Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Release not called for audio only vis under some circumstances

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So a bit of odd scenario for this but happens every time. I tested it with TellyMedia and a basic video plugin with no elaborate interface. While an odd scenario, I am taking a look at the audio only vis thing again to be sure all is good with TM and TV and with VDJ, and we know some odd scenario can point to some other problem. The big problem as I see is with the nature of how audio vis works currently in VDJ,

These are the steps I am taking to reproduce starting fresh.

1) select something as the audio only vis, call it TestVideoEffect
2) select TestVideoEffect for the master
3) select TestVideoEffect on deck 2
4) activate TestVideoEffect on master
5) activate TestVideoEffect on deck 2
6) drop a video file onto deck 1

Since a video was placed on deck 1 TestVideoEffect has been removed from the master and moved to deck 2 because god only knows why :) I know what the intent is but really can't understand why anyone would create something that behaved like that.

When it has been moved like this, release is not called for the one that was in the master. On shut down release is not called for the one that was in the master. Release is called for the one that was on deck 2. So now we have one instance left hanging. This will either crash or should cause a memory leak.

With TM, it has extensive UI and communication components that need to be freed but these are left hanging and a crash will occur. With basic video effect I used, it has nothing to free really and does not crash but it should produce a memory leak.

build 2520 pc

Posted Tue 20 Oct 15 @ 5:54 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Should be fixed in 2522.
It was actually the one originally on the right deck that was not released.
The instance on the master that moved to the right deck got released properly.

Posted Wed 21 Oct 15 @ 11:03 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
So 2522 was pushed, but no release note about this fix.

Posted Wed 21 Oct 15 @ 11:41 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Not every change makes it to the change log. Describing this problem in the change log in a single line probably causes more confusion than being informative.

On top of that it's very unlikely that this bug causes any issues.
First because of the specifics to get there (the same visualisation being selected on both master and deck, active on both at the same time and selected as audio only visualisation)
Second because for most plugins the implication will be very small (only a bit of memory leaked)

Posted Wed 21 Oct 15 @ 11:52 am
With 2520, since my instances are labeled, I was seeing that the master was not freed, but the deck 2 instance was freed and could easily track that but it does not matter. Now with 2522 it behaves as expected which is unexpected behavior :) So it's fixed in this regard and now can dig deeper. The main thing is this kind of stuff still floating around in audio only vis implementation and appears you have jumped thur hoops to make this work that produces an awkward interface with confusion. It should have been a clean simple interface which should have led to a clean implementation.

Posted Wed 21 Oct 15 @ 2:56 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)