Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: VirtualDJ bug: Searching hangs if filedate is showed.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello

As I told you more than a month ago if filedate is showed searching hangs. There is a way to solve... hide filedate and shorting by name after searching is hanged but sometimes it does not work so it is very anoying. I have had to reset software in a show because I can not browse inside Virtual DJ I know that filedate is not in the database and have to be readed directly to the files and my NAS can make things worse but it shouldn't hang the browsing. It is very anoying. Nothing has been done to solve it.

Please solve it

Best regards
Manu

Posted Thu 20 Aug 15 @ 8:11 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Just leave filedate disabled.

Every single file has to be interrogated for its date and this takes time, especially over a slower connection like a NAS. The larger the result set, the larger the problem.

Think about it for a minute; you search and potentially get thousands of results from across your library. Each of these results needs interrogating for its filedate. Coupled with the slower throughput of a network connection, protocol overheads etc you will likely experience issues. Even if your NAS is gigabit connected, you won't get anywhere near that for actual throughput.

Posted Thu 20 Aug 15 @ 8:18 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Clearly must be your NAS connection.
I have around 65000 files in my database and if I search for sth. it is instant.
If I search for * and sort after filedate it takes around 2 - 3 seconds to sort the list. Not bad.

Posted Thu 20 Aug 15 @ 8:58 am
I totally agree with you in the problems that could happen... but to solve it.. why don't you add it to the database? I do not think that database is not going to grow so much and I think that if you allow some thing inside your software you should assure that it should work fine in all the circunstances.
If you have size problems in database think that the "first time seen" (do not know exact english name) parameter is useless because it assumes that you only are going to install your software one time and the database is not going to corrupt never... This is not the reallity, database corruption could happen and all this information could be lost... And some times we need to change computer or reinstalling your software. Who uses "first time seen" ?¿?¿

For some of us is useful to know when was the file downloaded because some times we can not remember the song title for example.

I would be great that some information in the software like plugs-in configurations mappers and some information of the data base like history could be in a internet cloud to recover it if the computer broke or if it is needed to change the computer and do not want to lose time configuring all the software options.

Bests!

Posted Thu 20 Aug 15 @ 9:19 am
If it is in the database it does not update any longer - so it is no longer the real filedate. Makes no sence to me.

Posted Fri 21 Aug 15 @ 4:57 am
Maybe it could update when a song loads... Think that it happen too if you edit some file or id3 tag with other software... You are not going to have it updated.

It will be better for the software to know if a file has been changed looking its filedate. If different something has happened and have to update.

But if you do not want to change anything I think that you have to add in general some more protecction when the software is working with slower locations. Don't forget that there is some audio/video drops sometimes when next song is loaded in automix. (Not tested in the latest version but you do not say anything in the changelog)
In the case of searching and shorting by filedate I think that it could be improved if first in the searching it will be shown the files without shorting and after it the software tries to read filedate information with a low priority process and when you have all you change the order. Now it seems to wait to have all files read until all information is collected. Seem that if you serch after start running it does not fail. It usually fails more when it have hours of using.

Cheers!

Posted Tue 25 Aug 15 @ 8:02 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)