Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Problem when two video files of different aspect ratios are loaded in a .vdjedit file : video is distorted i.e. plays with wrong ratio

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,

There is a problem with the aspect ratio of video files when two are loaded in .vdjedit file (a ‘video edit file’) and they don’t have the same aspect ratio. For instance, if a 16:9 file is loaded first followed by a 4:3 file, the ratio of the first one (the 16:9) is played as a 4:3 and is distorted.

Here is an example of .vdjedit file that would create this issue:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<edit source="MyAudioFile.wav" sourcesize="100000000">
<video>
<video pos="0.0" length="500" source="MyVideoNb1-16:9-AspectRatio.mp4" sourcesize="100000000" sourcepos="0.0" />
<video pos="50.0" length="500" source="MyVideoNb2-4:3-AspectRatio.mp4" sourcesize="100000000" sourcepos="0.0" />
</video>
</edit>

The 2nd video file (MyVideoNb2-4:3-AspectRatio.mp4) is a 4:3 file and it is normal that it plays with black bars on the side (my letterboxing is set as Bars and it has nothing to do with this issue) :

The 1st video file (MyVideoNb1-16:9-AspectRatio.mp4) is a 16:9 file and would normally play like so in 16:9 format :

But when used in the .vdjedit file shown above in the example, it is distorted and played as 4:3 like so:

This is definitively a bug (or a limitation). Is this known? I searched the forum and found nothing. Is there a workaround?

Note that if I edit the .vdjedit file, remove the 2nd video, reload the file in vdj, all is ok for the aspect ratio of the video nb 1. I put back the 2nd for video 2, the problem reappears.
Also note that the same problem exists in the other direction i.e if you load a 16:9 file after a 4:3 in .vdjedit, the ratio of the first file (4:3) will be distorted (to 16:9 in this case).
Yes I have the lastest VDJ (8.5-64 b6263).

Thanks so much in advance for your help

Posted Thu 28 Jan 21 @ 5:38 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)