Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Thinkpad T420, dual video cards, Video "stutter" on some HD content files

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have Video "stuttering" while viewing some HD files.
My system is a Thinkpad T420, Win7-64pro, with dual graphics - Intel HD 3000 and NVIDIA NVS 4200M.

The system works fine playing the same content via VirtualDJ v7.4.6.
The system works fine using the specific 8.0.2048.868 version of VirtualDJ.
All future updates beyond v8.0.2048.868 have exhibited video stutter on certain HD content files.

I have tried updating the BIOS, updating the video driver(s), downgrading the video drivers, changing power settings, reinstalling the program, reinstalling windows, registry tweaks, BIOS settings, choosing run with specific graphics processor, nVidia control panel manage 3d program settings feature tweaks, lav and other codecs, and more.

This same symptom occurs on a different computer system (having the same hardware specs, but another separate different T420 laptop).

VDJ's options/video/videodriver setting does indicate it sees and is suppose to be using the NVIDIA NVS 4200M.
It seems as if versions that I've tried after 8.0.2048.868 are defaulting to using the HD 3000.

Did something change that would affect a dual card system after v8.0.2048.868?

The stutter is still occurring for me as of VirtualDJ v8.2362.1034.
if i revert back to 8.0.2048.868 everything's good again.

I'd appreciate any further suggestions on getting these files to play correctly on a recent release of VirtualDJ.

Posted Tue 28 Jul 15 @ 8:46 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I had a few things that I have found, mostly while I was trying to fix Serato video. But all good spots to check.

1. Plug the computer and external monitor in Before starting the laptop - seriously, this was most of my problem.
2. Under NVIDIA control panel, set VDJ 8 to use the NVIDIA card
Possibly try enabeling V-Sync under the NVIDIA control panel, VDJ settings
3. I saw something about making your VDJ FPS match your monitor. So try 60 FPS
4. Look up "disable core parking" - more for CPU based codecs though, like Quicktime, less for VDJ
5. Put your TV in "Game mode", this removes all the buffering, process time and because of that the voices line up better
6. I read about some people having issues with you TV showing up as an HDMI sound card. Disabling that HDMI sound card was supposed to help
7. I heard of disabling the "Windows Media Network Sharing" windows service may help.

Good luck

Posted Tue 28 Jul 15 @ 8:49 pm
Thanks DHoude, I appreciate the reply.
I tried everything you listed, and some more, - No success .... yet.

1. I tried connecting an external display before boot.
The video stutter happens during playback whether an external display is connected first, or not connected at all.

2. NVIDIA Control Panel ("Manage 3D Settings") for VDJ8 is set to use NVIDIA card.
V-Sync had no apparent affect.

3. It happens at every frame rate I've tried.
24, 25, 30, 50, 60, 120.

4. The "disable core parking" was an interesting lead. Very Interesting read.
I tried it - but it did not correct this video stutter symptom for me using VDJ versions post v2048.

5. I connected to an external monitor in 'game mode'. No luck.
Video stutter occurs on the laptops local LCD -and-or- any externally connected display (HDMI, VGA).

6. Disabling the output of HDMI audio had no affect.
(other than no external audio via HDMI connected display, of course)

7. Disabling of Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service did not help either.

Again, I appreciate the suggestions.

I'm just not sure what would have changed after VirtualDJ v8.0.2048.868 to affect my dual card system.
Certain files I play on versions of VirtualDJ after 8.0.2048.868 have this video "stutter".

When I revert to VirtualDJ v8.0.2048.868 (or I use 7.4.6) - these same files play fine.

Posted Mon 03 Aug 15 @ 9:46 pm
Are you talking about 2048, that was released in 2014? Why wait so long to report this? I'm also bumping this up so it doesn't get lost. What's the latest version that you have tried?

Posted Thu 06 Aug 15 @ 12:01 am
Yes, I was talking about 2048, from 2014.

I "waited so long" for more reasons than I can list.
I am only a hobbyist, and for the most part I do not update much at all once something is working well.
I had only installed version 8, the 2048 release, around December of last year - as up to that point the v7.4 release branch was fine for my needs.
A few weeks ago, I decided to try a newer release and when it didn't work, I first assumed it was a setting on my system.
After trying every suggestion I could find over the course of a few months and still not being able to isolate the cause, I reached out to support and they pointed me here.
I had hoped it was an easy fix, or that someone else had a T420 or similar and knew of corrective action.

The latest version I have tried is 2378.1043.

I stand corrected on an explicit version from which the symptom begins to exhibit issues on my system.

version (8) 2126.0904 works fine.
version (8) 2135.917 has video stutter.

I believe I have tested each of the 36 releases since 2135.917, and each one exhibits the stutter symptom on my dual video card system
(actually on two separate Thinkpad T420 dual video card systems)

Since my original post, I've tried DHoude's suggestions.
I've upgraded to 8GB of highest-available-speed lowest-latency performance RAM.
I've tried disabling just about every device in the device manger.

I really appreciate you, and anyone else, taking a look at this thread and offering feedback.
Perhaps the more explicit versioning identification will allow some further troubleshooting ideas.
I see the patch notes for 2135 mention "Improved video de-interlacing", and "Support for older capture (directshow) capture devices".
Maybe these offer additional insight as to my issue?

For now I remain at v8.2126.0904 (or v7.4.6).

Posted Thu 06 Aug 15 @ 2:12 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Two things you could try if you're trying 2378:
-Set DXVA to yes. This will enable hardware accelerated decoding of video, so possibly help prevent any stutter.
-Set videoForceFullscreen to -1. (Requires restart) This is a bit experimental, it separates the skin and video DirectX instances, which may or may not help. It can be useful to try. If you want to go back to using an older version it's probably best to put it back to 0 before.

I'll check the changes between the 2 builds you mentioned to see if I can find anything in particular that may have started causing stutters as well.

Posted Fri 07 Aug 15 @ 6:35 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)