I'm looking at the DJ-808 too. It looks like everything works 100%. You can even use the hardware sequencer to fire Virtual DJ samples. Here's the manual page if you want to check the feature set ( https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/roland/dj808.html ).

I might end up getting the 707m though because it has multiple mic pre-amps which I often need.

And regarding the Serato branding, I find that is more and more just marketing by Serato, their software doesn't have nearly the feature set or customizability of VDJ. That's nothing that a little Goo-B-Gone won't fix as soon as I get my unit.

Posted Sat 04 Sep 21 @ 4:13 pm
I seem to remember it wasn't very popular on here around launch time. Not sure if people were put off by the price or the colour!

Posted Sat 04 Sep 21 @ 4:15 pm
Thanks for your comments! As I am basically a musician/producer who has recently switched to some occasional DJing, I thought the Roland DJ 808 would be very nice because of the built-in drumcomputer. On the other hand, the DJ 080 is already quite old (2017) and afak did not drop in price... Are there other controllers that offer some synth/drumcomputer sounds?

Posted Sun 05 Sep 21 @ 9:28 am
Consider that VDJ offers Ableton Link, so can be synced to over 200 different software & hardware devices. I recently bought a Maschine+ because it also has Link, but there are also free apps for phones etc.

Posted Sun 05 Sep 21 @ 12:07 pm
user19321440 wrote :
I thought the Roland DJ 808 would be very nice because of the built-in drumcomputer. Are there other controllers that offer some synth/drumcomputer sounds?

Yes, the Roland 707m DJ Controller has synth/drumcomputer built in.

https://www.roland.com/uk/products/dj-707m/

Posted Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 4:55 am
djles.co.uk wrote :

Yes, the Roland 707m DJ Controller has synth/drumcomputer built in.

Unfortunately it doesn't have a sequencer so you're stuck with the preprogrammed patterns. And it has no way to fire VDJ samples AFAIK.

Posted Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 1:18 pm
I am strugglingto understandthe manual when it comes to fireing off samples. Can you help me get started?
Elegant Affairs wrote :
I'm looking at the DJ-808 too. It looks like everything works 100%. You can even use the hardware sequencer to fire Virtual DJ samples. Here's the manual page if you want to check the feature set ( https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/roland/dj808.html ).

I might end up getting the 707m though because it has multiple mic pre-amps which I often need.

And regarding the Serato branding, I find that is more and more just marketing by Serato, their software doesn't have nearly the feature set or customizability of VDJ. That's nothing that a little Goo-B-Gone won't fix as soon as I get my unit.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 12:34 am
I have been all over this controller and had the manual open to page 15 where it talks about the sampler and in the VDJ version as well to try to figure out how to load a sample into a bank. There are no VDJ videos on it. The panel button only moves the mixer screens.
Lets keep it simple, which button on the dj-808 do i need to press or SHIFT+? or what is the hot key for opening up the sampler bank? I should have 8 slots to load.
Mont

Posted Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 3:30 am
Typically you do not / can not load samples to pads from a controller, so there won't be a button for that.

How to use the VDJ sampler is covered in the VDJ manual.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 5:01 pm
Loading a sample is something you do in VDJ, not in the controller. Firing the sample is something you can do from the controller, very straightforward on the Roland Dj 808.

Posted Fri 28 Apr 23 @ 5:37 am
Sepatro wrote :
Loading a sample is something you do in VDJ, not in the controller. Firing the sample is something you can do from the controller, very straightforward on the Roland Dj 808.

I think that the problem is that some people mistake the step sequencer on the 808 with a regular sampler, which it is not. That is just a hardware based thing, that roland has slapped on the unit, because they already had it laying around :)

Posted Fri 28 Apr 23 @ 6:33 am