Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Opus Files - Not Displaying Tags

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

FursaPRO InfinityMember since 2015
At first I thought VDJ was simply not displaying the Artist of a song, turns out it is not reading any Opus tags, instead its generating title from file name.

Posted Tue 02 Jul 19 @ 4:32 am
I had to Google to find out that Opus is a streaming format. Why are you adding those files to VDJ? I doubt they’ll be playable.

Posted Tue 02 Jul 19 @ 11:47 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Opus is not just for streaming, it's the successor of vorbis and speex codecs.

Posted Tue 02 Jul 19 @ 11:53 am
Used by SoundCloud and YouTube it seems. I suspect OP has been ripping from streams.

Posted Tue 02 Jul 19 @ 11:59 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
I always add opus to vdj for years, not ripped from streams but self recorded and VDJ handle them - most are test files for format comparison / sound profiling
it's only a file extention for mostly ogg+opus as never be used ogg+vorbis/theora or sometimes with ogg+speex
webm+opus are certainly ripping from streams... but VDJ handle them correctly as .webm - with no tags

I suspect .opus was used during early development of opus codec to make the difference between used codecs and its usage was keept
as far as it is not a container there are any tags in pure opus files, they are audio streams and may contains extra stream informations not related as would be vp8

Common Opus files use ogg container by default and as such may use the Vorbis tagging standard and the .ogg extent
it wouldn't hurt to add .opus as a .ogg variant even if there were some early issues doing so for years with ffmpeg

Posted Tue 02 Jul 19 @ 12:54 pm
Yes, will add opus file extension to be treated as ogg stream for tagging purposes

Posted Tue 02 Jul 19 @ 2:29 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
It's the first I've heard of the extension but after a wiki read up it looks like a good format if file size/bandwidth is an issue.

Posted Tue 02 Jul 19 @ 5:17 pm
New to me too, which is one reason why I'd avoid it for encoding anything essential (like tracks for DJing). It could go the way of Betamax.

Posted Tue 02 Jul 19 @ 5:26 pm
It's been around for a while though, and it's use may actually increase soon as it's the codec chosen to accompany the AV1 video codec. (open/patent free video codec competing with h.265 and with support from several big companies)

Posted Tue 02 Jul 19 @ 7:36 pm
staffjpPRO InfinityMember since 2009
buenas a todos alguien tiene idea de ese codec para AV1 para mac ? descargue unos videos y resulta que no lo veo imagen en la pantalla si el audio. ayudaaaaaaaaa

Posted Mon 16 Dec 19 @ 10:02 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)