Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Virtual Folder Disaster...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Ran into a problem while adding an existing virtual folder by way of dragging it up into another existing virtual folder tree that was not expanded which contained about fifteen sub-folders for karaoke singers playlist at a venue.

When I dropped that one virtual folder into the new location (venue tree), it was added, but it wiped out all my sub folders for the singers in that venue tree. Use this every week..

What can I do to recover from this disaster?

Please Help, Thanks.. Joey

Win 8.1 VDJ 7.4.7

Posted Thu 31 Mar 16 @ 10:38 pm
Presumably you've kept a backup copy of your database?

If not, try right clicking on the file and see if "previous versions" is active in windows.

Posted Fri 01 Apr 16 @ 4:27 am
Yes, I have an old db backup on another computer which contain that virtual folder venue tree and is complete.
The problem here is that it doesn't have a lot of new venues and new media that's been added since.

Question:
Can I transplant that virtual folder information including it's subfolders from my old db into my current db on my gig computer to restore that venue folder.?

Posted Fri 01 Apr 16 @ 1:23 pm
Don't see why not, just edit the data out of the old database in to the new one with an XML editor.

You really should back up your DB regularly though.

Posted Fri 01 Apr 16 @ 1:32 pm

Posted Fri 01 Apr 16 @ 1:48 pm
This would be my first time doing this sort of thing on a xml db, I have Notepad++ and I know by opening the db that it contains a line number that reference Virtual folders and its contents within..

...but not sure how this would effect the new db if the same numbers are being occupied by other data in the new db?

I'm thinking copy and paste from Old db into the New db... what would happen if those same line numbers are already populated.

..Is there an import procedure of some sort?

Thanks..

Posted Fri 01 Apr 16 @ 3:26 pm
AsTheDJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Try looking in your Tracklisting history ( LOG ) TXT will give you day 1 of VDj and pull the song from there to make a NEW folder in VDj with the song you need. or Sometime folders are hiding in sub folder and you over look them open VDj and ck the folders also you may see them but ck your history in tracking for a pass LOG.

Posted Fri 01 Apr 16 @ 4:15 pm
He's using version 7 so the folders are stored in the DB. That is how it now works for V8.

Posted Fri 01 Apr 16 @ 4:17 pm
asthedj wrote :
Try looking in your history ( LOG ) TXT will give you day 1 of VDj and pull the song from there to make a NEW folder in VDj with the song you need. or Sometime folders are hiding in sub folder and you over look them open VDj and ck the folders also you may see them but ck your history in tracking from a pass LOG.

Posted Fri 01 Apr 16 @ 4:18 pm
The song are missing But he can get a list of the songs from his history and make a new folder ,Each year I look back what I played over one year.

Posted Fri 01 Apr 16 @ 4:20 pm
asthedj wrote :
The song are missing But he can get a list of the songs from his history and make a new folder ,Each year I look back what I played over one year.

Posted Fri 01 Apr 16 @ 4:22 pm
asthedj wrote :

Posted Fri 01 Apr 16 @ 4:22 pm
It's all virtual sub-folders that got wiped out, the root folder is still there, each singers song history was within each sub-folder.. That's why its important to recover..
Using VDJ 7.4.7 Win 8.1 os..
Thanks...

Posted Fri 01 Apr 16 @ 4:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)