Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How to set up my playlists on a usb stick?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Anyone know of a youtube video or a tutorial that shows how to set up a Virtual DJ Playlist on a USB stick so I can transfer my playlists between my home pc and my notebook computer?

Currently, I am using DJ Serato and have all of my crates/smartcrates on a USB and I am trying to figure out how to make the transition from DJ Serato to Virtual DJ - and bring my music that is on the USB stick with me.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Posted Sat 19 Oct 19 @ 9:33 pm
VirtualDJ uses portable databases.
This means that it holds all the information of the tracks on the drive they are physically located.

Having said that, it's very easy to make a portable USB or hard drive to contain everything you need.

Now, on your main subject:
Playlists are NOT the best solution if you want to carry them over from one system to another.
Sure, VirtualDJ reads standard m3u playlist files and manipulates the data correctly.
However it's easier to create VIRTUAL FOLDERS instead of playlists.
Virtual Folders are "VirtualDJ specific" playlists that they get stored on the same drive that their files are.
This means that your Virtual Folders will get saved inside your USB drive if they contain files only from that drive.
Virtual Folders have a sorting order as well, but they have one limitation compared to standard m3u playlists: A track can exist only once inside a Virtual Folder.
If you don't need specific order playlists with several entries per track, then Virtual Folders are your best shot.
Otherwise you would have to use standard m3u playlists.
VirtualDj stores m3u playlists on a special location: inside Documents\VirtualDJ\Playlists folder.
You'll need to copy these files from that folder on your USB drive, and if you want them to appear on "native" location on the other PC you'll have to copy them on the new PC on the same location.
While it's not a big deal, these extra steps (copy from one PC documents\virtualdj\playlists folder to USB drive, then copy to the other pc's same folder) are not needed with Virtual Folders and that's why they are recommended.

PS: The vast majority of VirtualDJ users use external HDD drives set-up like that!

Posted Mon 21 Oct 19 @ 9:28 am
Wow! Thank you for the through well thought out answer and taking the time to post!

Now I understand why my files were not coming with my stick.

THANK YOU so much!

Posted Wed 23 Oct 19 @ 7:25 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)