Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: VDJ 8 won't release CDJ2000nexus player for CD / USB next track without stopping all VDJ decks

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am trying to use a flexible configuration to allow CD's and external USB files with VDJ 8 but it keeps failing. The rig I use has 2 x CDJ2000NXS configured as VDJ Deck1 & 2 midi controllers and DJM900NXS as USB sound card. My issue is that during live play out VDJ8 won't release either of the CDJ2000NXS to switch to CD or USB sound file for next track play. So if there is something not in PC library you have to stop all decks on VDJ8 to play a track native on the CDJ2000nxs !!! My on the fly work around has been to disconnect midi cable to CDJ2000nxs and use mouse to start decks on VDJ8. Not ideal for mixing !!
Is there a solution to this? or should I just use Pioneers Rekord box instead?
Phil

Posted Sun 27 Sep 15 @ 7:54 am
This is quite a common issue. It's because the hardware can't be two things at once. Either it plays or it controls (master or slave).

Posted Sun 27 Sep 15 @ 9:05 am
First of all for audio you can use the sound card of DJM900NXS. Then in order to play from a USB you need to disconnect the MIDI of the CDJ-2000NXS by using it's own buttons and firmware. It's impossible for VirtualDj to know if the CDJ is playing a USB or not. So, as long as the unit is connected via MIDI on your computer, VirtualDj will use it.
I believe there's an option to disconnect MIDI when switching from PC to USB on the 2000NXS so look at the utilities menu of CDJ2000NXS

Posted Sun 27 Sep 15 @ 9:53 am
Thanks for your comment. Firstly can I say how well the various verdions of VDJ have performed for me in the past. Please can you confirm my understanding of your message that there is a limitation in either the player firmware or the VDJ 8 software control which means i cant use it in this way? By Physically unplugging the USB link from the CDJ controlling Deck 1 it does not stop the music playing out from Deck2. That releases Deck 1s Harware controller to play a CD. Onthe otherhand VDJs Deck 1 can still be started by PC hot key or mouse so there are two means of control running in parallel, the PC and the Midi. Logically it must then be feasible to allow the midi controller to disconnect and reconnect to the hardware on the fly, solving my problem. But I guess from your reply that if I want to mix hardware and software i need to either have two extra CD players or a separate midi controller for VDJ.8 if as you say this us a common issue surely it must be advantageous to create a switching solution in your software! Or is it up to the harware guys to do it?

Posted Sun 27 Sep 15 @ 10:17 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)