Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Analogue (phono signal) to spdif

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I've scored a audio interface for next to nothing, (yep I'm cheap) a problem is it only has 2 analogue inputs (boo!) but there is the spdif in.

any recommendations for a converter? Am i right in thinking this will work for TC? and further thinking it doesn't have to be all that good if it's only dealing with a TC signal.
pre-amping I'd like to avoid but they only cost a few quid so, please give me your thoughts as I haven't much of a clue just yet.

m-audio 410

Posted Thu 20 Aug 15 @ 8:17 pm
You will need to get your hands on an ADC. If you want to avoid pre-amp you will need to find an ADC that has one built in, because almost most ADC accept line-level signal.
You should not worry about the quality of the signal since the usage of the ADC is mandatory.

PS: If you try to connect a TT on a "line-level" ADC don't expect it to work!

Posted Fri 21 Aug 15 @ 8:10 am
Cool, thanks for the info, my pile of gear is coming together quite nicely.

Posted Fri 21 Aug 15 @ 10:01 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
A phono pre-amp with spdif output would be your best option.
Alternatively, it also seems that there are now phono pre-amps with usb connection, that would also be an option, as it is not necessary that all the inputs are on the same audio interface.

Edit: The cheapest solution may be something like this:
http://www.dx.com/p/5-1-channel-usb-sound-card-adapter-black-59039
Although the mic amplifier in most cheap interfaces is done in software, so noise levels may still be quite high, there's a chance that it's good enough for timecode at home if you use needles with a loud output.

Posted Wed 26 Aug 15 @ 8:54 am
m44-7's so I've got loud covered, thanks for that info.

pre-amp with spdif out sounds like the elegant option, i'll have a dig, let's see what elegance costs.

Posted Wed 26 Aug 15 @ 11:17 pm
locodog wrote :
let's see what elegance costs.

Well there's the Burmester 100 at around £11,000 for the base model, or if bargains are your thing - the Leema Agena - only £4000. :-)

Posted Sat 29 Aug 15 @ 7:27 pm
I'll buy both with the cash from my next gig XD

Posted Wed 02 Sep 15 @ 6:26 am
You are David Guetta and I claim my £5 :-)

Posted Wed 02 Sep 15 @ 4:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)