Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: all i want is to hear music through my headphones PLEASE help

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

davemk4Home userMember since 2015
hi. ive spent 2 days looking into this and im ready to smash my laptop and headphones across the room. bought a numark mixtrack 3 simple dj deck system. running through a HP laptop. all im trying to do is something so so simple. i want to listen to what im doing through my head phones by the simple jack port on the laptop. now all im coming across is usb sound cards, listening to sound and speakers at same time. how can i get this set up so sound just plays through my head set. ive got a usb sound card on way. but for now how do i get it to work. the head phones work fine on laptop etc but just will not play on virtual dj even after altering settings etc on the config page. thanks

Posted Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 6:17 pm
You won't be able to have sound on your headphones and your laptop's speakers at once before you get that USB sound card you're waiting for.
The reason is that your laptop's speakers and your headphones connector on the laptop are in fact the SAME audio channels.

When you get the USB soundcard then you should plug your headphones on it and create a "Master+Headphones" audio setup.
"Master" will be your laptop's built-in soundcard and "Headphones" will be your USB soundcard.

Posted Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 6:30 pm
yer thats fine. but how for now can i get just sound into my head phones not fussed about laptop sound at all. all i want for now is all the spound to come into headphones. some reason it worked last night for a hour and now it wont work again. thanks for the speedy reply :)

Posted Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 6:32 pm
hi dave, have you got it sorted now?
if not:
try going to options ... audio... select speaker only and then your laptop soundcard. You won't get the pfl/headphones functions etc etc etc. but you should be able to hear your music thru your headphones when you plug them in.

Posted Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 9:02 pm
Nope still not working. The headphones are plugged into the normal laptop jack socket. On the settings i have selected source as speaker only then internal sound card then on the hardware section. It says master then my sound card then says ports 1+2 ive tried different ports and chsnging source to headphones etc whats annoying is some how it worked other night for a hour now it wont again.

Posted Fri 18 Sep 15 @ 5:37 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I'm sure you checked that the Master and Deck faders on the VDJ skin are all up?

Posted Fri 18 Sep 15 @ 10:34 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Hi dave the best way to solve these problems is to show us a screenshot of you audio config, and a simple list of your gear.

Posted Fri 18 Sep 15 @ 9:08 pm
shoot me now............... my master gain was on minimum :( its official im a newbie now. it works. but for the sound to be split properly ive ordered the usb sound card so i can pplay through speakers and mix with headphones as you should. complete newbie to this! i actually have a full Traktor dj program but some reason my mixtrack 3 numark deck doesnt work only works with VD. rather annoying as paid for traktor all ready :(

Posted Fri 18 Sep 15 @ 9:40 pm
I have a dj y splitter that splits audio to headphones and one to main speakers. It works fine- Everyone keeps telling me I need a DJ soundcard- I realize it has 2 outputs (one for headphones-1 for speakers) but my Y splitter does that already. so - please tell me why and what are the advantages> And if still needed best budget models please. TIA

Posted Sun 27 Mar 16 @ 2:12 am
The splitter will only provide a MONO signal to your speakers and your headphones.

This is how it works. Your computer has one main stereo output (left and right channels).

The splitter takes one side (i.e. left) of the stereo signal and feeds it to your headphones in mono. It takes the other side (i.e. right) and feeds it to your speakers in mono.

VDJ routes the audio so that the master output (in mono) goes to one side, and the cue signal (in mono) goes to the other.

Using a pro DJ audio interface will not only give you two stereo outputs, but will also have better quality and latency than a standard consumer interface.

Check out the Numark DJIO and the Traktor Audio 2.

Posted Sun 27 Mar 16 @ 10:01 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)