Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Pioneer DDJ-RZ compatibility? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

kaleoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hello All,

I wonder if the Pionner DDJ-RZ will be compatible with VirtualDJ?
Because today no other software than rekordboxdj claims to be compatible and of course I would be interested in the controller ... with VDJ :-)

Thanks,

Kaléo.

Posted Thu 29 Oct 15 @ 9:42 pm
The RZ is a MIDI controller. VDJ supports MIDI controllers. Ergo they are compatible.

You may have to wait a while until Atomix adds native support, but VDJ has no real restrictions on the MIDI side of things.

Posted Thu 29 Oct 15 @ 10:19 pm
You are nice but the question behind this is: "Is midi enought to perfectly control such a high end controler"...

Posted Fri 30 Oct 15 @ 6:36 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I am afraid that the R series will not be 100% compatible unless Pioneer "opens" the HId protocol. For now, my guess is that the RZ falls into the RX case, meaning that you will be able to map all slider and buttons, but not the LEDS

In fact, if someone is interested in a unit like the RZ, i dont see any reason why not buying the SZ, which is compatible with all popular softwares including Rekordbox DJ.

Pioneer claims that the combination of RZ and RB provides zero latency, but thats still to be proved and buying a unit that is locked to a single software is not tbe best choice imho.

Posted Fri 30 Oct 15 @ 7:46 pm
I agree, the RZ and RX are very similar to the existing SX/SZ models - just a small number of extra buttons.

I don't think it's worth paying the extra, especially as the SX/SZ will probably start dropping price when the R models are established.

Posted Fri 30 Oct 15 @ 8:29 pm
Of course zero latency is not possible.
The interest of the Rz over the Sz is that you can customize the sound color fx and the oscillator... with rekordboxdj.
For shure, it may be hard to do the same with VDJ if it is a hardware upload in the RZ controler. It is not clear today.
Maybe it is only a software replacement of the Fx so Vdj can also replace the hardware one.
For the rest, I'm with you, it's only an interesting color change and some extra buttons...

Regards,

Kaléo.

Posted Fri 30 Oct 15 @ 9:18 pm
Well, I just bought Pioneer DDJ-RZ. Will Receive it this afternoon. What to do now? :0

Posted Tue 24 Nov 15 @ 7:33 am
We are working on a mapper for RZ. If you have some free time to spend and you wish to help us, drop me a PM once you have the unit.

Posted Tue 24 Nov 15 @ 1:56 pm
just got my RZ if i can help... let me know ! :)

AFTER READING ALL THE POSTS ON HERE.. starting to wish i had got an older controller... :( use virtual dj all the time im a DISCO dj.... and cant live without it.. :( ops

Posted Mon 30 Nov 15 @ 6:46 pm
I received mine, I would be happy to help you develop a mapper if you need...

Kaléo.

Posted Mon 04 Jan 16 @ 2:52 pm
need DDJ-RZ Mapper ?

Posted Sun 07 Feb 16 @ 8:59 pm

Posted Mon 08 Feb 16 @ 11:34 pm
Unfortunately the MIDI Communication Protocol is not offering all the necessary features. There is a hidden/locked HID protocol behind the scenes (called as RekordboxDJ mode) which has features like the LEDs on the wheels, Inputs of the sound card etc. A very simple mapping with just buttons, sliders and some basic LEDs is not what users expect, especially since they spent that kind of money, right ?

Posted Tue 09 Feb 16 @ 8:48 am
Why are Pioneer "hiding" this. Is it some sort of closed deal to stop other software being used?

If so then that's just a stupid commercial decision.

Forcing people to use Rekordbox won't work out well for them in the longer term.

Posted Tue 09 Feb 16 @ 9:04 am
Its RecordBoxDJ not Serato ;) and the answer is quite obvious here.. they are trying to "push" their own stuff :)
right or wrong ? Time will show.

Posted Tue 09 Feb 16 @ 9:06 am
Yeah, just edited my post Babis, I realised this after typing it out.

Posted Tue 09 Feb 16 @ 9:07 am
Trying to push their own stuff - but they've just opened up Rekordbox DJ to MIDI mapping....

I guess the deal is, if you want an open controller then buy the SZ. If you plan on using Rekordbox DJ then buy the RZ. That's why there are two products!

Posted Tue 09 Feb 16 @ 6:00 pm
I think people just assume that VDJ will support every controller. I did until recently.

Given the problems with Pioneer and Numark lately this isn't the case any more.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the MCx8000 as it appears to have Numark screens in it!

Posted Tue 09 Feb 16 @ 6:11 pm
Well the MCX8000 is marketed as a standalone media player - so people would (or should) buy it because they want a standalone player.

My logical thinking says that if you plan to use a computer, you could buy any number of other units. Surely you'd buy a product designed for standalone use if you didn't want to use a computer. :-)

I'm deffo going to look it over when it comes out. Late April/May is being mentioned on some retail sites. The thing that interests me most about it however (now I know it only plays from USB on two channels) is the Stage Linq connection. If that's well designed then it could make things a whole lot easier for the DMX phobic.

Posted Tue 09 Feb 16 @ 6:27 pm
I also received a DDJ RZ units, are anxious to see her work with Virtual DJ

Posted Fri 19 Feb 16 @ 8:06 am
69%