Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Moving VDJ and your Customized Options to Another PC when using Different Drive Paths

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I thought it may be helpful to share the process I used to move my VDJ (7.x) system from my old Vista laptop to my new Windows 8.1 laptop. What made this transfer unusual was that:
• The drive letters/paths to my music library were different between the two laptops (which I couldn’t avoid).
• I had accumulated four different VDJ Database XML files over the years on my old PC caused by various upgrades of VDJ (starting from v5.x) and using several external drives to hold some of my music files.
• I didn’t have the opportunity to identify all options/customizations in VDJ on the old PC first (see step 1) because my old PC had a catastrophic failure unexpectedly. However, I was able to recover all my music files and my Virtual DJ folder from the old hard drives. The later proved extremely helpful in rebuilding my options/customizations in VDJ on the new PC, but it did involve some additional work and learning new skills in editing VDJ files (see steps 10 and 11).

Here’s how to move VDJ and all of your customizations from one PC to another (with or without “having a gun to your head”) when you have different drive paths to your music library:
1. (If possible) Identify all options/customizations in VDJ on the old PC.
2. (If possible) Write all of your music fields to the tags in your music files in VDJ on the old PC.
3. (If possible) Locate the ”VirtualDJ” folder on the old PC.
4. Copy the music/video files to the new PC.
5. (If possible) Install the same version of VDJ software on the new PC.
6. Copy the required items to the respective VirtualDJ folders on the new PC.
7. Launch VDJ on the new PC and review what’s missing .
8. Update your VirtualDJ Database on the new PC.
9. Install external DJ hardware (USB MIDI controller, external sound card, etc.) with the proper drivers on the new PC.
10. (Optional) Tweak your VirtualDJ Database XML file for missing VDJ items on the new PC.
11. (Optional) Tweak your Playlists/History (Tracklistings) xxxx.m3u files for complete access on the new PC.

If you want more detail and explanations on the reasoning behind these steps, the following is provided.

1. (If possible) Identify all options/customizations in VDJ on the old PC
Most (or all) of the following items will either not display or function correctly after moving to a new PC with a different drive path for the music library. Consequently, if you are able, first make a list of these items in VDJ from the old PC:
• Virtual (pink) folders and subfolders used, as well as a list of all songs in each Virtual folder/subfolder
• Favorites (yellow) folders and subfolders used, and the actual name of the Windows folder they are pointing to
• The songs, and the field values that you manually entered into each song, using any of the “special” VDJ fields (Field1, Field2, and Ratings).
• All songs with manually entered cue points
• The fields that you want displayed (and their order) in your browser search tab and playlist tab
• The name of the VDJ skin(s) you are using and its resolution (especially if it isn’t the default skin). To find out which one you are using, go to Config>Settings>Skins and record the one that is highlighted. Repeat for each skin you normally use.

2. (If possible) Write all of your music fields to the tags in your music files in VDJ on the old PC
If you haven’t gotten in the habit of doing this yet, you will need to do so now. I’m not sure if there is any easy way to transfer all the VDJ music fields into the tag records automatically (other than doing each music file individually in VDJ). All I know is that whatever fields are NOT in your tags will probably not be displayed after you move to the new system. I suspect this is caused by how VDJ updates its records when it recurses through your music library on the new PC and sees a different drive path to your music files. [Fortunately, I had all my music fields already written to my tags when my PC died.]

3. (If possible) Locate the ”VirtualDJ” folder on the old PC
The “VirtualDJ” folder (or ”Numark Cue” folder, if that’s the version you use) contains your VirtualDJ Database XML file(s) as well as subfolders for Playlists, Tracklistings (History), Cache (downloaded CD covers), Mappers (for devices), Plugins, Skins and the like. If you added items to any of these folders after you originally installed VDJ, make a note of them, as you’ll need to copy those added items to the respective folders on your new system (in step 6). Normally, you’ll find the VirtualDJ folder here:
• XP: C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\VirtualDJ (or Numark Cue)
• Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8.1: C:\Users\UserName\Documents\VirtualDJ (or Numark Cue)

4. Copy the music/video files to the new PC
Copy all of your music/video files (including any on external drives if possible) to one main folder on the new PC. Try to keep the path to the new music library as short as possible (such as C:\DJ Music\Artists A-Z\...). Keeping the path short is helpful because you may need to refer to this path if you wind up tweaking settings in certain VDJ files as I did (see steps 10 and 11).

5. (If possible) Install the same version of VDJ software on the new PC
To make the transition easier, if possible, install the same version of VDJ on your new PC that was used on your old PC. Installing a new software version (say, going from v7.x to v8.x) on the new PC right off the bat may introduce new folder structures, dlls, and other stuff that adds another “unknown” to the transfer process. [I used v7.2 on my old PC and installed 7.4 on my new PC.]

6. Copy the required items to the respective VirtualDJ folders on the new PC
• Copy the added items that you identified in step 3 to the respective subfolders in the VirtualDJ (or Numark Cue) folder on the new PC. Sometimes it is just easier to copy all of the subfolders at once if you don’t remember the specific items you added in each subfolder (which is OK if you’re using the same VDJ version on both PCs).
• Copy the VirtualDJ Database XML file(s) to the VirtualDJ folder (or Numark Cue folder) on the new PC. [In my situation where I had four Database XML files, I determined later that only the VirtualDJ Database v6.xml file was the ”live” one being used on my new PC with v7.x. Interestingly, on my old Vista PC, all four Database XML files were being used in some way or another to provide data for VDJ.] IMPORTANT: Make a backup copy of the VirtualDJ Database v6.xml on the new PC, as you may need to access it later in its original form (in step 10. Rename it with something like Backup old PC VirtualDJ Database v6.xml.

7. Launch VDJ on the new PC and review what’s missing
Launch VDJ and run a “recurse” through your entire music library (in the left pane, navigate to the folder containing all of your music, right-click, and select Add to Search database). When complete, make a note of what is “missing”. At this point for me, I encountered these results:
• All my music fields were missing
• All my cue points were missing
• All of the VDJ “special” fields of Field1, Field2, and Ratings were missing
• All the BPM, Key, and Track Length fields were missing
• Most of my Virtual folders (including the songs in the folders) were missing. [ In my situation, I think this was caused by having multiple Database XML files on my old PC. My Virtual folders were “scattered” among the various Database XML files, and so only the portion that was stored in my VirtualDJ Database v6.xml file displayed on my new PC.]
• All Playlists displayed with their songs, but I couldn’t access the songs to play
• All History Lists displayed with their songs, but I couldn’t access the songs to play
• All of my Favorites (yellow star) folders displayed, but the paths were off
• All of my Filter (blue) folders displayed and ran correctly

8. Update your VirtualDJ Database on the new PC
• Do a search for all of your songs (enter * in the search bar), highlight all of your songs, right-click, and select Batch > Reload tag. This allows VDJ to pick up the tags from the music files and store them in the VirtualDJ Database. [I actually needed to run this several times, probably because I had over 43,000 songs in my library.] In any case, your music fields should now display. In addition, the VDJ auto-generated Genres list in the left pane should now display your Genres from all of your music files.
• Highlight all of your songs again, right-click, and select Scan for BPMs. This allows VDJ to analyze each file and fill in the missing BPM, Key, and Track Length fields.
• If you copied over the proper files to the VirtualDJ subfolders, you should see all your special plugins and have access to your customized skins in the Config>Settings>Skins tab.
• Manually add back the fields that you want displayed and in the proper order for your browser search tab and playlist tab.
• Reset up your Favorites (yellow star) folders again. Use the notes you took in step 1 to navigate to the right folders.
• Manually add back all the virtual folders and their songs from the notes you took in step 1.*
• Manually add back the field values into all songs that used any of the “special” VDJ fields (Field1, Field2, and Ratings) from the notes you took in step 1.*
• Manually re-enter all of your manual cue points for all songs affected from the notes you took in step 1.*

*If, for some reason, you didn’t make a note of this item beforehand or there are too many to enter manually, step 10 provides an alternate method of identifying/adding these items.

9. Install external DJ hardware (USB MIDI controller, external sound card, etc.) with the proper drivers on the new PC
Make sure select the proper driver software for each external DJ device on your new PC. [I had to download new versions because I was moving from a 32-bit operating system (OS) on my old PC to a 64-bit OS on my new PC.] Verify that all hardware works properly and any special mapping of MIDI controllers came over from the old PC.

10. (Optional) Tweak your VirtualDJ Database XML file for missing VDJ items on the new PC
If you couldn’t manually re-enter all the missing items in step 8 [which happened to me], there is an alternate method for accomplishing the same thing. The VirtualDJ Database v6.xml file in the ”VirtualDJ” (or ”Numark Cue”) folder on your PC contains the “keys to the castle” for how song files are stored in VDJ. If you need to, you can open the backup Database XML file (you made in step 6) using Windows Notepad, locate the missing items you haven’t been able to fix yet, and then copy and paste the proper strings into the “live” VirtualDJ Database v6.xml file.
Here are the specific steps:
a. Make a backup of your “live” VirtualDJ Database v6.xml file. Rename it with something like Backup New PC VirtualDJ Database v6.xml.
b. Open the backup database from your old PC (that you made in step 6) by right-clicking on Backup Old PC VirtualDJ Database v6.xml and selecting Open With > Notepad.
c. Launch search by pressing Ctrl + F. Enter the proper search string for the missing item(s) you want to locate:
- VirtualFolder for virtual (pink) folders and their songs
- User1 for Field1 from VDJ special field
- User2 for Field2 from VDJ special field
- Stars for Ratings from VDJ special field
- Name="Cue 1" for the first manually entered cue position of a song
d. Locate the line (or section of lines) of the missing item. For example:
- User1 for Field1 from VDJ special field
- <VirtualFolder Name="Bride_Father Dances" Path="Wedding" Order="218"> for the beginning of a virtual folder.
e. Copy the field, line, or section as necessary to capture the necessary data.
f. Open the “live” database by right-clicking on VirtualDJ Database v6.xml and selecting Open With > Notepad.
- If you are editing a song entry that already exists, launch search by pressing Ctrl + F. Enter the proper search string for the missing item(s) you want to locate (see step “c” above).
- Locate the song string (or section of lines) you want to change/replace. At this point, you can paste the string in the proper place or you can type in the new value manually (such as for a cue point).
- If adding a new section (such as a virtual folder), enter a <CR> (it doesn’t matter where in the file, as long as it is after the end of the previous song record) before pasting, and make sure the sections ends with a line having only </VirtualFolder>.
- If you added new lines from the backup old PC database that contain <Song FilePath= xxxxx…\>, you’ll need to change the drive path to the one used for your new PC. See step 11 on how to change drive paths in files.
g. Save the file.
h. Relaunch VDJ and verify that the new item is now present.
i. If you are running into issues where the new item is not being displayed in VDJ, try manually entering the same type of “missing” item using the VDJ interface (such as a new virtual folder containing a few songs). Open up the Database XML file, locate the new item, and see how it was recorded. Then locate the pasted text you did earlier and make the necessary changes to match. [Many times, I had the correct text, but I had the wrong indentation for that section. Incidentally, this trial and error method is probably the best way to learn how to copy XML strings correctly.]
j. If you totally screw things up, you can always go back to your Backup Old PC VirtualDJ Database v6.xml file and use that one as your “live” database file (after you rename it and delete the messed up database file).

11. (Optional) Tweak your Playlists/History (Tracklistings) xxxx.m3u files for complete access on the new PC
If you want the ability to play (and not just view) the songs in your Playlists and Tracklistings (History) files in VDJ on your new PC, you’ll need to change drive path of all the songs in all of these files to the ones used on the new PC.
a. Navigate to the Playlists or Tracklisting subfolder of the VirtualDJ (or Numark Cue) folder .
b. Until you are comfortable making drive path changes in files, make a backup of whatever file you will be editing before you start.
c. Right-click on one of the xxxxxx.m3u files and select Open With > Notepad. You’ll notice drive paths for each song entry (such as “D:\DJ\Music\Artists A-Z\Bill Haley\From the Original Master Tapes\Bill Haley & His Comets-Shake, Rattle & Roll.mp3”). These strings represent the music path from your old PC and need to be changed.
d. Launch the Replace window by pressing Ctrl + H.
e. Click outside the Replace window and copy the section of music path that needs to be updated for your new PC. Using the example from above, copy just the bold part of D:\DJ\Music\Artists A-Z\Bill Haley\...
f. In the Find what field, paste this string (in our example, D:\DJ\Music\) representing the old path.
g. In the Replace with field, enter the string of the new path (such as C:\DJMusic\)
h. Click Find Next, then Replace.
i. Continue until all the instances of the old path have been located and replaced. When you get confident enough, you can click Replace All and avoid going through each change one-by-one.
j. Save the file.
k. Relaunch VDJ and verify that the songs in the Playlist/History file can be played.
l. Finish editing the remainder of the Playlist/Tracklisting files in a similar manner.

Posted Sat 11 Jul 15 @ 11:21 am
Thank you ... this was very helpful

Posted Tue 15 Dec 15 @ 4:57 pm
czhorsePRO InfinityMember since 2005
There is a much easier way:
Take the old Database.xml file, open it in Microsoft Word, click "select all" (or ctrl + A), click "replace" in the fields type the old drive letter (ie E:\) and type in the field below the new drive letter (ie F:\) then click "replace all". if Word will not let you save the file properly as an XML file, simply open Notepad, paste all of the text, then save it to the proper folder as Database.xml.
Done!

Posted Thu 21 Apr 16 @ 12:23 am
and the easiest is just go to the Drive management and change the drive letter to the right one.

Posted Thu 21 Apr 16 @ 3:15 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
And even easier, if your database is already on the drive itself (x:\virtualdj\database.xml) you don't have to do anything, regardless of which drive letter the drive has.
On loading a database from a drive, virtualdj knows which drive letter the drive has, and will replace the drive letters on opening as needed.

Posted Tue 03 May 16 @ 10:55 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)