Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Can this be done............ - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Ok so I was on the Serato forums and was reading about the new Denon unit and it has this feature,

Quote,
That's a new performance mode unique to the MCX8000 when using Serato DJ. This unit comes with a Pitch 'n Time DJ license and using this mode allows you to choose a cue point (holding shift - pressing one of your cues) then that cue point will be mapped across the pads in transposed keys. The root key will be lit up and then you can move up and down octaves with the parameter keys.
End Quote

Is there anyway I can make my DDJ SP1 act like this???

Posted Tue 19 Jan 16 @ 8:44 pm
I guess it's just done via some coding in the mapping.

This sort of thing is fairly common on samplers such as the Akai MPC1000 (16 level tuning).

Well in VDJ you can change the key a deck plays back at, so in theory you could assign a "key shift" and a hot cue number to a set of pads I reckon.

Hmmm..... hot_cue 1 & key_move -1 (for example) works but each time you hit it, the key drops - so there needs to be a way of zeroing it afterwards or just temporarily playing a different key. Where's locodog? :-)

Shame we can't use key change in the sampler. It's a standard thing in real samplers, and has been for decades.

Posted Tue 19 Jan 16 @ 9:34 pm
Have you tried running the sampler threw a deck and changing the key, does that work??

Anyways back on topic I think for my SP1 they could use a "holding 100ms" instead of a shift as the shift already changes the pads to something.

I'm sure Bob or Phantom could figure this out, lol!!

Posted Tue 19 Jan 16 @ 9:59 pm
Ah, but that (if it worked) would change the key of all the pads at once because the sampler only has one output.

Posted Tue 19 Jan 16 @ 10:22 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Did you guys try that?
Maybe it'll work.

hot_cue 1 & key_move -1 while_pressed

Posted Tue 19 Jan 16 @ 10:23 pm
Yes it works, but you do have to hold the key down and not just press it - so quick pad juggling wouldn't be possible.

Posted Tue 19 Jan 16 @ 10:32 pm
Right, so basically I wanna give my hotcue pads a 3rd function.

I'm sure it can be done but I'm no good at that stuff so ill wait for the experts to hopefully chime in and save me, lol!!

Posted Wed 20 Jan 16 @ 1:31 am
My English don't help me to understand exactly how this mode works, but from what I get it should be really easy to accomplish.

SO:

PAD1: Original Key
PAD2: KEY -1
PAD3: KEY -2
PAD4: KEY -3
PAD5: N/A
PAD6: KEY+1
PAD7: KEY+2
PAD8: KEY+3

PAD1: key 0.5 & hot_cue 1
PAD2: param_equal get_key_modifier -1 ? hot_cue 1 : key 0.5 & key_move -1 & hot_cue 1
PAD3: param_equal get_key_modifier -2 ? hot_cue 1 : key 0.5 & key_move -2 & hot_cue 1
PAD4: param_equal get_key_modifier -3 ? hot_cue 1 : key 0.5 & key_move -3 & hot_cue 1
PAD6: param_equal get_key_modifier 1 ? hot_cue 1 : key 0.5 & key_move +1 & hot_cue 1
PAD7: param_equal get_key_modifier 2 ? hot_cue 1 : key 0.5 & key_move +2 & hot_cue 1
PAD8: param_equal get_key_modifier 3 ? hot_cue 1 : key 0.5 & key_move +3 & hot_cue 1

Is that what you want ?

PS: I only bothered with the changing key part because that's what I don't understand by the description.
Setting which hotcue you want to work with is very simple.

Posted Wed 20 Jan 16 @ 1:34 am
Yes sir, that looks and sounds what id like at least I think anyways, lol!

The only other thing I need is it to be a pad mode on the DDJ SP1??

Since pressing shift and the hot cue puts it into hot cues 9-16 I figure maybe if the hot cue button was used to activate it by holding it down??

Posted Wed 20 Jan 16 @ 2:14 am
I have a special mapper for my DDJ SP1, if you'd like I can send it to you??

Posted Wed 20 Jan 16 @ 2:55 am
Send me your mapper and I can tweak this mode (Hot 9-16) to act like this with hotcues 1-8

Posted Wed 20 Jan 16 @ 2:21 pm
Ok cool, I'm at work now and shut my machine off before I let the house and i can't remotely turn it back on so ill send it over tonight.

One more question before you begin, will this only work with the first cue point or will I be able to use any cue point??

Ideally id like to be able to use any cue point, lol!!

Posted Wed 20 Jan 16 @ 3:31 pm
Any of the first 8 cue points

Posted Wed 20 Jan 16 @ 4:10 pm
Badass!!

I'll send that as soon as I get home tonight!!

Thanks a million!!

Posted Wed 20 Jan 16 @ 4:22 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Send me your mapper and I can tweak this mode (Hot 9-16) to act like this with hotcues 1-8

Mapper sent!!

Posted Wed 20 Jan 16 @ 11:24 pm
Phantom have you forgot about me, lmao!!

Posted Sat 23 Jan 16 @ 1:03 am
Ok so I've been playin around with this all last week and I can totally use this live but.......... I need more range. I need to be able to move up and down the scale more then what I already can.

Any word on if this can be done?? Because I'm loving this so far (thumbs up)

Posted Mon 25 Jan 16 @ 3:56 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You can just change the amount of key on each line (twice). Works fine here on my Neon, using cue_select on the shift pad to select the cue, then the 8 pads to select the key.

You could always have two key change modes too, say one for up and one for down.

Posted Mon 25 Jan 16 @ 5:11 pm
More range means more buttons, or bigger key changes.
The mapper I gave you has 1 semi steps. You can change them to 2 semi ( so it's +/-2, +/-4, +/-6) or you need to use a modifier.

I didn't forgot you, but my weekend has been busy as hell.

I was trying to think which is the best way to provide you access to more keys since it has to be fast and I come up to 2 possible solutions:

1) Use SHIFT to grand access to more keys. This is fast but it will take away from you the ability to jump to a new hotcue without exiting "keymod" mode first
2) Use parameter buttons as 2 shift buttons:
A) PARAM LEFT would give you access to ranges +/-4, +/-5 & +/-6
B) PARAM RIGHT would give change the stepping of key mod so that pads are +/-2, +/-4, +/-6)
I repeat these would be "SHIFT" buttons so that modifications can be fast. However I don't know how convenient it is to hold down a parameter button and hitting the pads.

Let me know your thoughts so that I can complete the mapper.

Posted Mon 25 Jan 16 @ 5:39 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :

2) Use parameter buttons as 2 shift buttons:
A) PARAM LEFT would give you access to ranges +/-4, +/-5 & +/-6
B) PARAM RIGHT would give change the stepping of key mod so that pads are +/-2, +/-4, +/-6)
I repeat these would be "SHIFT" buttons so that modifications can be fast. However I don't know how convenient it is to hold down a parameter button and hitting the pads.

Let me know your thoughts so that I can complete the mapper.

This is the mode I want.

And just so were both on the same page, when I press a parameter key (left or right) it will switch all the pads up or down.

So once I get to say +3 if I hit the pram key my pads will now be +4, +5 and +6 or vice versa if i go down -4,-5 and -6, right??

Posted Mon 25 Jan 16 @ 6:21 pm
59%