Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Quick question NI traktor kontrol s4 mk1 natively supported

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I'm about to look at s4 mk 1 at a very reasonable price, but I don't see it as supported HW will it just P&P/ (will v8 pick it up as a mk 2?) or do I have to test it with V7 with the user uploaded mapper.

Posted Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 4:37 pm
S4 MK1 will NEVER be supported. It uses a proprietary communication protocol.
Mapping via MIDI is possible but the jogs response is terrible.

Posted Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 6:07 pm
Please elaborate on this proprietary protocol because it looks like I've just bought a challenge (at a still very reasonable price)

HiD or so I've read, is there anything your good self or Babis can share as a pointer, VID PID, page count, size etc?

Posted Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 11:58 pm
S4 MK1 is NOT HID. The communication protocol "looks like" HID, but it's not.
Even if you manage to analyze the data (we have done most of that part already) VirtualDj cannot understand it because VirtualDj understands only HID and MIDI.
It would need to implement a lot of code in VirtualDj itself to support this protocol (if we were able to completely analyze it) and of course then it would need to be tested and maintained through builds e.t.c.
This proprietary protocol is only used by two devices: X1 (MK1) and S4 (MK1)
X1 can sufficiently be mapped with MIDI and it's already supported. This leaves only S4 (MK1) as an unsupported unit. So, the time and manpower required to support this protocol is not justified by one single unit, which by the way is quite old now.
All the rest "newer" NI controllers use HID. We have supported all devices that we had access to. We still want to provide support for S2 (MK1, as MK2 is already supported), S6, S8 and D2 and we plan to do so as soon as we can get them on our hands.
If you wish to use an S4 (MK1) with VirtualDj then you need to define and map it in MIDI. It WILL work. However the jogs will work sufficient enough only for pitch/cue-ing reasons. Trying to scratch with the S4 jogs in MIDI mode will be a terrible experience and that's because the jogs have very low resolution when the device gets switched to MIDI.

Posted Fri 18 Sep 15 @ 9:48 am
Thanks for the info, an old unit it maybe but did I mention I got it at a very reasonable price? XD And a terrible scratching experience is relative, way back when, I learnt on 2 Kam belts.

This midi mapper I have needs ripping apart but I can get my monies worth out of this.

Posted Fri 18 Sep 15 @ 10:41 am
All the info you need to define the unit in MIDI is present on NI's Controller Editor software.
If you open it and select S4, you'll be able to see all the MIDI codes for all buttons, faders, LEDs e.t.c. that the unit supports.
So there's no need to rip something else appart.
Just start from scratch. Also all the info you may need on how to define the elements is present on WiKi: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/ControllerDefinitionMIDIv8.html

Posted Fri 18 Sep 15 @ 10:52 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)