Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Trouble creating definition and mapping file for Ableton Push midi Controler

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

NuzzletPRO InfinityMember since 2015
I am trying to create a definition file for the Ableton Push. I have it identified, and the controllers set up. However, I am having trouble getting the input identified in the mapping file. How do I know what midi note I am sending with each button? How do I know what format to put it in in the definition file, and how do I know what to call it.

If I start virtual dj without the definition file, the Ableton Push is identified as a basic midi device, so virtual dj detects the input fine. When I press one of the buttons on it though, the key learn area says a couple things, not just one:

0-JOG21
0-ENCODER21
0-SLIDER21

The number at the end changes with the button.

When I press a touch sensitive pad, it shows like this:

0-BUTTON21

Once again, the number at the end changes with the pad.

I wan't the pad that identifies with:

0-BUTTON47

To be identified as "PLAY" so I can map it to "PLAY PAUSE" but when I enter:

0x47

Into the note area of the button element in the definition file, restart virtual dj, and setup the controller, it doesn't see the input.

Basically, I want to know how to find out what button is what note, and how to identify that midi note in the definition file. Also, I don't know if my device uses cc midi.

Posted Mon 09 May 16 @ 1:15 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009

Posted Mon 09 May 16 @ 2:18 pm
I have been through that document, and all the others on the wiki.

Posted Mon 09 May 16 @ 7:28 pm
You should use the "MIDI Trace" tool listed on developers page in order to identify the MIDI codes of the buttons.
Do you have a MIDI table for the device ? (Usually inside the manual of the device)
If there's a MIDI table we can also take a look in order to support the device
Let us know

Posted Mon 09 May 16 @ 8:05 pm
I have used the midi trace tool. I don't know of any midi chart. I am searching now. Could they have made this any harder?

Posted Mon 09 May 16 @ 8:08 pm
It has something to do with "Relative (lin 2's Comp.)" mapping mode? THis controller was originaly designed for use specifically in the Ableton Live software. All the buttons and stuff are weird. I also found this:

You cannot map the User button itself as this would make it impossible to leave User Mode.

The Touchstrip can be mapped but will continue to send Pitch Bend information simultaneously.

Touching the top of an encoder will send a MIDI Note, while turning the encoder will transmit a Control Change message (both can be mapped separately).

All buttons (except the 8x8 pad grid) send Control Change messages. This means they send values of 0 and 127 and can't be used to "toggle" parameters.

When mapping an encoder, the correct Mapping Mode is "Relative (lin 2's Comp.)", which can be chosen from the Status Bar.

Push's LCD will not display any feedback when creating custom MIDI mappings in User Mode.

Posted Mon 09 May 16 @ 8:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)