Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Skip +/-16 beats with the Shift+Beats button on a Pioneer DDJ-SZ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,
I have the following command on my Numark NS7II. Essentially what this does is it would skip +/- .25 of a beat when I turn the beats button clockwise/anticlockwise respectively. It would also skip +/- 16 beats when I turn the beats button clockwise/anticlockwise respectively, when the shift button is held down

The right deck command is
param_greater 0 ? var '$shift' ? deck right goto +0.25 : deck right goto +0.5 : var '$shift' ? deck right goto -0.25 : deck right goto -0.5

I want to replicate this command on a Pioneer DDJ-SZ and from the Keys selection, I can see two similar keys:

Which one of these 2 highlighted should I paste the command above. Or do I need a different command to achieve the above?
Thanks in advance

Posted Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 8:46 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Fx encoder beats for your 1/4 beat
Shift encoder beats for your 16 beats.

Posted Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 8:58 am
locodog wrote :
Fx encoder beats for your 1/4 beat
Shift encoder beats for your 16 beats.

Thanks for your prompt response. Small mistake on my initial post. I want when I turn the Right Deck Beats button, it should skip +/- 0.5 of a beat when I turn the beats button clockwise/anticlockwise respectively. It should also skip +/- 16 beats when I turn the beats button clockwise/anticlockwise respectively, when the shift button is held down. Current command on NS7II is actually:
param_greater 0 ? var '$shift' ? deck right goto +16 : deck right goto +0.5 : var '$shift' ? deck right goto -16 : deck right goto -0.5

So essentially this should be the command on the DDJZ mapping?
FX2_ENC_BEATS
param_greater 0 ? deck right goto +0.5 : deck right goto -0.5
and
SHIFT_FX2_ENC_BEATS
param_greater 0 ? deck right goto +16 : deck right goto -16

Thanks in advance.

Posted Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 9:33 am
murayadavid wrote :

So essentially this should be the command on the DDJZ mapping?
FX2_ENC_BEATS
param_greater 0 ? deck right goto +0.5 : deck right goto -0.5
and
SHIFT_FX2_ENC_BEATS
param_greater 0 ? deck right goto +16 : deck right goto -16

Thanks in advance.

Exactly.
However you can skip the deck assignments since those encoders are already assigned on left/right decks:

FX1_ENC_BEATS= param_greater 0 ? goto +0.5 : goto -0.5
SHIFT_FX1_ENC_BEATS= param_greater 0 ? goto +16 : goto -16
FX2_ENC_BEATS= param_greater 0 ? goto +0.5 : goto -0.5
SHIFT_FX2_ENC_BEATS= param_greater 0 ? goto +16 : goto -16

Posted Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 11:46 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
murayadavid wrote :

So essentially this should be the command on the DDJZ mapping?....

Yep, you looked like you'd get it with minimal description.

I think all controllers will create a shift+button mapping if you press key learn & shift+button.

Its like vdjs mapping engine performs the shift query for you.

Posted Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 12:35 pm
locodog wrote :

I think all controllers will create a shift+button mapping if you press key learn & shift+button.

Its like vdjs mapping engine performs the shift query for you.

Not all, but most controllers.

There are 3 cases:

1) The controller offers a SHIFT button that sends MIDI messages and also offers the same MIDI messages for all other elements regardless if SHIFT is pressed or not.
In this case VirtualDJ does the shift query for you and creates automatically all SHIFT_ELEMENTNAME elements for mapping

2) The controller offers a SHIFT button that sends MIDI messages and also offers different MIDI messages for all other elements when SHIFT is pressed (hardware shift)
In this case VirtualDJ still does the shift query for you and creates automatically all SHIFT_ELEMENTNAME elements for mapping. However it relies on proper device definition so that the hardware shifted elements are treated as shifted, and not normal elements (so that you won't end up with a SHIFT_SHIFT_ELEMENTNAME)

3) The controller offers a SHIFT button that doesn't send any MIDI message and also offers different MIDI messages for all other elements when SHIFT is pressed (hardware shift)
In this case VirtualDJ doesn't do any SHIFT query. Device definition must include the SHIFT_ELEMENTNAME elements and they are not treated as shifted operations, but as normal ones.

That's the technical stuff.

From a users point of view there are "Normal" and "Shifted" elements he can map. If an element doesn't offer a SHIFT_ equivalent then there are some technical limitations on the device that prevent VirtualDJ from offering such an element and the end user should not try to create it.

Posted Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 12:49 pm
Many thanks guys.
I really appreciate your prompt responses.

One last question on effects. When I launch VDJ8, I have the following command on ONINIT:
mixer_order 3124 & play_mode 'pioneer' & fake_master on & fake_hp on & set '$fx1multi' 1 & set '$fx2multi' 1
What this does, is that it initialises 1 effect on each fx button:

How can I achieve the same on the Pioneer DDJ-SZ?
I tried the same command but I did not get a similar result on DDJ-SZ.

Many thanks again!

Posted Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 12:58 pm
Please don't quote a post directly above, thank you.

Posted Sat 10 Mar 18 @ 8:57 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)