Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Waveform in previewplayer removed? (experimentalSkinEngine)
Suddenly, probably after an update not long ago (not know exactly which one anymore), I noticed that I don’t see the waveform of the tracks in the preview-player anymore when scrolling through the browser. If I remember correctly it was only visible when in options experimentalSkinEngine was set to “yes” and after the track was loaded once in a player. I found it very useful. Is it broken or removed? Or am I wrong and is it featured in another setting perhaps?

Posted Fri 09 Jul 21 @ 12:08 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Still working here

Posted Fri 09 Jul 21 @ 12:13 pm
Hi Adion, thanks for checking., now I can exclude that a VDJ update is the cause.

So I started experimenting with it again. First I thought I had found what was going on: I am using a modified dual head skin with a preview player on the main screen and an external browser on the second screen which contains already a (hidden) preview player in the infotab. So perhaps those two don’t like to work together? But they did in the past...

Test: I load a track in a player, unload it, restart VDJ and the track shows the waveform in the preview player. All good. Next track same procedure, but now not a waveform… Third track, same procedure, not a waveform in preview… Checking first track again and that waveform is still there… weird… I think to myself: perhaps the problem is that second previewplayer on the mainscreen which is always visible and the hidden one in the browser on the second screen, so I changed the skin back the pro version of the default set: same thing happening, that first track shows the waveform, the others don’t. I am not entirely sure, but I think I can exclude now the “double” preview player because I now use the default skin. Second test, now on another computer with a single screen and a default skin and same happened: some tracks show the waveform others don’t… Am I alone in this? why me? And why did it work some weeks ago. I can not figure out yet why some waves seem to work and others don’t because I have not made any changes to the skin or the computers itself, besides the regular windows and nvidea updates. Anyway, it’s not of vital importance for me but I was wondering if VDJ changed something, but it wasn’t the case.

Adion, thank you for checking and if I find out what is going on at my end I’ll update this thread.

Posted Fri 09 Jul 21 @ 1:48 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Are you sure you have experimentalSkinEngine to “yes” and not to "auto" ?

Posted Fri 09 Jul 21 @ 1:59 pm
Yes, I have set it to "yes" indeed (tried to tick the other setting on and off too).

I need to stop testing for now, as I need to use the gear this weekend again. A couple of weeks ago all worked flawless but I noticed the absence of the waveform a few weeks ago but didn't took much notice of it at the time. Now I had some spare time and thought of looking into it ;-) Anyway, I can live without it, but if would be a useful asset to have it back again. Keep you informed here, have a good weekend ;-)

Posted Fri 09 Jul 21 @ 2:18 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
In fact I see many tracks with or with partial or without waves in info pan :

It sometimes takes a long time to see the waves when they were not already created :
folder files scan must be ended before the waves can show (or file loaded once and stems at least started to compute) - may depend on CPU threads
As long as stems are not fully computed, only waveform can appear after a "manual refresh" (preview another track then previev track again)
once stems were computed once, the full waveform is showing fully (the stem beat line appears)

process was faster in some previous builds (but recent builds are being slow again (as in V8.3) with many things inluding skin engine)

Posted Fri 09 Jul 21 @ 5:33 pm
Nicotux, in a way I am glad that I am not the only one that lacks the waveforms in the previewplayer ;-)
I am aware that the folder files must be scanned before the waves can be shown indeed and with computing stems it will take a bit more time. In my case the computing time should not be a big issue because VDJ runs on a beefy and dedicated 8core pc with the stems computed by the Nvidea GPU. Checking processor loads shows a cool running computer all the time. At the moment of writing I don't have continued testing by removing the external browser and the permanent showing previewplayer on my custom skin. I am not expecting it gives the solution, because i have the same issue with the default skins and on a second test-pc. Anyway, I am happy that some people are looking into it... Thanks guys

Posted Fri 09 Jul 21 @ 11:34 pm
Short update:

Today I was adding the samplerwindow and replaced the Pioneer browser with the VDJ browser (with the previewplayer) to the center touch-screen of my Pioneer DDJ-RZX and found out that all the waves in the previewplayer on the RZX-screen were correctly displayed, while it still doesn't in my skin (my modified and the default pro- & performance skin). But I am pretty sure the skin is where I need to search. If I have news I'll post it in this thread...

Cheers, Harry

Posted Wed 14 Jul 21 @ 10:12 pm
Fixed in build 6568 (2021-08-02)

"-When experimentalBeatAnalyzer is enabled, scanning a file also stores the color waveform overview cache".

I have the waveforms back in the previewplayer!

Thanks guys ;-)

Posted Mon 02 Aug 21 @ 12:48 pm
SuperHarry Kingmaker wrote :
Fixed in build 6568 (2021-08-02)

"-When experimentalBeatAnalyzer is enabled, scanning a file also stores the color waveform overview cache".

I have the waveforms back in the previewplayer!

Sorry guys, I was too quick to cheer. Unfortunately, the visibility of the waveforms in the preview player (in the skin) are still not visible on my end. I did NOT have my Pioneer DDJ-RZX controller powered on. When I started VDJ for the second time, now with the RZX powered on, the problem was still there. No problem with my other controllers online without a screen... One step further in the diagnosis: could it be a conflict with the dedicated skin for the RZX? or the RZX itself perhaps...

Is there anyone with another RZX that can check if the waveforms are visible on the skin when experimentalBeatAnalyzer is enabled in settings?

Thanks, Harry

Posted Mon 02 Aug 21 @ 1:50 pm