Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Importing Set LIsts from account to newly download Virtual DJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

is it possible to import Set Lists from My Account to the VDJ8 software? had to reinstall software to new laptop after last was stolen!! trying to get history and playlist back into dashboard when offline. is it possible?

Posted Mon 30 Apr 18 @ 10:12 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
You can set up your set list as a cloud list. This would make it visible in VDJ in the Lists & Advice area. Then you can build a virtual folder or playlist from that.

Posted Mon 30 Apr 18 @ 11:26 pm
Can you access set lists more than a year old?

Posted Tue 01 May 18 @ 10:08 am
If you haven't deleted them. I have some from 2015. Click on "My Sets" up above and take a look.

EDIT: Sidneysides, your specific link is right below. I tried to look for you. But, your lists are not public.

https://www.virtualdj.com/user/sidneysides/playlists

Posted Tue 01 May 18 @ 3:50 pm
When I go to My Played Sets, they only go back as far as April 2017 (I do have them in my History though on VDJ).

Posted Wed 02 May 18 @ 12:26 pm
Hmm, maybe there is a limit to how many you can have. I go in and delete ones that are just practice or checking out music. I also label and save ones that are events I want to keep. Someone from VDJ will have to chime in further.

Posted Wed 02 May 18 @ 3:45 pm
Another reason to make a regular backup of your Documents> VirtualDJ folder to an external drive, memory stick or the likes of Dropbox.

Why Atomix doesn't offer a server side backup of users data after so many people asking amazes me. It's such a basic requirement for a software provider and would save posts like these popping up all the time.

Posted Wed 02 May 18 @ 4:26 pm
Well yeah it's a basic thing.......but so is a user taking their own backups, either to a hard drive, flash drive, the cloud, another computer (etc).

Why should Atomix have to deal with it (and the cost involved) if the users are too ignorant to look after their own data?

Posted Wed 02 May 18 @ 4:45 pm
I agree wholeheartedly @groovin ..... but a lot of the people I know with (cracked) VDJ hardly know how to switch their laptop on, let alone have a regime for backing up their music and software settings.

If it was done server side for registered users, automatic monthly backup would be another good selling point.

Posted Wed 02 May 18 @ 5:15 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
It's such a basic requirement for a software provider

I disagree with this part right here.
I don’t think any software company should be required to back up their users data. I even remember all the posts complaining about the set list feature. To add to that the dnadwidth required to back up every user. Sure, playlists are small files, but my database is 50M. Then what liability to the take on.

I agree the option would be cool. But, there are a lot of other ways like Dropbox to achieve this.

Posted Wed 02 May 18 @ 5:40 pm
blckjck wrote :
kradcliffe wrote :
It's such a basic requirement for a software provider

I disagree with this part right here.
I don’t think any software company should be required to back up their users data

Apart from the tens of millions of Apple users whose device data is backed up automatically and can be restored to another device should it be broken, lost or stolen.

No, obviously not a popular feature at all.

Posted Wed 02 May 18 @ 5:44 pm
I'm not saying it's not a popular feature. Please don't feel you need to defend yourself against me.
I also said the option would be cool. I use the feature for my iDevices, and pay extra for the service.
Apple does this to support their hardware. They also offer a music mirroring until a certain database size, then you have to pay. That may be going away when they stop selling music and go to a streaming only platform in a year.

I'm saying it shouldn't be required or expected from a software company.

If it was, then the cost of the software or a subscription fee would probably have to be added to support that business model. Look how much the fore mentioned Apple device cost.

Posted Wed 02 May 18 @ 5:58 pm
Sorry if my reply sounded rude, it wasn't supposed to be like that.

Even if Atomix created a weekly backup link to Dropbox et al then that would work. for example my SMS backup app on Android backs up my SMS history (from 2010) and call logs at 7pm each day to either Google Drive or Dropbox, It's automatic and seamless.

My entire VDJ folder is only 33mb, so in the grander scale of things that's tiny.

Perhaps it could create an initial full backup of the VDJ folder, then incrementally update any new or changed files weekly (Database, effects INI files, new history, updated playlists etc)

Surely it wouldn't be too much hassle to build something like this in to VDJ?

Posted Wed 02 May 18 @ 6:07 pm
I don't want to take this to far off the original post, but, its related so I'll keep going.

My plugins folder is double that and my database is as well. lol.
Personally, I have a batch file that sync's only changed files in my library. This includes everything in the VDJ folder and my media.
I suppose I should take some time to write up a blog on it. There is some initial things that I set up to make this easier, and I am windows based, but modifying it to work for Mac isn't hard.

My router for my network has a cloud service that lets me get to my backups remotely without using a third party service. But, with the price of USB drives, it makes sense to add a USB drive to this process and carry it with you. I'll start on the blog now and link it in here later.

Posted Wed 02 May 18 @ 6:26 pm
I use Synchredible to backup to Dropbox with a separate VDJ folder for each machine, and it just takes seconds.

All I'm saying is that VDJ could automate this process to silently run in the background.

Posted Wed 02 May 18 @ 6:44 pm
Well, here is my first draft. I've exhausted myself in one sitting. Time to practice mixing for a while... lol
[link]https://www.virtualdj.com/user/blckjck/blogs/5684/How_I_backup_VDJ_and_my_media.html[/link]

Posted Wed 02 May 18 @ 8:38 pm
Comparing Apple to Atomix? That's a stretch don't you think?

Posted Wed 02 May 18 @ 11:18 pm
I do keep a backup of my VDJ folder, was just an observation about the number of setlists kept.

Posted Thu 03 May 18 @ 8:28 am
A Man and His Music wrote :
Comparing Apple to Atomix? That's a stretch don't you think?

I know, it's terrible for Apple. Atomix obviously have a far higher profit margin.

Posted Thu 03 May 18 @ 8:45 am

Posted Thu 03 May 18 @ 11:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)