Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: VDJ 8 does not use the indicated fonts - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I've looked for an answer in the forums, but nobody seems to have encountered this problem...

(by the way, a little tip for those of you who did not know: if you want to search the forums, the best way - as far as i know - is to use google, type in the word(s) of the topic and then type: site:www.virtualdj.com)

The clock, the deck text zones, the browser, nothing is showing the right (in skin indicated) font... The fonts are all installed correctly on my system. In fact, I've used them for many years with VDJ 7. Does anyone (devs?) have any idea why this would occur?

P.S.
I switched to Windows 7 64bit. On Windows 7 32bit, VDJ 8 displayed the fonts correctly, as you can see in the 10th post here: http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/202562/VirtualDJ_Skins/incorrect_wave_form_colors_in_VDJ8.html...

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 9:26 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Fonts work fine here.
what exactly if the syntax/name for the font you re using ? Maybe its case sensitive or has to include some word like "bold" "normal" etc ?
If for some reason the name is not correct (font cant be found), by default Arial will be chosen.
You can test some other basic fonts too.. e.g. try font="LCD" and see if it works that way.

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 11:58 am
Hi babis :)

LCD or lcd did not change anything: still arial (?) is used...

Then I tried another font (impact) and then the clock did change and showed up in impact font???

This is what I have now:

<textzone>
<pos x="908" y="429"/>
<size width="105" height="29"/>
<text font="impact" size="28" align="center" weight="normal" color="#00A600" format="%fullhour"/>
</textzone>

...any idea why one font would show up, but another wouldn't?

P.S.
I'm trying to get these fonts to show:
- Bebas Neue
- Digital-7 Mono

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 12:25 pm
Do you have LCD font installed ? See in C:->Windows->Fonts folder and try a few more.
maybe you have weight="bold" and no Bold font exists or vice versa (no normal exists) ?

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 12:33 pm
The lcd.ttf is installed, as are both the desired fonts. They showed up fine in VDJ8 when using W7 32bit...

I tried leaving the whole weight definition out, still no dice.

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 12:40 pm
Fonts sent.

No probs in Photoshop or Word...

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 1:04 pm
Basically there's a big difference in Windows OS between 32-bit and 64-bit on how font names are handled.
Please don't look the name of the file. Instead double click a font to preview it. On the top of the preview window there's a name for the font.
Try to use THAT name exactly as you see it.

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 1:05 pm
Just tried
<font name="Digital-7 Mono" />
and worked fine here (Windows 10)

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 1:10 pm
How/where do i insert this: <font name="Digital-7 Mono" /> when the frase/action is this one: <text font="Digital-7 Mono" size="28" align="center" color="#00A600" format="%fullhour"/> ?

clock:

<textzone>
<pos x="908" y="429"/>
<text font="Digital-7 Mono" size="28" align="center" color="#00A600" format="%fullhour"/>
</textzone>

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 2:12 pm
@Phantom: The ttf file is called "BebasNeue Regular", while inside the file it says: "Bebas Neue Regular". Likewise, the second font file is called "digital-7 (mono)", while inside it says "Digital-7". I've tried both ways, with and without the weight definition. No luck. Thanks for your input!
:)

Don't know if that's important, but the above mentioned "textzone" formula is inside a <deck deck= "1"> container...

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 2:18 pm
I even tried renaming the "digital-7 (mono)" font to "VDJ", in case the brackets or the hyphen were the problem. No luck either...
:(

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 3:07 pm
in version 8 you can have the font defined at the beginning of the skin instead of defining that on each textzone. The Default skins have this <font name=""> element so you will notice that font="" is not used at all in textzones.
If i am correct if the font="" is used inside the element , it will override the initial definition, so u dont have to worry about that.

Is this the same computer (having 2 different OS installed ) or different ones ? Since it works with some fonts, then definitely its not an issue with VirtualDJ. Try a google in search to see if there is some solution for some fonts not properly installed on 64bit systems. Really cant think of anything else to help you here.

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 3:18 pm
Just read this... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/32-bit-extensions-for-64-bit-windows-font/1904ca19-d99a-497f-b8b8-56b6341ccc49

Quote :
Hi,
Unfortunately you won’t be able to use 32bit font on 64bit Operating system. For more information have a look at the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/TrueTypeProperty21.mspx

not sure if this is relevant to your issue though and link doesnt work here.. but there must be an explanation. Google is your friend ;)

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 3:23 pm
Many thanks Babis! It never really occured to me that it could be an exclusively Windows problem... I'll look into the links you provided. I'll let you know if and when I solve the problem, in case anyone else searches the forum for a solution to this problem.

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 3:38 pm
Okay, I've solved half of the problem: (AND IT'S NOT A WINDOWS BUT A VDJ THING GUYS!)

It seems that, in spite of being inside the deck="1" declaration, the textzone needs its own deck asignation... That's not very logical in view of the new VDJScript rules, and counter-productive skin-designer-wise.

THIS DOES NOT WORK:

<deck deck="1">
<textzone>
<pos x="106" y="169"/>
<size width="480" height="36" geterrormessage="false"/>
<text font="Bebas Neue" size="44" color="#0C67F0" format="%author - %title" scroll="yes"/>
</textzone>
</deck>

THIS WORKS:

<textzone deck="1">
<pos x="106" y="169"/>
<text font="Bebas Neue" size="44" color="#0C67F0" format="%author - %title" scroll="yes"/>
</textzone>

(go figure...)

I'm still working on getting my nice "digital display" font to work for my clock...

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 4:35 pm
then you dont create a version 8 skin.
To use the ver 8 Skin engine , you need to have version="8" at the first line of your xml

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 4:37 pm
Okay, I've got my clock digital again, but it's not a clean solution:

I declared a general font in the beginning of the skin:
<font name="Digital-7 Mono" />
and now all not-specifically-determined-fonts (including the clock textzone) use this font. I will have to asign another font for the browser, now...

In other words: the font asignation for the clock textzone DOES NOT WORK on my computer (Windows 7 64 bit, VirtualDJ 8)...
I don't really know why...

Anyway, hope this helps someone.

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 4:43 pm
@Babis:
This is the first line of my skin:

<skin name="DJ CORNY" version="8" width="1920" height="1080" nbdecks="5">

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 4:45 pm
Okay guys, disregard my last few posts. Everything works as it is supposed to, AFTER RESTARTING MY COMPUTER!!!

Babis, my apologies to you. Maybe it's the way I work: I've got the VDJ program open, and after each modification I reload the skin to see the results. This normally works fine, except aparently in this case...

I now have the song info in the Bebas Neue font and the clock in the Digital-7 with the normal codes:

<textzone>
<pos x="106" y="169"/>
</textzone>

<textzone>
<pos x="908" y="429"/>
<text font="Digital-7 Mono" size="28" align="center" color="#00A600" format="%fullhour"/>
</textzone>

I never thought about having to reboot the PC...
Hope this is helpfull for anyone.

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 5:06 pm
Normally a font installation doesnt require a computer restart , but glad it worked for you.

Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 5:13 pm
95%