Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Settings or return??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PirahnaControlleristMember since 2008
Hey guys, new to the community, and the hobby actually lol, but was wondering if you could assist me with something. I just bought an American Audio VMS 4.1 controller, running on VDJ7 Pro ... not my first controller but my first 4 channel :D. The manual provided is "basic" in its instructions to say the least, finding more detailed information here on this forum from a sticky'd post regarding this particular unit ... followed the instructions from best I can tell. Here's the problem, decks 3 and 4, cross fader doesnt work and the cue for the headphones I cant seam to get the cue to be solely just the cue with out any master, an even then the master is way over powering the cue.

I installed the Asio drivers, I use the VMS 4 deck pro skin, i7cpu @3.4Ghz with 24Gb corsair vengeance ddr3 ram. As far as my config ....

I noticed somewhere someone said master and headphones dont get assigned, so i tried that and really the only way Im able to obtain any sound in headphones, but being master, is with this configuration.

Now, I called up the American Audio tech support, an while they were very friendly an spent a good ammount of time on the phone with me, he just couldnt tell me why I couldnt get sound only in cue with no master to headphones, but said that with the vms 4.1 the 3 n 4 decks are ... I forget the word he used exactly, but basically saying that this deck doesn't xfade 3n4 decks natively?

So the real question comes down too, is it in the settings, or should I be boxing this unit back up and exchanging it?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys might be able to lend on this, Ive been trying to figure this out since Friday night, <Monday now lol

Posted Mon 03 Aug 15 @ 9:24 pm
Still unresolved, despite best efforts with trying to research out the answers ... Been checking here every day in hopes someone had chimed in with some sort of recommendation or idea of what to try... But nothing? Anyone at all?

I'm running out of time to be able to return the unit, would hate to return it if it's just a matter of settings, waiting 3/days there n 3 days back ( bought on internet ), but would hate to not return it if it is defective. Anyone?

Posted Fri 07 Aug 15 @ 3:06 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
It's been a while since I had a VMS4.1 unit and used v7.
But, and that is for sure, I never had a seperate headphone chanel like you in the sound config.
The rest of VDJ soundconfig seems to be Ok.

Could you please take a screenshot of you VMS Asio Control Panel and post it here?
And make sure you set the VMS to 8out mode.

To use the crossfader, you need to assign the chanels you want to control with the crossfader assign buttons at the front the VMS.

Posted Fri 07 Aug 15 @ 3:13 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
FYI, VirtualDJ can assign more than 1 deck at each side of the crossfader.
However, the VMS4/4.1 can have ONLY 1 deck at each side of the crossfader, and those are set by the front switchers CFA and CFB

Headphones routing is done by hardware as well. So dont use or judge from what the skin shows. Use the CUE buttons on the VMS4 to route any mixer channel to the Headphones
and of course remove the 5th line from your Audio configuration.

Posted Sat 08 Aug 15 @ 6:17 am
]Thank you for helping out guys :), this is how the I have the ASIO configured, but I thought with that particular set up Id only have 2 decks per channel , tried it an just seamed off ... IDK, could be the way I had it set up, Im sure you guys know better then I :). Weird thing is, the next day, late at night, dont you know the mixer decided to start acting right :) ... sorta? I got the headphones with the cue worked out, and not quite sure how, but the 3 an 4 decks cross fade issue is also gone ... but seams to be very sluggish in its response ... meaning the volume on deck 3 wont begin to cut down till almost 90% of the way over to deck 4, and vise versa. Thinking upgrading the xfader?? heard innovader ... or sometihng ... but im sure thats $$$$$, any other recommendations? Just one quick question, I just bought 2-rockville dual 12" sub towers with a rockville 3,000 watt amplifier, along with xables recommended for those units, friend of mines saying one set from mixer to towers, one set from amp to towers?? Just sounds off from what I know of electronics, Id think mixer feeds into the amp which feeds the speakers ..?

Again, thanks for the helping out on this :D

Posted Wed 12 Aug 15 @ 9:19 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Pirahna wrote :
I got the headphones with the cue worked out, and not quite sure how, but the 3 an 4 decks cross fade issue is also gone ... but seams to be very sluggish in its response ... meaning the volume on deck 3 wont begin to cut down till almost 90% of the way over to deck 4, and vise versa.

You can set the crossfader curve at the front of the VMS too.

Posted Fri 14 Aug 15 @ 3:33 pm
Pirahna wrote :
one set from mixer to towers, one set from amp to towers?? Just sounds off

You're correct - it is off! Just go from mixer output to amp input (line level XLR cables) then from amp output to passive speakers (with speaker cable).

Posted Fri 14 Aug 15 @ 5:56 pm
hey guys, sorry for late reply, decided to make the switch to VDJ8, went with the infinity plan, primarily because I found out that the VMS4.1 is not FULLY supported/mapped by VDJ and to enable to have this, I would either A: need to buy the controller mapper and definitions file or B: buy a membership which has a lot more benefits then just buying the mapper and definitions file.

ANY-who, after installing VD8 and going with the infinity plan, my controller is working fine ... cue working just by the cue knob, not having to press any cue buttons, #3 &4 decks cross faded fine, so I got that cross-fade to work gradually rather then just abruptly ( thanks to you guys for pointing out the curve knob on front :) ), and the bleeding of the pre-listening isnt bleeding into other channels anymore either. :D

Just wanted to stop in an thank you guys for your help :)

ps,
I thought that wiring order seamed off lol, glad I havent lost my common sense at least lol, thanks :D

Posted Sun 16 Aug 15 @ 7:56 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)