Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Harmonic values of flats/sharps inconsistent - Eb, the other four are sharps

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

When in harmonic display mode, the chromatic scale shown as C, C#, D, Eb, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B. Is that expected? It seems unusual for four non-naturals to be displayed as sharp, and one displayed as flat. This is universal in my instance, and cannot be overridden by tagging.

Posted Wed 18 Nov 20 @ 1:58 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
(Related to D#Major horrible transcription)
It's musical usage for simplicity to read musical sheets. E♭ is the enharmonic equivalent to D#.
It makes much more sense to call it E♭ which only has three flats (♭) instead of D# which has 9 sharps (#) including 2 double sharps (𝄪).
So that as songs are commonly written using E♭ notation and not D#, better is to call it E♭ in a way to keep in sync with common use.

May be strange to non musician.

funny : even wikipedia's page for D-sharp major links to E-flat major
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-sharp

Posted Wed 18 Nov 20 @ 3:42 am
Yvan JPRO InfinityMember since 2014
The way I think major scales and keys is: C, C# or Db, D, Eb, E, F, F#, G, Ab, A, Bb, B
My brain and ears can’t process with A#. I know it’s the same but my brain works better with Bb.
By the way, I can’t think C# and Db as the same scale because the mind process is different for me.

Posted Wed 18 Nov 20 @ 10:52 am
Thank you, makes sense. I could see Bb instead of A# for the same reason. A# major key has B# (C-natural) and C## (D-natural) as its second and third note on the scale for example. Bb is simpler.

Posted Wed 18 Nov 20 @ 8:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)