Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Gain / Levels with Oninit

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have created a ine in my VDJ skin that will automatically set the Gain, Hi, Mid, and Bass to 50%
However, VDJ ignores the ONINIT actions when my controller is plugged in (When application starts up for the first time). It sets the knobs to what ever they are set on the controller.

If I open the skin while the VDJ application already running and a controller plugged in, the ONINIT actions will work from re-initializing the skin from within the interface section of the settings.

I'm not sure why I can not get the actions to work when I start VDJ application with a controller plugged in.

Posted Mon 13 Jul 15 @ 2:36 pm
Because the controller will take the levels from the physical knobs. You can add an oninit to the controller mapping which should override that.

Posted Mon 13 Jul 15 @ 4:02 pm
I'm not sure adding an ONINIT. command to a controller will work.

Djdad will know more but I believe controllers that are able to send the knob/fader positions back to the software will always default to those settings. In my mind that's the only logical thing to do. Otherwise you will always think you faders etc are not working correctly because they will only function when they pick up the onscreen ones.

Posted Mon 13 Jul 15 @ 4:10 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Gain, Mid, High etc are set to 50% by default, so its meaningless to add this to a skin, since they will be set that way anyways,

For controllers that report the position of their faders on initialize, i am afraid there is no solution to what you are after, even if you add any actions to the ONINIT key of the controller.
Even though i find this not much useful to have (un-linked faders), you could still map a keyboard shortcut with these actions and press that once the controller is connected.

Posted Mon 13 Jul 15 @ 7:22 pm
Actually, even though they are suppose to report at 50%.... they never do. it's like 49.4% or 50.9% It's never exact. And, it's not just one controller, it's several. That's why I wanted it to'start' with 50%. I eventually wind up turning the knobs anyway, but wanted a good starting position when the program starts. Also, we always know where the physical fader is by the graphic ghosting.

Yes, I tried putting the command in both controller and skin. Controller always takes priority. I was just hoping there was a way to give that priority to the skin xml

Posted Mon 13 Jul 15 @ 8:14 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
JameySewell wrote :
Actually, even though they are suppose to report at 50%....

They will, if no controller is connected.

Anyways, i think you are on the wrong path. Actually i would be worried if the position of the faders of the software would not follow the faders of my controller. You should worry less for what you see on the screen and more for what you see on your controller.
Think as if you had a "real" hardware mixer. You would double-check all of your faders prior starting mixing , right ?

As for the "accuracy", some controllers offer a specific value when in middle and this is added in the definition, but some dont, meaning that if you pass from the middle position several times, you will get different values. Thats not our fault, but still i wouldnt care much either. If the EQ is at 49% or 51%, it makes no big difference of course ;)

Bottom line, the answer to your original question :
The ONINIT actions of the skin will be bypassed if a controller is connected which reports the position of their faders.

For whatever issue you have about controllers, i think you should post in some other Forum and not here.

Posted Tue 14 Jul 15 @ 6:01 am
djdad wrote :
JameySewell wrote :

As for the "accuracy", some controllers offer a specific value when in middle and this is added in the definition, but some dont, meaning that if you pass from the middle position several times, you will get different values. Thats not our fault, but still i wouldnt care much either. If the EQ is at 49% or 51%, it makes no big difference of course ;)

You make total sense in your statement... and I agree this isn't the fault of VDJ. and perhaps I will post on other forums.

However... I don't think I explained the problem clearly. It doesn't bother me to much of what's on screen... It's the fact when you have controllers with a divot at 50% built in the potentiometer and the controllers sends more or less then 50%. Your somewhat right at which it should not make too much of a difference in sound. The problem is, for what ever reason, I can hear the difference when it's not exactly 50%.

So yes, even though I check the physical mixer before a show... the controller still sends something different. This is apparently a hardware issue. I was just looking for fix via skin because it's not just a single controller issue. Fixing the "Onin" values in my skin would have solved the problem for other controllers as well. But, I understand if it can not be done ;-)

Thank you for reading

Posted Wed 15 Jul 15 @ 10:45 am
JameySewell wrote :
djdad wrote :
JameySewell wrote :

You make total sense in your statement... and I agree this isn't the fault of VDJ. and perhaps I will post on other forums.

However... I don't think I explained the problem clearly. It doesn't bother me to much of what's on screen... It's the fact when you have controllers with a divot at 50% built in the potentiometer and the controllers sends more or less then 50%. You are never able to achieve 50% because of the divot. Your somewhat right at which it should not make too much of a difference in sound. The problem is, for what ever reason, I can hear the difference when it's not exactly 50%.

So yes, even though I check the physical mixer before a show... the controller still sends something different. This is apparently a hardware issue. I was just looking for fix via skin because it's not just a single controller issue. Fixing the "Onin" values in my skin would have solved the problem for other controllers as well. But, I understand if it can not be done ;-)

Thank you for reading

Posted Wed 15 Jul 15 @ 10:46 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)