Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Configure Denon DN-S3700

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djak24kHome userMember since 2008
How can I configure the DN-S3700 to scroll through effects? I've searched and I've tried using the support chat. and I've opened a ticket for this.

The first time I opened a live chat I got lucky and got hooked up. Ever since then, however, live chat sucks. I basically am told to learn how to script myself or they just don't belive that the factory settings don't work how I want them to, or that the map should be available still somewhere on my computer, or to come to the forum. So here I am.

Before I buy this software I expect it to work the way I want it to. I'm completely new to dj'ing on the computer... I've only used vinyl, cd's and flash drives. Until recently. I also expect to get customer support if I buy this software.

So basically there are 3 effect banks. I want to be able to scroll through all the effects, and be able to turn them ON or OFF, Scroll through effect banks them selves (1,2,3) and be able to adjust the effect's parameters at least a little bit. I have a rotary knob and a "flip" button I could use for this
When I say I got hooked up, I used chat and connected my computer to a support chat guy remotely and he went in and changed my mapping. It was kinda working... and next thing I know is that the knob doesn't scroll through effects but it scrolls through the lenght of the autoloop. I don't know how it got changed but it did.

Also, for some reason what is playing on the right deck in Virtual DJ plays on the left deck on my 3700's. Even when I switch the Deck 1/ Deck 2 in the controller mapping section. Not that big of a deal because I can reverse channels on my mixer... but I'd like to get that figured out.

Posted Fri 28 Sep 18 @ 8:32 pm
normally i would tell you to have a look at the manual for the device https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/denon/s3700/index.html

but that manual seems to be broken or incomplete

about support ... IMO you will not find better support with any other software then what you get right here from VDJ. It is not always instant and sometimes takes a few days be patient and I am sure you will get the help you need.

Posted Fri 28 Sep 18 @ 8:39 pm
wickedmix wrote :
that manual seems to be broken or incomplete

Agreed. The controls page has an image that shows all the controls, but there's no info below it.

Posted Sat 29 Sep 18 @ 10:34 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Sorry for jumping in late.

Manual will be uploaded soon. The default behavior is indeed a bit tricky, especially if you dont have anything to read, but in general the EFX knob provides effect selection (and param adjust when Fx is enabled) and triggering on push, when one of the 3 FX1, FX2, FX3 buttons are used. When not, the knob adjusts the size of the loop

Anyways here is an approach to use 3 FX slots
FX1
var 'fxslot' 1 ? set 'fxslot' 0 : set 'fxslot' 1

FX2
var 'fxslot' 2 ? set 'fxslot' 0 : set 'fxslot' 2

FX3
var 'fxslot' 3 ? set 'fxslot' 0 : set 'fxslot' 3

LED_FX1
var 'fxslot' 1

LED_FX2
var 'fxslot' 2

LED_FX3
var 'fxslot' 3

EFX KNOB
var 'fxslot'1 ? effect_active 1 ? effect_slider 1 : effect_select 1 : var 'fxslot' 2 ? effect_active 2 ? effect_slider 2 1 : effect_select 2 : var 'fxslot' 3 ? effect_active 3 ? effect_slider 3 1 : effect_select 3 : loop_select

EFX KNOB PUSH
var 'fxslot'1 ? effect_active 1 : var 'fxslot' 2 ? effect_active 2 : var 'fxslot' 3 ? effect_active 3 : loop

LED EFX KNOB
var 'fxslot'1 ? effect_active 1 ? blink 400ms : on : var 'fxslot' 2 ? effect_active 2 ? blink 400ms : on : var 'fxslot' 3 ? effect_active 3 ? blink 400ms : on : loop ? blink : on

When FX1 is on (LED blinks), the knob controls the FX slot 1 (selects or adjusts the 1st PRM if enabled - push to enable)
When FX2 is on (LED blinks), the knob controls the FX slot 2 (selects or adjusts the 1st PRM if enabled - push to enable)
When FX3 is on (LED blinks), the knob controls the FX slot 3 (selects or adjusts the 1st PRM if enabled - push to enable)
When none of the FX1, FX2, FX3 are on (none of the Leds blink), the knob adjusts the loop size and push to turn on/off

Let me know if you need further adjustments or different behavior. If you are satisfied with the above, i could add some further actions to the scripts to show texts on the LCD

Regarding your other issue (left deck playing at the right and vice versa, there are 2 things here..
1 Control. Try to enable e.g. a loop from the Denon unit. If it enables the loop on the wrong deck (watch the GUI), then it means that you need to assign the units to different decks , from VDJ Settings-->Controllers tab, where you select the device from the left side list and assign the correct decks on the right side
2. Audio routing. Regardless the correct Control (see above), the audio routing needs to be adjusted from the AUDIO tab of VDJ Settings, where you may have to swap the Channels (or sound cards), but thats mostly up to the used sound card, so best would be to post here your Audio setup.

Posted Sat 29 Sep 18 @ 4:16 pm
Thanks so much djdad.. This is kinda how the support had it hooked up. Thanks a lot. Can't do it now but I will ASAP
He made use of my trim button some how. I forgot how... I think... ny holding the trim button and pressing down or scrolling the rotary knob did something (Scroll through banks?)

So... In order for me to scroll through the fx… an effect has to be on? there's no way around this? This is what happened before then... what effects readily available werem't what I wanted and all I could get it to do was scroll the loop and I couldn't get it to exit...

Posted Sun 30 Sep 18 @ 1:40 am
Ok so here is an update.

I stopped messing with it for a while. Still not much help from tech support. I bought into the monthly subscription as one of them told me I needed to have a sub in order for him to help me... and then it was time to clock out. Wow.

So I'm not so sure if that mapping even works because I can't even get past the loading phase. When VDJ loads it resets all my settings... So this is where I am:

Internally, inside the turntable's settings, the left deck is set to "Unit Number 1" and right deck is set to "Unit Number 2"
However, when I load the DenonDJ Asio settings, the first deck listed it "Unit #2" and second is "Unit #1"
This may or may not indicate placement but just showing me what is available... I'm not sure. See the screenshot, It is simply listing what media players are connected.
I have 2 options for Asio... "Denon DJ Asio" and "DN-S3700 (WASAPI)" (and... "2-DN-S3700 (WASAPI)" is another option.) So far I've been using the "Denon DJ Asio".
Using an external mixer, my outputs are just my decks... So I would think Deck 1 would be "USB Audio Device_1 1 & 2"... but when I use that and load a track on the LEFT table in VDJ, the sound goes to the right turntable and right channel. So when I switch the tables in the controller list (Deck 1 and 2), my left turntable spins as it does in the program but sound comes out the Right channel of my mixer.
So I basically go back and forth with all of this. Keep in mind... Any time I change the settings under the "Audio" tab, the program restarts and it puts me back at the factory default "controller" setting with the mapping set to "Factory Default" and the "Deck" selected to "Automatic"

I can't save my settings!!! I've tried clicking the floppy drive icon on the Audio tab. I type in a name, example "3700" and it's there until I click apply then it goes away.

However after messing with it for some time... I can get it to work. Left deck on VDJ playing to the left physical turntable with sound coming out the "left" (or first) channel of the mixer. However, tonight, I've been at it well over an hour and can't get it to work.

I'm just gonna leave this here. It's already becoming a long read and I just want help. The perc of having my entire music collection at my fingertips is going to be worth it. I hope.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 18 @ 6:58 am
HOLY F#&$
I finally got it working... with the following setup:

So, basically everything is backward yet it works. under audio, Deck 1 is set to "deck 2" and under controllers/mapping I switched Deck 1 and Deck 2 and it works. It's double backwords so I'd guess that the exact opposite would work but it doesn't?

So how can I save this setting? So that when it opens again I don't have to re-do all this? Because I swear I've had it set this exact way before and it DIDNT work so maybe there is something else going on.

when I click the floppy nothing happens!

Posted Mon 15 Oct 18 @ 7:46 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
There have been some crashes logged that appear to be in the denon asio driver.
You could try to use WASAPI instead.

In the audio tab configure as follows:
deck 1 - DN-S3700 (WASAPI) with channels 1/2
deck 2 - 2-DN-S3700 (WASAPI) also with channels 1/2

You can swap the first and second one if the sound of the left deck is coming from the right output and the other way around.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 18 @ 7:48 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)