Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: m4a, some specific tags, and VDJ
I initially ran into this issue with some mysteriously disappearing tagging on some m4a lossless personal rips I had made. I was writing to the remixer tag a value for energy and it kept on disappearing. I also noticed over the years some color info I had changed was not being reflected. So I've taken a deep dive into it today.

It seems VDJ has an issue on my end writing to all m4a files. I'm currently running Big Sur and saving externally to an AFPS formatted drive. I think this goes back much further since I noticed the color-coding issue over a year ago.

For the label, remix, year, label, and remixer tags they simply do not save to the file. It also seems that if there is a color baked into the file that it won't override a future change to it.

I've experimented by using the m4a's that I've personally ripped and used Jaikoz to tidy up, downloaded m4a's that I have not manipulated, and then added FLAC and mp3s as a control test. This is repeated consistently.

This only seems to be for m4a's of any bitrate. FLAC and mp3s appear to be fine. I've attached a video of my findings. https://youtu.be/GfVvtKmbrpM

Posted Sat 02 Jan 21 @ 4:28 pm
After more examination some additional info:

VDJ does not read the incoming Remix (Subtitle), Remixer, and Label tags from a m4a file.

And I was wrong, FLAC files are affected to a degree. Writing VDJ > File it does not write the Remix (Subtitle), and Label fields. It does read them from the file.

Posted Sat 02 Jan 21 @ 7:57 pm
Some more troubleshooting. I tried different formatted drives on OS-X (AFPS and FAT32) to take that variable out. I also noticed the are some read and write issues. So I put it in a grid format.

Posted Mon 04 Jan 21 @ 7:54 pm
Can anyone ping me just to let me know this is on the list of fixes for the future? I've paused a significant retagging project to make sure I am not doing things in vain.

Posted Mon 11 Jan 21 @ 4:32 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Not all combinations of read and write are currently supported indeed.
We are working on a full list of which tags are supported by which file formats.

Posted Mon 11 Jan 21 @ 5:51 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Note: with video formats (mostly mp4) some fields are "Write Once" only, they create but don't update/modify

Posted Mon 11 Jan 21 @ 6:47 pm
Adion wrote :
Not all combinations of read and write are currently supported indeed.
We are working on a full list of which tags are supported by which file formats.

So just for clarification, there is no fix in the pipeline. It will just be a list of supported tags per format?

Posted Mon 11 Jan 21 @ 6:53 pm
ParisCreative wrote :

So just for clarification, there is no fix in the pipeline. It will just be a list of supported tags per format?

Such a list is being produced yes ;-)

Posted Mon 11 Jan 21 @ 7:30 pm
Hello,
i am having the same problem. I found the Remix tag disappearing in the MP4 file. Need to fix this

Posted Thu 11 Feb 21 @ 4:48 pm
It's been a year since... So Happy New Year =)
Any update on this list from official source?

Posted Wed 19 Jan 22 @ 10:23 am
Any news on this?

(BUMP)

Posted Tue 20 Jun 23 @ 4:36 am
I need to retest on my end to confirm but I don’t think they have made any update to file support.

Posted Tue 20 Jun 23 @ 4:45 am
They didn't yet, I tested it myself. I just wanted to know if it still in the plans to bring the support needed on that matter because it's easier to tag outside VDJ sometimes but it's frustrating that some fields won't be read once imported.

By the way, in FLAC the remix field is mapped to VERSION instead of subtitle and can be R/W in VDJ.

Posted Tue 20 Jun 23 @ 5:42 am
I'm also asking to have ability to write to label and remix fields on .m4a files

Posted Sat 23 Dec 23 @ 7:09 am