Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Video Mixing Issue
Using the beat counter to change shaders as described in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y_XRu93qbw&ab_channel=KlausMogensen

Video output freezes after a short while when using any other the commands (16,8,4, etc). Happened twice at an event Friday and I was able to replicate it at home last night.

Regular videos seem to play fine with no issues.

System info: Windows 10 with B6444; i7 9750H; GeForce RTX 2080; 64GB RAM

Any ideas?

Posted Sun 30 May 21 @ 10:23 pm
Maybe check at home if you have some very heavy shaders ...
and auto select next shader being extremely fast is probably not the best idea

Posted Sun 30 May 21 @ 10:28 pm
Interesting variable on that is when using the timed method, it flies through all shaders down to 250ms.

I will leave it on on the timed method for an extended period of time as a stress test shortly.

Best way to check for heavy use shaders?

Posted Sun 30 May 21 @ 10:31 pm
Would be a good test yes..
Some shaders can be very heavy, some even not render at all ..

So perhaps remove those that are not ideal or working great ;-)

Posted Sun 30 May 21 @ 10:41 pm
I'll run that test.

The majority of the shaders came from packs folks have posted over the years. I went through and culled the dead and bad looking ones last summer. Would there be anything in an update that would prohibit them from working?

As far as heavy use ones go, best metric to assess that? The GPU is a beast so very few things make it sweat.

Posted Sun 30 May 21 @ 10:45 pm
Yeah thought so.. downloading packages from others is a fast way to get lots of shaders.
But should try them once at home first, if planning to use at gig, just in case some are bad, or even compiled at different architecture (VDJ will lask to download it again if so).

Posted Sun 30 May 21 @ 10:48 pm
Ran that stress test today. Handled a 250ms change with strobe and colorize.

Then randomly froze up on a 4 beat change with no effects. Seems to be a random trigger.

Any way to debug it or am I just better off scrapping this as a part of my performance?

Posted Mon 31 May 21 @ 8:25 pm
Maybe take note of what Shader.

And keep in mind, when you did your test, perhaps you were doing nothing else.
If mixing videos, loading songs, generating stems etc in real practical use, there is much more strain on your computer than a self running test ONLY doing shaders ;-)

Posted Mon 31 May 21 @ 9:38 pm
What you can do, since you seem to have a Nvidia card, is in settings set useLowPowerGPU to "high power" so that the video (and shader) engine use the Nvidia card instead of the onboard intel gpu chip.

That might help/sort it if mixing videos and doing lots of such things at same time as shader.

Posted Mon 31 May 21 @ 9:40 pm
No way to really take note of what shader, as it freezes and I have to reboot. Most of the shader names as you know aren't very descriptive. I could change the names, but I really don't feel like committing that much time to something that isn't an absolute necessity.

I can say this. All the freezes have occurred with different shaders. So it doesn't appear to be one singular culprit.

You are correct. It's freezing under a low load. Which in my eyes is more concerning. Seems like there is a trigger for this; it just can't be found. Is CrashGuard reporting still a thing?

Currently running 1 beat change with boom auto on higher tempo tracks. Been going to about an hour now with no issues. Will add more variables to see if I can find a trigger.

And high power GPU has been enabled for all of this, so no change there.

Posted Mon 31 May 21 @ 9:46 pm
Its odd if its the video engine.
Does same thing happen if you dont use the script / way of the original posted video?

And if you just want to rotate shaders at custom intervals it can be done much much easier...
Simply try a custom skin button (or keyboard key) with the action :

repeat_start 'changeShaderz'  ? on & repeat_stop 'changeShaderz' : repeat_start 'changeShaderz' 8bt &  effect_string "audioonlyvisualisation" 1 +1

The above, if the shaders are run as audio-only visualisation fallback for audio files (source).
If using shaders are regular video FX try this instead:

repeat_start 'changeShaderz'  ? on & repeat_stop 'changeShaderz' : repeat_start 'changeShaderz' 8bt &  deck master effect_string 'shader' 1 +1

And you can change the 8bt (aka 8 beats) value to own likings.
NB! The 8bt part needs modern updated VirtualDJ to be an allowed parameter

Try that, and see if freezes are gone. If so its the method used from your original youtube video that is the culprit ..

Posted Mon 31 May 21 @ 10:16 pm