Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: I create Custom Covers VDJ 8 Deletes them

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hours and hours of work just wasted! I find and set my Custom covers to the VDJ 8 Tags and they will not stay put. This Is a very bad problem with VDJ 8 Tag's system.
Cover Sizes set to 400x400 They look great when first done, then they again become empty.
I have turned off all of the Tag options, but it is ignored and still downloads what it wants & not what I want to have as my Custom covers.
I direct the Tag to a specified folder and the cover and it is there then the next day or so it is gone. Random covers a whole bunch of it, total garbage going into the covers cache folder.
Jon J.

Posted Thu 15 Oct 15 @ 11:57 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Which file type are the files?
For some files VirtualDJ is able to write the cover inside the tag of the file, for others it will only link the selected image with the song (and the image file has to remain available)

I tried both cases and they seem to work however. Selecting a file for an mp3, I can see the selected file is written in the tag (the first entry in the cover selection)
Even after restarting the tag cover is selected when loading the file to a deck.
Next I selected a cover for a wma. In this case VirtualDJ can't write the cover to the tag, so a selection 'Attached Image' appears in the cover editor.
Again, after restarting and loading the song to the deck, the attached image is shown on the deck however.

When you re-open the files you modified in the tag editor and open the cover editor, is the picture you originally selected not there at all?

Edit: Also which options did you change exactly? I tried again with coverDownload set to no, but still the linked image or the image in the tag is loaded.

Posted Fri 16 Oct 15 @ 11:25 am
Adion the Actual covers are in my Music folders they are all ok and still present. All of my Music is mp3 at 160kb settings. I checked Vdj 8s option settings and I have turned off mainly cover downloads and all Content unlimited options. I have the write to Tag and other Tag options on.

What seems to be happening is after I tell it to select my cover from a file then all is good for a while. Then in a few days or so the covers get lost. Maybe I need to get that software the loads it's covers permanently, Will that make them more permanent? But that will have me do Thousands of files all over again one by one.
Another question is are the auto Beta updates maybe causing this to happen?
Thank You for your help Adion.

Posted Fri 16 Oct 15 @ 3:14 pm
Need an option to completely turn off VirtualDJ \ Cache \ Covers Folder. This folder is not needed when doing Custom Album Covers.
Every Time the Tags option is opened it downloads complete junk into this folder. An option to turn it off or on, for those that need it, could then be turned on.
would be a great asset to the VDJ 8 options.
Jon J.

Posted Fri 16 Oct 15 @ 6:02 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Dunno what will happen, but you could try to set the folder to read only and deny write access.

Posted Fri 16 Oct 15 @ 6:28 pm
Hey PachN that is an excellent idea. Happy that I thought of it! Just joking :) I do not know why I did not do that sooner.
That should work.
Thank You PachN for your help
Jon J.

Posted Fri 16 Oct 15 @ 6:47 pm
I tried your suggestion. I made that folder read only and it did not work.
VDJ 8 is still downloading the Junk into that folder.

Posted Fri 16 Oct 15 @ 6:52 pm
Thank You PachN and Adion that did work as I forgot to set all of the attributes to Deny in my security settings. That worked and it is now shut down and is not allowing Cover Cache to come in. Maybe that will help in keeping my Custom Covers in place and not allow VDJ 8 to try and install the erroneous covers.
That is why I never really get to upset as you are always there to help.
My much Gratitude for all of you.
Jon J.

Posted Fri 16 Oct 15 @ 8:53 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Glad that you found a solution.

Posted Sat 17 Oct 15 @ 9:14 am
I don't think the cache folder has much to do with custom covers disappearing though.
Covers stored in the tag, or covers explicitly linked to the song always have priority over downloaded covers.

Posted Sat 17 Oct 15 @ 11:44 am
I think that it is Microsoft that is causing a lot of the issues. For an example I can find the main Music folder when I unhide the operating system files. Then all of the Album Cover Folders seem to be hidden with unchangeable attributes, so what I do is copy that hidden folder and edit it and resize it to 400x400 then create a new one with a name called Folder, then force it back to it's folder and overwrite the hidden one and I delete the system cache icon and it works for a bit, until I turn on the internet then Microsoft persist to overwrite it again and change it back to the 200x200 size and re-hides it. That is why VDJ 8 can not find it as Microsoft screws with it.
So what I did to beat them at their own game, is to make a copy of the hidden folder cover and name it something else and tell VDJ 8 to use that one instead of the main folder cover, hidden cover. and that seems to keep them in place. I have come to the conclusion that it is not VDJ 8 that has the problem, it is the OS that will not leave things the way I set them.
Thank You very much for your kind support.
Jon J.

Posted Sat 17 Oct 15 @ 10:58 pm
It's indeed not a very good idea to try to link to files the operating system controls.
I'm not sure why do that in the first place though. Do you get the covers using windows media player?

Posted Sun 18 Oct 15 @ 5:13 am
Yes Adion Windows Media player displays all of them perfectly. Never had any issues with the default Media Player. It usually finds all of the Music info when I load my original Music CDs into my Laptop. I rip them at Mp3 160kbs, Window Media always seems to load the Covers without error. All of my Music is Legal and store purchased. I stay away from anything that is free from the internet to avoid Viruses and Malware.
Now that I have denied access to the cover's Cache folder my covers are staying in place. I think that VDJ 8 may have been finding other covers and was overwriting my Custom covers. Then when I deleted my Cover Cache folder contents, that made them become missing.
I finally think that it is working ok, Thanks to your ideas and help.
Jon J.

Posted Sun 18 Oct 15 @ 5:59 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)