Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: can't get control of the sync with virtual dj 8 connected to a DDJ SX

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I must be missing something here but the sync button on the DDJ SX will not turn the sync off when holding down shift and hitting the sync button. It's very straightforward in Serato Dj. Sync to turn it on. Shift + Sync to turn it off. Regardless of settings or anything else anywhere, if I hit that shift + sync, that turns the damn sync OFF. I like VDJ8 and might consider switching but this is a deal killer.

I've looked at everything and tried changing mappings, looked at stuff like beatlock and every other setting I could find and still can't get the sync in the software to turn off when hitting shift & sync on the DDJ SX.

Posted Sat 11 Jul 15 @ 2:52 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Go to config - controllers, search for the SHIFT_SYNC Key and change the action from "masterdeck" to "smart_play".
Now you can toggle if the deck starts playing synced or not.

Also make sure you have the option "autoBPMMatch" set to "no"

Posted Sun 12 Jul 15 @ 7:15 am
Did both of those and it still doesn't do what I'm talking about. Here's a more accurate description of the situation.

1) I load a track on deck 1. It's 115 bpm.
2) I load a track on deck 2. It's 112 bpm.
3) I hit sync on deck 2 and it aligns it up to 115.
4) The problem is two fold:
a. If I move either slider up or down, it doesn't move both decks at the same time
b. If I move the slider on deck 2, I have to move it above or below a certain point before I regain control of the tempo for deck 2.

The suggestion about the shift_sync helped but it's not quite there yet. In my opinion, you need the smart sync capability of Serato Dj. That setup is perfect for the DDj-SX, If the sync is light, it's perfectly in line with the other deck, hit shift + sync and the sync is definitely off (immediately) and the deck can do whatever.

I might be able to get used to how VDJ8 handles sync but it's not ideal.

Posted Sun 12 Jul 15 @ 12:24 pm
DjSmoothOrl wrote :

a. If I move either slider up or down, it doesn't move both decks at the same time

That's not sync. In VDJ, sync sets the BPM of one deck to match the other. What you're referring to is called pitch lock (please see the VDJ User's Guide).

Posted Sun 12 Jul 15 @ 12:31 pm
I'll have to try that out. I'm still not sure what I make of the software. I wish I could take parts of Serato and parts of VDJ and put 'em together in a custom software. They each are missing features that the other one has or does better.

Posted Sun 12 Jul 15 @ 5:13 pm
You can post your requests for those missing features in the "wishes" forum here.

With VDJ 8 being relatively new, some requests are being implemented within days.

Posted Mon 13 Jul 15 @ 2:53 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
DjSmoothOrl wrote :
b. If I move the slider on deck 2, I have to move it above or below a certain point before I regain control of the tempo for deck 2.

You can change that with the option "controllerTakeoverMode".

Set it to "instant" or "gradual".

Posted Mon 13 Jul 15 @ 4:21 am
thanks for the tip.

that might cut the number of issues I see down to just the initial grid when the file was analyzed. it would appear the VDJ8 has just as much trouble detecting the drums in a track as Serato. I spot checked many of the tracks after VDJ8 analyzed them and every one had the wrong marker set for the actual first downbeat of the song.

Posted Mon 13 Jul 15 @ 6:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)