Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: VDJ 8 (last couple builds) closing slow

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
Is anyone else experiencing VDJ 8 build 2325 and newer closing slow? By slow I mean when I click the X to close VDJ, it takes about 15 seconds before the VDJ window actually goes away. Until 15 seconds is up, it just looks like I may not have actually hit the X.

VDJ starts fast for me and runs well. Fast PC too, 2.7 ghz i7, 16 gigs ram, 2 internal SSDs (os and music). I do back up to a NAS and have mapped network drives to it, but it is only for backup. I also have the NAS drive set to ignore in VDJ. Also it closes slow with my NS7 connected or not.

It was fine until 2335 was installed (when it went public). As an NS7 user, 2335 did not work. So I installed 2325 over top of 2335. Which fixed the NS7. I can't say that, that was when the slow shutdown started, but it was right around then. I shut allo updates off until 2345 Beta and loaded that, still shuts down slow. Then installed the public 2345, still shutdown slow. Now on 2348 beta, still slow. Removed and reinstalled VDJ, still about 15 second close time. Last, I removed my settings xml, still starts in 2 seconds and closes in 15.

I also cleaned up all my effects folders. Previously I had 7 and 8 effects in there. Everything is deleteted in the plugins folder and only 8 effects are installed now.

I guess the real question is, what is VDJ doing once you hit the X?

Posted Mon 06 Jul 15 @ 9:03 pm
IMO i would rather have the interface hang around until its finished closing the database files so i know not to turn the system off too soon, though during app shutdown it would be handy if there was a little info shown where we se "Loading.." to say where its up to (even if its just "Closing...")

[edit] If you un-map your network drives would your system close v8 any faster for you?? (There might be some open threads to your network drives that are slowing things down??)

Posted Tue 07 Jul 15 @ 3:37 pm
Closes just fine for my setup. Dell XPS M1730 X9000, GTX9800M Video 8gigs of memory. Opens quickly and closes quickly, no crashes as of yet,
Just that annoying Deck 1 & 2 Volume in-differences when first initialized.
It sounds like it may be your PC not closing it correctly. Please run malwarebytes or other adware software cleaner to clean out any varmints that may be using your resources. I am pretty sure you will find a bunch of junk PUPs and other adware as the internet always seems to leak that stuff in.
This stuff will severely slow down you Laptop or PC, Even Mac gets adware. Hope this help for you.
Jon J.

Posted Tue 07 Jul 15 @ 9:56 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Have you got any active/autostarted plugins that may be delaying shutdown?

Posted Wed 08 Jul 15 @ 3:15 am
mine is 3 sec. It's not like any program (Word, IE, Excel etc...) that when you hit the "X" it closes right away.

Sometimes when I click on the "X" to close VDJ, it makes me re-click it cause I thought I missed it.

But no biggie. Just got used to it now.

Posted Wed 08 Jul 15 @ 11:13 am
SBDJ wrote :
Have you got any active/autostarted plugins that may be delaying shutdown?

I will check this out when I get home. Only running Telly Media as "Audio only visualization" and just recently added the Show Express plugin, but this issue started before that.

Not expecting an instant snap shut. Hit the X yourself and count, 1, 1000, 2, 1000. Get to 15 and you will see how long that really is and why it is long enough for concern to understand what could be happening.

As far as the mapped drives, I can drop them and try but I have seen the same behavior when they are not mounted. Essentially that should be the same.

Had one concern about TM using Adobe Flash and all the exploits going on with that these days.. Thanks for the ideas.

Posted Wed 08 Jul 15 @ 11:36 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I'm experiencing the same. Not 15 secs but maybe 10. Im running milkdrop as audioonly.
Maybe it's interesting to know how big your main database.xml is. Mine is around 40 MB on an usb 3 external connected to usb 3 port.

I too have the feeling that it started with one of the latest builds, but can't tell for sure.

Posted Wed 08 Jul 15 @ 1:57 pm
Mine is 19 meg for my music drive DB. But all my files and DB are on an internal 1 TB SSD.

I will say that SBDJ is right. I removed the Show Express plugin from the Auto Start folder and now VDJ closes in a couple seconds. That being said, at least I understand the delay, but happy to to keep the discussion going PachN if you need it.

Posted Wed 08 Jul 15 @ 7:38 pm
I'll have a look and see if I can spot what is causing the delay.

Does the delay happen if ShowXpress is connected when you close, when it's not connected, or both? Might help narrow it down for me.

Posted Wed 08 Jul 15 @ 8:39 pm
In most cases it was not connected. I have Show Express on another laptop that I don't normally fire up. I can set that up tonight for testing if it help, but I would say most cases not connected.

Also running Win 7 64 bit if that helps.

Edit, just wanted to add. Like others the slow shut down is not a big issue. I just like to understand odd behavior, you never know when that knowledge can come in handy. Thanks for your time Scott

Posted Thu 09 Jul 15 @ 8:10 am
Very sorry, had some obligations that I forgot about last night and lost track of this test. I will revisit it tonight.

Posted Fri 10 Jul 15 @ 8:13 am
Sorry for the delays, I was getting some strange results and wanted to be sure I ran all versions of testing. Each time VDJ was closed on the primary laptop and then VDJ was restarted after the lighting laptop was in the specified state.

For clarity, the Primary laptop is music only so that is where VDJ is. The secondary laptop lights only so that runs Show Express.

1. If the second lighting laptop is started, then SX is started. Then on the primary laptop VDJ is started along with the SX plugin being automatically connected (verified by passing the beat grid). VDJ can close fast, about 2 seconds.

2. If the second lighting laptop is then restarted and no programs are running (so SX not started). VDJ can close in about 4 seconds.

3. If the second SX computer is off and completely unavailable, VDJ takes about 15 seconds to close.

Posted Sun 12 Jul 15 @ 5:42 pm
Thank you :)

Posted Mon 13 Jul 15 @ 2:37 am
Thanks for thes informations. It's useful.

Posted Mon 13 Jul 15 @ 11:29 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)