Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Video Problems with VDJ 7, Video Card Driver Possibly!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Background: Running VDJ7 (not the latest version) on an HP laptop with AMD video and 4GB dedicated RAM. Bought in 2010 to replace a Vista machine that did not want to play nice with DN-S3700s. Laptop was wiped clean and OS and drivers reinstalled. Everything was optimized to work and then the wi-fi was turned off. This laptop has never been on the internet since, no windows update, no drivers update, no VDJ updates. No additional software installed other than ASIO drives and MDIS for the external HD. It has worked flawlessly without a single hiccup or crash until recently.

I was doing a wedding and suddenly VDJ froze, music kept playing but then there was a small hiccup in sound and the screen when dark for a second. Everything went back on and music kept playing. I though it could be the External HD going to sleep or something so I disconnected that. Next event about a week later, same thing happened but this time I had no external HD. So I changed the USB cables that go from the controllers to the laptop. The next event I had no hiccups. Then it started again. I noticed that there were more hiccups on outside events than on inside (A/C) ones plus the laptop seemed to feel hotter than before. So I got a cooling pad to put underneath the laptop. Laptop runs a lot more cooler but I still get the hiccups. Sometimes every 10-15 minutes, other times between 1-2 hrs.

The event log in the laptop shows that the Display driver stopped working but recovered. Yesterday I left the laptop on from 3pm with no issues during soundcheck. As soon as I was loading the first songs to mix I got the first hiccup (8:37pm) with one after about 20 minutes and two more at 10:06 and 10:42pm.

Has anyone ever seen this problem? Could the video card be fried? Could something external be causing this?

Posted Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 10:22 pm
i doubt its related to the drivers ... they don't suddenly develop a problem if they have worked for years and haven't changed

i would look for a physical problem .. bad cables like u tried .. improper cooling ... clogged vents etc... install a utility like speedfan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) so u check the temperature while its in use.

good luck might be a hard one to sort out.

Posted Fri 18 Sep 15 @ 1:16 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Maybe just clean your fans of the laptop.
After this amount of time chances are that there is a lot of dust on them and the cooling functionality is affected causing a temporary shutdown of hardware components (such as the video card) to prevent more damage.

Posted Fri 18 Sep 15 @ 10:28 am
Thanks! Will try both suggestions.

Posted Fri 18 Sep 15 @ 3:17 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)