Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Every time VDJ updates, all of my settings are returned to default. How can I stop this from happening?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Like the title says. I pay for VDJ because it is highly customizable, however the last two times I downloaded the software updates, all of my custom settings, including controller and keyboard mapping, preferred video transitions, everything is reset like it has been newly installed.

At this point I am afraid to download any more updates before a show, but it seems to be updating and/or reverting my settings randomly. I opened it today to start preparing for a show, and I have instead had to fix all of the settings. If there is no way to avoid this from happening, I can't rely on VDJ for shows anymore, and I will have to cancel my subscription. Please advise.

Posted Sun 29 Apr 18 @ 11:01 pm
I don't know if there is a difference between the fully paid version and the monthly subscription version, but, I bought mine over 10 years ago and have never had this problem updating. All my customized settings are untouched.

I wonder if others with the subscription version have the same problem as you.

Posted Sun 29 Apr 18 @ 11:11 pm
It's all in your /documents/virtualdj folder and sub folders; so you may have a user permission issue on you laptop. In any case you can backup this folder and subfolders to get settings, database and other components like addon effects back if you loose them

Posted Mon 30 Apr 18 @ 5:01 am
Your settings should stay intact between updates.

However, keep in mind:
1) You should use the "automatic update" feature of VirtualDJ itself.
2) Removing previous installation of VirtualDJ before installing a new one is more likely to delete your settings (and databases) if you don't pay attention to the setup messages
3) It's absolutely OK to install VirtualDJ on top of a previous installation without uninstalling first.
4) All your valuable data (settings, database, skins e.t.c.) are stored on Documents\VirtualDJ folder. This folder is critical for VirtualDJ and you should check permission rights on it. As a troubleshooting guide, try to include "Everyone" security group and set it's permissions to "Full control"

Finally:
Check whether or not your using any software that could mess with Documents folder (and it's subfolders) like backup/restore programs, e.t.c.
Check any "optimizer" program you may use as whether or not it messes with Documents folder

Posted Mon 30 Apr 18 @ 9:39 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Your settings should stay intact between updates.

However, keep in mind:
1) You should use the "automatic update" feature of VirtualDJ itself.
2) Removing previous installation of VirtualDJ before installing a new one is more likely to delete your settings (and databases) if you don't pay attention to the setup messages
3) It's absolutely OK to install VirtualDJ on top of a previous installation without uninstalling first.
4) All your valuable data (settings, database, skins e.t.c.) are stored on Documents\VirtualDJ folder. This folder is critical for VirtualDJ and you should check permission rights on it. As a troubleshooting guide, try to include "Everyone" security group and set it's permissions to "Full control"

Finally:
Check whether or not your using any software that could mess with Documents folder (and it's subfolders) like backup/restore programs, e.t.c.
Check any "optimizer" program you may use as whether or not it messes with Documents folder

This is very helpful, I will look into all of these things. Thanks for responding so quickly.

Posted Mon 30 Apr 18 @ 9:33 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)